Wellington Yakkers

Page  <1 376377378379380>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kahawai_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 1:12am
kahawai_guy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice catch mate!

Anyone here spearfishing from the yak. Looking for a free diving buddy to get shellfish, crays and Butterfish etc. Safety in numbers etc.

Planning to spearfish PB, titahi Bay and makara.

Semi new to spearing from the Kayak but keen as!

Pm me if keen, the more the merrier!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:17am
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What a stunning day on the water on Saturday out west as those who were out there im sure will agree! 10/10. I took my next door neighbors boy out who is 15 and he loved it. Plenty of fish around mainly Kahawai where we were. Lost count of how many I caught. A few other species too with good sized Trevally
for me Alex got a nice one too. I only one Snapper but nice one. Heard of others getting some good Snapper like Rondo. Was nice to meet ya mate!
How did others fare?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 4:34pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work Jules and good on ya getting the younger fellas out.

Pretty quiet (for me), Couple snaps, tarakihi, and another JD in the mix again.

My buddy managed 3 snaps. We all got plenty of kahawai as well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 2:22pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shot out to for a fish this morning. Felt a bit crook and it was pretty lumpy, so wasn't out for too long before heading in to land.

But it only took 15mins to hook this snap...they are getting bigger..

17.6lb.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 2:25pm
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice!!!! You will be well pleased. Glad to know they are still there. Enjoy the eating of the beast. 😃
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 4:32pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well done Ants - that's a beast. I'll get out one days soon I'm sure Unhappy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:56am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

was down at seaview early sunday morning and what a morning it was. clear and windless. watching 3 large workups moving around the harbour. looks like the winter kahawai schools are moving in.
awesome fish there Ants
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 4:05pm
Rondo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Excellent fish Antz! 

Kiwifred, There were a lot of big kahawai out by the motorway end of Petone too when I was out on sunday afternoon for a quick fish,  lures, no bait. caught a few easy.  I did the same thing in the same place last mothers day...  I guess we have an answer then to the question "Should I go fishing on Mothers Day?" OH YES!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 8:32am
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Headed out to Pukerua for a cheeky fish on Wed afternoon but only had a short window as wifey was heading out in the evening. Paddled out in pretty good conditions. I was the only soul in the water for the whole 2 hours!! I am very fortunate being self employed that I can do that. Anyway fishing was action packed with not more than a few minutes between catching fish on the two rods albeit mainly Kahawai. They were thick on the ground. Must have caught 15 plus. 2 Ky on 2 hooks was fun! Did manage 2 reasonable Snapper tho and a nice Trevally. A few small sharks at the end. All in all a great outing. Getting colder tho so Lord willing maybe not too many more until late spring for me. Jules 🎣⚓
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 10:22am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good on ya for getting out Jules. Sounds like kahawai are everywhere at the moment.

Certainly is getting colder. While killing time in the City on Friday evening waiting for a mate, sitting in the car on facebook, I suddenly realised Fergs may be open late and sure enough, they were til 8pm so I had 30mins to kill! Went in for a 'browse' but then I was out the counter and leaving with a bag of a couple new clothing items for winter. Hoping to order some new footwear this week too for these colder months.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote James82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 5:42pm
James82 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Guys
We are having a go at getting a proper club set up for the local Yak fishers in Wellington.
I see this has been tried once before some 10 years ago, I guess there was a lack of engagement.
There seems to me more and more of us on the water and I reckon it's time to try again. I have put some feelers out on Facebook and there seems to be more than a bit of interest
Would be great to have a club to rival some of our Northern neighbours, hold regular club events, guest speakers and eventually a big comp to attract some of those from up north, see how they handle our conditions! :lol:

I want to hear from anyone who would be interesting in joining, or if you have some ideas about how it could be run, what you would like to get from it and if you are really keen, to be involved.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 12:16pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi James

we had a pretty informal club type thing going back when i first started this thread and we had informal monthly gatherings at Canoe and Kayak when Jim owned it. we also did group outings and trips away to the naki classic. that initial core group of guys still (in the most part) remain in touch and occasionly fish together. but you are right in that there are now a lot more people involved. the sport has progressed a lot with the new yaks etc 
maybe put up a venue with a date/time and open it up to all to have a get together/meet/drink just to see what the response would be possibly be. at a venue like fergs or canoe and kayak or workingmans club.
there is of course this site. the kayakfishingnz site and facebook

Regards Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:29am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Few reports from the weekend? Weather was awesome.

