Whangarei Harbour report.

Page  <1 123124125126127 129>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:12am
jock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi MB, we used softies,squid, mussels, pillies,piper and even some calf liver. That's a very cool techno looking chariot your riding. I'd almost expect to see someone like Batman sitting on itWink.
I'll keep my eye out for you. Our boat, a Huntsman Dorado "Tenacity". Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:21am
jock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Reel Deal, we only moved up here ourselves back in 2018 and settled in Maunu. Still finding our feet with local fishing. We're fortunate that we can get out during the week but still dont get out as often we'd like/should. Need to get my act together and get out more. Time on the water, eh!
 Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:45am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by jock jock wrote:

Hi MB, we used softies,squid, mussels, pillies,piper and even some calf liver. That's a very cool techno looking chariot your riding. I'd almost expect to see someone like Batman sitting on itWink.
I'll keep my eye out for you. Our boat, a Huntsman Dorado "Tenacity". Cheers

There's definitely days out there when lures of one kind or another will beat bait hands down. I know this because my regular fishing buddy often uses bait while I am slow jigging. Something about microjigs and slow pitch jigs seems to drive snapper crazy. Having said that, fishing is fishing and the reverse is sometimes true. If you really want to catch fish, something like a kabura or inchiku tipped with bait is close to full proof provided you find the fish.

Come say hello at the ramp Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:01am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Catch of the (Tues)day at Coppermine Reef. I was mechanical jigging for kingfish and a reasonable snapper turned up. Otherwise, a few smaller snapper, a gurnard, a trevally and big kahawai that got sent straight back down as livebait. Something hit it hard, but no hook-up unfortunately. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:32am
jock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Will do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 3:11pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Spent most of Friday morning towing or drifting a large livebait in likely spots for kingfish, but no interest. Tried mechanical jigging and got a hook-up straight away, but busted on reef which was bloody annoying! No further interest despite my best efforts. Needed a couple of snapper for ourselves and a neighbour. Caught a few 35cm fish on softbait and microjig without too much trouble. Also landed a donkey kahawai which went well in the smoker. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 4:17pm
jock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good Report MB. Clap

There's many a day (when almost blanking out), that a previously considered pesky kahawai, jumps on and becomes the life saving catch of the day.
My mate was out today around the three mile reef area and 40mt.
Not a "sausage" on baits and softies.
I think I'll need to give those slow jigs a shot. Anything in particular type/weight/colour that stands out?
Cheers

Ps I just saw now that you previously mentioned Kabura, InchikuLOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 4:41pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think I'll need to give those slow jigs a shot. Anything in particular type/weight/colour that stands out?
Cheers

Ps I just saw now that you previously mentioned Kabura, InchikuLOL

Always orange whatever you decide on, maybe that's just me LOL

Either inchiku or kabura. I've found kaburas catch more fish, but the average size is smaller. 60, 80 or 100g covers most depths/drift speeds in Bream Bay when the wind isn't out of control. 

I don't want to add to the hype about the Grumpy Fish lures, but they do seem to work. Haven't quite worked out if they're better than standard kaburas though. 

Don't forget to find the fish first. I rarely drop without sign, even if it's just one big fish. Add a slither of bait if the fishing is hard or slack water. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 5:11pm
jock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks MB
I'd better give the old "wallet moths" a shake up then.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 5:46pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I took the missus for a overnighter to watch the lunar eclipse and keep an eye on my pots. Zilch on both fronts. Overcast all night and zero in the pots. Was good to see what it’s like overnighting. Even with carpet covering the cabin it was still noisy (tinnie) but did get to sleep…about 10 times. Got some funny looks cruising in through the heads and to Parua ramp with many in long lines going the other way at just after dawn.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 4:46pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ok lads got a nice weather window over the weekend. 

Whats the plan?
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 6:28pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

With all the new forum activity, I meant to post something about my trip on Monday, then forgot Smile

Bream Bay workups were going off at 30 metres. Snapper were hitting big softies skipped across the surface intended for kingfish. Didn't get a kingfish, but had a pack of rats chasing lures. It was hard work not to catch snapper! Took two fish home, one for ourselves and one for a neighbour. I'm not in to catch and release, so came home.

I'll either avoid the crowds and try for kingfish again on Saturday, or take my 7 year old boy fishing if he's keen.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:04pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

MB a workmate has just moved to Whangarei heads, I have never fished that area. He has a yak & I'm 'helping' him to use softbaits. Any chance of a pm  - or a post here - that I can pass on to him?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:09pm
jock View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ORANGE !!! Softy, has been noted, LOL.Wink
That's amazing catching snaps so high up in 30 mt.
Conditions looked beautiful.
Good stuff, cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:16pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have been turning left out of the heads by the looks I should be heading right! Great action there MB. I’ve got a new fishfinder arriving this weekend but too late for my next trip grr. Hoping to get some snaps for my wife’s work Xmas party.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 9:54pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

MB a workmate has just moved to Whangarei heads, I have never fished that area. He has a yak & I'm 'helping' him to use softbaits. Any chance of a pm  - or a post here - that I can pass on to him?

Happy to help out. The harbour can be an unfriendly place to a kayaker, or indeed anyone. Strong currents, heaps of boats and can chop up real bad in a southwesterly, so caution is advised! As such, I don't think venturing outside the harbour is a good idea. I've seen very few people do it on a yak. Ironically, conditions are often much better outside the harbour, it's getting out that's the problem. 

That said, I know a few people who fish inside the harbour from a yak and do well, especially in the summer months. I think they use bait and burley. Fishing in the harbour is not something I've mastered, so can't be too helpful with specifics. Unfortunately, the strong currents are going to make life difficult for a novice soft baiter. 

A lot of people launch off Tamaterau and fish just off the beach. A launch over the little bar at the Pataua estuary would be OK if conditions and tides were right, otherwise it's jumping in a car and heading to the Tutukaka Coast which is more kayak friendly. Not something a kayak fisho who has moved to the Heads wants to hear I'm sure!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 9:58pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ORANGE !!! Softy, has been noted, LOL.Wink

LOL

That's amazing catching snaps so high up in 30 mt.
Conditions looked beautiful.
Good stuff, cheers.

Think I've only had that happen once before. Add in the flat sea and it was a pretty special day. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 10:00pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

I have been turning left out of the heads by the looks I should be heading right! Great action there MB.

Cheers. Turning right is definitely something to consider during spring Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 5:59am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Happy to help out. The harbour can be an unfriendly place to a kayaker, or indeed anyone. Strong currents, heaps of boats and can chop up real bad in a southwesterly, so caution is advised! As such, I don't think venturing outside the harbour is a good idea. I've seen very few people do it on a yak. Ironically, conditions are often much better outside the harbour, it's getting out that's the problem. 

That said, I know a few people who fish inside the harbour from a yak and do well, especially in the summer months. I think they use bait and burley. Fishing in the harbour is not something I've mastered, so can't be too helpful with specifics. Unfortunately, the strong currents are going to make life difficult for a novice soft baiter. 

A lot of people launch off Tamaterau and fish just off the beach. A launch over the little bar at the Pataua estuary would be OK if conditions and tides were right, otherwise it's jumping in a car and heading to the Tutukaka Coast which is more kayak friendly. Not something a kayak fisho who has moved to the Heads wants to hear I'm sure!

Thanks. I think he's happy just to stay in close in the harbour but I'll pass that info on.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 1:59pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks. I think he's happy just to stay in close in the harbour but I'll pass that info on.

Sounds sensible. If I was kayak fishing, I'd stick to the bays and avoid the main channels and current. Could be fun exploring with a soft bait.
Page  <1 123124125126127 129>