Whakatane

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whakatane
    Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 9:42am
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

After our near death experience on the last trip out it was great to have the boat up and running properly. Plenty of skippies still around the ten mile, we trolled for 1/2 an hour and got 6. April to October are my favourite months to fish, the tarakihi are easy to find and for us April/May are awesome months for kingis. 

We tried for tarakihi first and boom! Straight in to them. In the interests of conservation we stopped at 36. We got a couple of good sized ones but not the 2kg plus models we were getting through summer. The day was still young so we stopped on the way home for a snapper fish. Ended up with 12 pannies (best around 31/2 kg) and a couple of gurnard. Great weather as well, perfect day out.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 3:48pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good results and nice haul there, what happened last trip...almost come a gutser on the bar??
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 10:27am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That’s a seriously productive looking chilly bin . Nice sized terakihi
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 6:07pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Haha slight exaggeration for effect Catchelot. My motor stopped 100 metres from the bar on an out going tide a couple of weeks ago. I had just had the motor serviced and they didn't fill the filter with gas before screwing it on. Used up the fuel in the line and....... nothing. Frantically threw the anchor out and got a tow back to the ramp. It could have been much worse. Another 100 metres and well who knows. Would have been a good test for my boat though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 8:11pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice bin full there Reiver, after reading the first sentence thought another victim on the bar. A good ending for worrying time, dont think I would want to be testing my boat on the bar with no power.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 5:06pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Perfect day out weather wise yesterday. Still some nice skippies around the 10 mile, we caught another 7 $16 dollar notes on the way out to our spots yesterday.

I don't normally take more than 3 people in the boat, it just gets too crowded, but a friend of a friend wanted to tick a kingi off his bucket list so 4 of us headed out targeting  tarakihi and hoping for a kingi. We ended up getting Bart a kingi, not a monster at 17kg but he was rapt. The tarakihi were biting well, we ended up with 75 plus a couple of pinkies to top the bin off. Nothing big like our last trips but an awesome feed.  No snapper this trip, we had a good bin full of fish and decided not to stop on the way back in. Flat out with work for the next couple of weeks, hopefully we will be able to get out again in June.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 5:52pm
Platinum
Platinum

Making it sound easy catching those Taraki. What depth are you fishing in to get them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 8:47am
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sorry Muzz did not see this earlier. These were all around 130 metres. Found a nice patch of them and just kept working it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 11:28am
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

First day out for a while yesterday. Bad weather, mechanical failure and work work work have conspired to limit the fishing opportunities.

I had to teach in the morning so didn't get to Whakatane until 11:00am but what a stunning day. Next to no wind and quite mild.

Straight out to one of our tarakihi spots and straight in to them. We got about 30 in a couple of hours and a decent (around 20kg) kingfish that had its tail removed by a shark on the way up. Tried another couple of spots for a co

uple

more tarakihi and a couple of sharks then fished a spot I have been wanting to target for a while. 6 snapper and 4 decent gurnard to round the day off. Awesomely 

awesome.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 2:06pm
Platinum
Platinum

A good bin full there, well done. That kingi is a perfect fit for the chilli bin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:33pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was a great day Muzz. Snapper in 105 metres! Never picked them up that deep before
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 6:03am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Reiver! must of been great to get into them again after a break!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 9:45am
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sure was Geoff. Really looking forward to Spring
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 2:34pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice to get out again at last yesterday. Perfect conditions, the new Minn Kota works well. I haven't been out fo rages and was a bit worried I would have to work a bit to find them but boom, straight in. We ended up with about 50 fish Mostly tarakihi and other reefy things.

Not sure what this is. We caught it on the bottom in 120 metres.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 10:21pm
Platinum
Platinum

Nice Reiver good healthy looking bin. Looks like an electric reel in the first pic making the fishing a breeze. How did you like the Minn Kota
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 5:41am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fishing again Reiver! Wot are the red fish in bin like to eat?Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:46am
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Muzzfishing Muzzfishing wrote:

Nice Reiver good healthy looking bin. Looks like an electric reel in the first pic making the fishing a breeze. How did you like the Minn Kota
    Hi Muzz the Minn Kota worked well, still getting used to it. Makes life a bit easier. Had an issue with it cutting out/losing the connection with the remote. I will get it sorted eventually!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:49am
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Nice fishing again Reiver! Wot are the red fish in bin like to eat?Beer
   Hi Geoff really good to be out on the water again for sure. The red things are red snapper, pretty good to eat (not as good as a normal snapper imo) . You catch some good sized ones at White Island.   https://www.seafoods.com/product/93-new-zealand-red-snapper    PM me if you are still keen to catch a tarakihi, I should be free for most of January
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 3:54pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Does anyone have any updates on the Rahui currently in place in and around the Whakatane waters? Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 7:36pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The latest I can find is "until further notice'.  Maybe just in time to go back to work?
Page  123>