Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <1 124125126
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tamaterau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 8:52pm
Tamaterau View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Smudge,

Not sure where your workmate is based but kayak fishing is definitely the go in the harbour. I kayak fished for years before getting a boat and did way better in a yak than boat.

So here’s the go: nuclear chook curly tail gulps, fish morning or late arvo. You need the tide to be moving.

High tide, fish the flats, 2-5m of water. A decent sounder let’s you find where the fish are feeding.

Low tide outgoing can be great in the back eddies, 5-7m on the corners of the banks as the fish move out of the shallows and load up.

Softies are the go as they tend to get the worthwhile fish ( there’s a heap of pickers around if using bait).

There are bigger fish about but mostly in the 35-45cm range. Later season you get 55cm + jobs.

Quiet from now through mid-jan as they spawn out in bream bay but after that it’s insanely easy fishing.

Kayaks are great as they are stealthy so you can fish very shallow.

The deep channels are barren.

Overfalls often hold schools of small trevally.

Harbour currents can run at 3-5knots so you do need to be fit. Drift, don’t anchor.

That should get him started.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 9:04pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tamaterau Tamaterau wrote:

Hi Smudge,

Not sure where your workmate is based but kayak fishing is definitely the go in the harbour. I kayak fished for years before getting a boat and did way better in a yak than boat.

So here’s the go: nuclear chook curly tail gulps, fish morning or late arvo. You need the tide to be moving.

High tide, fish the flats, 2-5m of water. A decent sounder let’s you find where the fish are feeding.

Low tide outgoing can be great in the back eddies, 5-7m on the corners of the banks as the fish move out of the shallows and load up.

Softies are the go as they tend to get the worthwhile fish ( there’s a heap of pickers around if using bait).

There are bigger fish about but mostly in the 35-45cm range. Later season you get 55cm + jobs.

Quiet from now through mid-jan as they spawn out in bream bay but after that it’s insanely easy fishing.

Kayaks are great as they are stealthy so you can fish very shallow.

The deep channels are barren.

Overfalls often hold schools of small trevally.

Harbour currents can run at 3-5knots so you do need to be fit. Drift, don’t anchor.

That should get him started.

I learnt something there, thanks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 7:25pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tamaterau some good there !👍 

How did everyone get on today..? Pearler conditions.  My pots were empty so moved to bream rocks and picked up 9 snapper ,2 trevally, 1 kawahai. Found a suitable rock to fish and the bite was warming up nicely then 4 boats parked around me within talking distance and divers and spears dropped below me. Think I picked the wrong spot! Filleted and time to head to the ramp. Relaxing cruise checking out all the different types and styles of vessels enjoying the day too.

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 10:16am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

Tamaterau some good there !👍 

How did everyone get on today..? Pearler conditions.  My pots were empty so moved to bream rocks and picked up 9 snapper ,2 trevally, 1 kawahai. Found a suitable rock to fish and the bite was warming up nicely then 4 boats parked around me within talking distance and divers and spears dropped below me. Think I picked the wrong spot! Filleted and time to head to the ramp. Relaxing cruise checking out all the different types and styles of vessels enjoying the day too.

Good stuff. Glad you go on to some fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 10:40am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went out early yesterday morning. Even at 0500, only just got the last space in the first car park at the OBC Smile

Great conditions. 

No workups in the area where I had last seen them, so went to 3 Mile Reef. Got a few nibbles, then a respectable john dory on a soft bait.

Bumped in to NZTurtle who was getting in to some good snapper.

A little later in the morning, the workups kicked off in 30 metres. Gannets diving, dolphins and heaps of boat. Sounder was full of bait. Bites were sporadic, but fish were decent. 

Unusually for me, I was out to get a limit of snapper as we needed fillets for a special occasion. That was achieved in a couple of hours and the chilly bin was bulging!

Don't think I was the only one doing well judging by the whoops and screams from the other boats. Hearing kids screaming when they caught a big fish put a smile on my face Smile

There were a large number of boats and jetskis fishing a small area and everyone was respectful and good humoured which was great to see Thumbs Up

Fantastic morning on the water!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 1:06pm
jock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice positive report and beautiful photos MB.
That's a yummy looking snapper you're holding up.. Fatso!!(not you, The fishLOL)
We're hoping to get out this week ahead, so I'll probably post a few tips on where not to go and what not use LOL.
Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 8:13pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

MBThat was me who found you Saturday. We did ok too best was 670. Fishing under those fast moving workups wasn't that great we found if you didn't get right into it there was no bite. Saw most of the others were struggling too so moved and picked up most of ours not under the workups. Took us to 14:30 and plenty of water covered. Today a bit wider Checked out a few spots and found the one that worked in 45m, heading home by 09:00. BTW that spot we met on again was stacked full of snapper again today but I couldn't get them to bite. Had that there before in the morning and came back in the afternoon and smashed them. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 9:57pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

MBThat was me who found you Saturday.

Oops, sorry, old age setting in! Embarrassed

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Fishing under those fast moving workups wasn't that great we found if you didn't get right into it there was no bite.

Totally agree! Either there were fewer snapper than expected under the bait or there was so much bait that our lures weren't very interesting to them. No kingfish around either. Also, forgot to say in my trip report that I couldn't get a bite on micro-jigs or slow pitch jigs which normally do well for me in these situations.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:41pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome report MB. Love it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 7:46pm
jock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Me and Missus got out on the water today. Total catch was 4 nice pannie snapper, 3 of which were caught by my wife in quick succession on MY rod while i was busy trying to unravel a helluvah birdsnest on her reel . I caught mine straight after handing her rod back and  then the fish disappeared. 
We were fishing workups next to an anchored ship , something "Wisdom". lots of fish on sounder but no takers on various softies and Inchikus. Dropped a good string puller near No. 2 buoy on bait. Fish were caught drifting using squid bait.
Wind picked up a wee bit around 2:00pm but otherwise pretty flat.
Great wee day on the water.LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 11:38pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good work Jock Thumbs Up
Page  <1 124125126