Managed to get out on Sat, first time out since I got my PB snap over a month ago but appears I still remember how to finish managing 2 more PB fish!!

Different fishing to usual, didn't take any berley and no anchoring, just a couple squid fillets and some lures. Fished 1 ledger rig all day with squid (tried lures and a softbait every now and again).

First fish of the day a 49cm blue cod (PB)! Nice small currents mean the drift was really slow, got my second second decent him, this time feeling different and couldn't pick what it was. After getting it up from 50m deep up pops a 54cm Moke!! Stoked another PB!! 

Managed a couple other legal cods, and a 57cm Kahawai too. Couple of the boys got legals kingis, few JDs and a 51cm blue cod also.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 7:53am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

weekend weather turned out ok but couldnt get out. was down at Petone foreshore sunday morning and lots of birds all over the harbor with a big mass down at the motorway end.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote leakymalibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 3:56pm
leakymalibu View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Gday everyone. New to wellies, moved down from Auckland and seems to be either less kayakers or less threads than in Auckland? The Auckland yakkers thread was pretty active.

Anyway went for a fish off tarakena bay by the airport on Saturday. Met a couple of other guys launching who were good value (forgot there names but mentioned a club on facebook). Plenty of kahawai around, small blue cod and a few pig fish and baracouta. No gurnard even with burley on the sand for an hour.

Cheers

James
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 4:19pm
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Welcome James!! Yes less active threads in winter. Good on you for getting out in winter! I normally fish from Late October till end of May and have a break in between. The Snapper down this way find the water temp a little too cold in winter so the head off. I fish on the west coast predominantly and mainly Pukerua Bay which can turn on some great fishing in the summer / autumn months. I was out at Makara beach yesterday for a walk with the kids and the conditions were great and would have been good conditions for kayak fishing and is another great west coast spot. I haven't fished he harbour heaps but have seen footage and heard of people doing quite well on occasion in various spots around the harbour. South coast too where you were fishing is definitely worthwhile I have heard if the swell allows.
Hope to see you out there sometime guy or reads some more posts. Thanks for sharing to btw. I have a lime green prowler 13 and a dark green 2+1 Viking. Jules
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 10:27am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by leakymalibu leakymalibu wrote:

Gday everyone. New to wellies, moved down from Auckland and seems to be either less kayakers or less threads than in Auckland? The Auckland yakkers thread was pretty active.

Anyway went for a fish off tarakena bay by the airport on Saturday. Met a couple of other guys launching who were good value (forgot there names but mentioned a club on facebook). Plenty of kahawai around, small blue cod and a few pig fish and baracouta. No gurnard even with burley on the sand for an hour.

Cheers

James

Welcome James. Facebook has taken its toll on this forum over the last couple years, but there is still plenty of us yakkers down here! Finding nice days in winter is just a little tougher.

You would have met Phanat, Lindsay and Cory on Saturday i'm guessing, all keen guys and out regularly.

Here are two groups worth joining if you're in the Facebook world:

'Fishing Wellington' (contains all types of fishing reports and people) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/155367294477965/

'Wellington Kayak Fishing Community' - https://www.facebook.com/groups/175269006164982/

No doubt will see you out on the water sometime -  I have a black/white trident 4.3.

Ants.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote leakymalibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 11:25am
leakymalibu View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers for the info everyone, looking forward to getting out and exploring wellington when the weather allows!

Im now fishing a viking profish 440, recent upgrade and a hell of a lot better than my old yak. I think the name Cory and Lindsay ring a bell, one of them had a trailer to get his beast of a kayak around.

Will check out those facebook groups and try get into the fishing seen alot more, when im not out diving or spearfishing

Cheers

James
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 1:51pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For those guys not in the facebook realm...

Got this fella, and a couple others plus a decent carrot on Monday.

New PB again (3rd PB in 3 trips, 4th PB fish since April)

PB Snapper: 17.6lb/76cm (14/05/2017) | PB Blue Cod 49cm (17/06/2017)| PB Kingfish 76cm | PB Tarakihi 53cm (04/09/2017)| PB Moki 54cm (17/06/2017)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jules75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 2:10pm
jules75 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

By hoki that's a good Moki! Well done. How's the water temp at the moment? Makara?
Page  <1 376377378379380>