Wellington Yakkers

Page  <1 377378379380>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 4:18pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by jules75 jules75 wrote:

By hoki that's a good Moki! Well done. How's the water temp at the moment? Makara?

That's a tarakihi Jules, you obviously need to get out more! Wink

Water temp was 12deg, think it was a little less last time I was out so it's on the rise slowly. Yeah was out Mak, was a beautiful day I couldn't help but call the boss at 8am to ask for the day off followed by the quickest 'chuck everything in/on the car' to get my girl off to school in time on the way.
PB Snapper: 17.6lb/76cm (14/05/2017) | PB Blue Cod 49cm (17/06/2017)| PB Kingfish 76cm | PB Tarakihi 53cm (04/09/2017)| PB Moki 54cm (17/06/2017)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 5:22pm
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Haha 😂 Yes yr absolutely right I do. Very nice Turkey then. I feel a bit like a turkey for my mis judgement ☺. Cheers Ants
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Another Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 10:14am
Another Rob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Guy's,

I'm not sure if it has been posted before, but I found a webcam that shows a panoramic view of Kapiti island/Paraparaumu coastline. A neat function is that you can quickly view the previous 24 hours, giving you a better idea of conditions.

https://www.groundtruth.co.nz/kapiti-project-webcam

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yak'N It Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 4:43pm
Yak'N It View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Haven't been on the yak forum for a wee while but I bumped into Antz and his crew and said hello to them on the way back in on Saturday. Went out from Lyall Bay mid morning hoping for a quick dinner mission for some lovely fresh gurnard. Steamed past the lads to my generally never fail spot and surprise, surprise, after 20 or so minutes the carrots were coming on board. With the weather being changeable for the worse and 5 reasonable fish on board I packed it in and went to see how the others were fairing. They seemed to be catching there fare share of kahawai, a quick conversion and I was home bound. Nice to see the gurnard in good condition as I don't normally fish for them till October.   

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 6:36pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice carrots mate. "Steamed past the lads" was exactly how we felt, we actually said 'he looks like he knows where he's going'. We actually started off close to the area you headed but didn't anchor just paddled around dropping on sign til heading in a bit and anchoring when the wind started coming in.
PB Snapper: 17.6lb/76cm (14/05/2017) | PB Blue Cod 49cm (17/06/2017)| PB Kingfish 76cm | PB Tarakihi 53cm (04/09/2017)| PB Moki 54cm (17/06/2017)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JT Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 9:14pm
JT Yakker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Guys/Gals,

Launched yesterday morning at 0545 from Paraparaumu Boat Club for a mission across to the northern end of Kapiti Island for an early season Kingi mission. It took 60min to paddle the 8km in the old Stealth 525 and with bait balls showing on the sounder things were looking promising  :D . However after a couple of hours of jigging, all I had to show was numerous "Barrys" and KY  :( . I spent the remainder of the morning exploring "Boulder Bank" up to Tokahaki Pt and whilst I missed my only opportunity at a school of Kingies, I did manage to snare dinner in the form of a couple of decent Blue Cod. With the water temp hovering around 13.5 I reckon it will be a couple weeks more until the Kingies show up in better numbers. By midday the tide was turning, the NW wind was building and I needed to get back in time to vote. So I put the foot down and with a large amount of assistance from the elements  :rofl: I covered the 8km back to the boat club in 45min  :y: .

Cheers,

JT

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote leakymalibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 8:15am
leakymalibu View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great mission there, pretty epic paddling that far out! I'm looking to head south coast on Sunday morning to try berley for some gurnard, freezer is full of venison and beef but no fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Another Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 6:17am
Another Rob View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Tomorrow looks ok, weather-wise...
I hope to get out at Pukerua bay.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote danmuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 9:22pm
danmuss View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Beaut conds at Puk bay on sat arvo. While most of the boys managed a early start i had to work through until 1:30pm.
Then it was a quick dash home,bite to eat & gear up. 
It had been months since i had been out & even longer since i had landed a decent fish. Anyways found Anthony on the sand picked up a couple of gurnad then headed in for a last effort on the reef.
Boom 10mins in & a lovely 42cm fat snap! happy days...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JT Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 7:09pm
JT Yakker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Been a bit quiet on here lately so here is a couple of pic's from yesterday's solo mission.  3 x Kingies over 12kg.  Biggest was approx 16kg (released).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 7:50pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice got some good kings down that way
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JT Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 8:10pm
JT Yakker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers Muppet.  They are in very good condition at the moment.  This 105cm one I kept for the smoker went 13.3kg.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 8:15pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks great JT you jigging them or livebaiting still?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JT Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 8:29pm
JT Yakker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Jigging mate and losing heaps of weight LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 7:52am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I should take up jigging then
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 8:58am
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice!! Thanks for posting. Was it at Kapiti Island???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JT Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 4:04pm
JT Yakker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Jules - yep Kapiti mate.  Will also be hitting Hunters in the Stealth soon as well.  Went out there today for a recce in a boat and picked up a 10kg eater before the wind got up.  Just need to time the tide and weather conditions right Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JT Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 5:24pm
JT Yakker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Been playing with a new jigging technique recently.  Seems to be working pretty well Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 10:17pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done JT very nice King, nice spot down there Approve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 2:13pm
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Had one of my best fishing sessions in a long while yesterday. Mike and I were on the water at around 6:15am. Was thinking of usual spot over sand but because of moderate S.E. winds we decided to pull up a bit shorter. Once anchored up and pumping berley we didn't have to wait long at all before the action started. First fish Snapper yeeha! Then just constant bites and fish. Both Mike and I were blessed with fish after fish. It barely hit the bottom before bites and hook ups for the almost the entire time we were out. One of those magic days.
By 8:30am Mike decided he had enough for family with 6 or 7 Snapper so he headed in. I stayed on as i had some friends in mind to give some to as well as for the fam.
I was very happy with 9 pan sized Snapper but with one last pilchard left -(a very manky old one at that!) I managed to pull in slightly bigger model to make 10. Paddled in at 9:30am feeling chuffed. Such a hot hot summer down here in Welly as well as most of the country. Water temp was reported to be 20deg, so very condusive to Snapper fishing.
How have others down here faired?
Page  <1 377378379380>