Wellington Yakkers

Page  <1 23456 380>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2007 at 7:49am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi All

Slab,   cant make it either but will be there on Sunday. the weather is for fine but increasing northerlies. so looks like Makara may be out.

Rainbow,    We have pretty much got things underway now. We will be affiliated to the Wellington Canoe and Kayak shop. had a meeting there last tuesday to sort a few things out. numbers wise there were about 6-7 people there for the meeting but a few had there apologies in and going by the amount of interest through this site and the shop there could be an initial membership of 10-20. which is not a bad start point. forum members that attended were  Myself (kiwifred), Slab, Nodrog,mrcar and yakity yaker plus a couple of others.

if any one is interested in joining then either contact myself for details or pop in to the canoe and kayak shop at ngarunga and have a chat with Jim and Andy.

we are also getting together this sunday for a fish (weather permitting) either at Makara or the south coast depending on wind direction

Regards Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2007 at 1:10pm
tawa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Erik, didn't get a msg regarding the meeting, will pop down & c jim & get on the msg list. slab would love 2 but also got to earn some $$. can't make sunday but keen some other time, cheers tawa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2007 at 2:16pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi all

Tawa  i try to post stuff here as i get it or hear about it

will have to get together sometime for sure

regards Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 10:21am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi

Slab  where is this reef you have? I fancy a bit of terakihi.
are we still getting together on Sunday?? i might have to pop into C & K and see what the biz is

regards Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2007 at 7:34pm
Slab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

looks like I'll be by myself tomorrow, weather looks sweet. My wee spot is not far off Owhiro Bay. Hope to post some ego pictures Fri night.......either that or a few pics of blind eels...watch this space.

Probably a no go for Sunday given fishing time allocation policy at home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 3:26pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well the weather looks like a northerlie coming through so Makara is out . worser bay is the go and we meet at 8am at the lifesaving club for a gathering and plot the mornings doings

any and all welcome

regards Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mrcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 7:20pm
mrcar View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Count me in Erik - got the go ahead from the mrs. So alls good 0274577897
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2007 at 11:36am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi mike see you there then

Regards Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mrcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 6:26pm
mrcar View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 6:33pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So how did you guys get on?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 9:54pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi All

well after a gathering at Worser bay yacht club the intrepid yak fishers (mrcar and kiwifred) headed out into worsening weather. we initially went north but the wind was increasing so we did an about turn and headed to breaker bay. as we got nearer to the point the wave action was getting pretty good with the northerlie pushing them along nicely. got around the point and into a straight paddle to breaker bay with a tail wind. heard my name called so looked around to see Mike checking the bottom of his kayak why he didnt do this prior to starting ill never know. turned around and picked up a couple of items he didnt seem to want and we got under way once more.
once we got into the lee of  the hill the sea flattened considerably and we got into a bit of action with the resident fish population. all small and all returned we both hooked up on a bright red fish with a black vertical band on its tail. (any names for this would be appreciated) also a couple of spotties and  some blue cod. didnt want to go away empty so kept the one legal fish. all the while the wind was increasing in strength so we thought it prudent to make wakes for home. got into the begining of the paddle and found that the wind was really getting up and corrispondingly the waves. so i did the manly thing and chickened out. mike carried on in his speed machine and went to retrieve the car and drove back down to pick me up off the beach. all in all a very good experience with some wind and wave action and a few lessons learned on my behalf with regards to my setup and how my prowler acts in the wind. 
point of action for me is to get into the surf and learn how to ride those tail waves.

Regards Erik

PS thanks for the company Mike and that photo in no way does justice to the wind /wave action
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2007 at 9:58pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

oh yeah

due to prior commitments the turn out was less than expected but given the weather totally predictable
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2007 at 11:29pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You gotta watch that man Mike as he will sneak up on you with his camera when you least expect it. Good to put a face to the name Erik.

Have been wanting to say this for a while...big ups to you for getting the ball rolling on the yak fishing club Thumbs%20Up. Hopefully I will be able to join you and the others out for a paddle/fish very soon. I'm still a relative newbie in this area and I look forwards to swapping ideas on the water.

Any plans this weekend?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 1:11pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Sooshee

Not only me there but thanks . Jim and Andy at Canoe and Kayak have also been doing some work and we can use there place as a central point of contact the KFC (kayak fishing club) will be run similar to the yakkity yak club.

as to getting together for a fish i try and get out once a week and that day in the winter is looking to be sunday. if its to rough for a fish i just go for a paddle.I also am a relative newbie when it comes to the yak fishing scene so am looking to get time on the water to build up my skills.

having Mike with me on sunday was great especillay given the conditions. the main lesson i learnt was the amount of impact the wind has on a kayak ( glad i have a rudder) i was well impressed when mike carried on to pick up the car. i was not very keen what with the wind and waves being what they were. so had to beach at breaker bay and wait for mike to return with the car and trailer.

regards Erik

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 8:04pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi all

i understand through conversation with acouple of guys at work that the fish may have been a banded rass??  any ideas on where i could view some pictures to confirm this?

regards Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 9:52pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi Erik.

Good to hear that your club is jelling well.   Time on the water is time well spent.   You can read all the books and all the posts and helpful as these are, they are no substitute for practical experience in all sort of conditions.     In following big chop (not surf) the arse end of the yak really wiggles around.    Although this feels unnerving it isn't dangerous.    Not sure if a rudder counteracts this as the yak has to go faster than the wave push to make a rudder work.    I usually react with the paddle to stay on course.     After you have been through that a few times you get to enjoy the extra push, especially on the homeward trip.    

Yes, I did notice that Mike was carrying a bit of disposable "ballast" on deck when we shadowed him up here in the Naki.   Pity he did not jettison any he probaly would have made the weight-in on time.  

Banded Wrasse sounds about right.

Cheers

Rainbow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 10:36pm
tawa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hi erik,
as i drove along hutt road on Sat to leave wgtn for the nite I thought - wgtn doesn't get any better than this for yakking, i shud be on the water.
On sunday I retnd along the hutt road and wondered........ well done?Big%20smiletawa.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 7:56am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi all

going by the pictures it looks to be the scarlet wrasse

regards Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 4:04pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

weather looks like it may be ok on sunday. anyone up for a fish?

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2007 at 10:50pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well, the 11month old seemed to have developed a taste for fish so I decided to scoot out for a quick one near our house for some blue cod.

I only had a couple of hours so decide to dispense with bait/burley/anchor and just went with a few SPs.

It has been about 2 months since I got out on the yak and it was telling as I struggled (no trolley)with the yak on to the beach. I don't remember it being so heavy!

The condition was near perfect, just a 5knot breeze and <1metre swell further out.

Ended up with a couple of blueys and a big kahawai, plus hooked and lost a couple of others.

The kahawai made a fantastic curry for the adults Thumbs%20Up:
But the blue cod turned out so-so this timeThumbs%20Down. Yep, a $5/kg fish won against a $25/kg fish tonight!

Page  <1 23456 380>