Wellington Yakkers

Page  <1 89101112 380>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2007 at 12:03pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Naki man has scared them all away from New Plymouth

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2007 at 9:54pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kiwifred kiwifred wrote:

Naki man has scared them all away from New Plymouth

LOLLOLLOLLOL

If they're undersized, they've come from north of Bombay hills. They've come south to get a decent challange. Taking bait off a northerner's hook ain't sportingWinkLOL
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 6:59pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good call NM

well i seem to have missed the meeting for the Wellington kayak fishing club. my pc has been on the blink and couldnt get to my emails. had about 500 or so for the two weeks it was away.

anyway any news or gossip that i need to know about?

any gatherings planned in the near future??

only 2 days till i am away at the mount fishing  YAY  hopefully a bit more productive on the snapper front than down here in welly

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2007 at 5:32pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi All

trip report from my week up in the sunny bay of plenty (yeah right)

monday the first drove up to paengaroa
Tuesday too windy to go out
Wednesday  too windy to go out
Thursday. perfect day frost on the ground been up since 2 am when the choppers came for frost protection in the kiwifruit orchards. went out with my dad to rabit island. me on my prowler and dad on his cobra tandem. flat calm seas. no real wind so pretty good day. sat out on the seaward side and drift fished for a while with plenty of bites but no takers. the further we drifted away from the island (1km ish) the less bites we were getting. after about an hour we anchored up and still nothing much (small blue cod but that was all.

bumped into the fat bass when he turned up and he was in the same boat . with no fish and not much bites. tried the soft baits and still no joy. after a couple of hours even though the swell was minimal i was starting to turn a bit green. (forgot to take the sea legs)  so headed back in. on the way the water on the land side of rabit was so clear we could see fish swimming around the rocks. looked to be some kahawai and some parore but apart from nibbling the bait no takers. headed in as we where going to try the harbour side. got to teh surf and my dad promptly got dumped (typical cobra driver) so we had a change of plans and off loaded and played in the surf for a while (i suppose you can call 1 - 2 foot waves surf).
finaly made it to the harbour side and went and sat at the mouth off the statue for about an hour plenty of bites and a small fish of some cod type. but nothing. packed up and went home after an enjoyable but non productive 5 hours.

Friday too windy
Saturday  Mums 70th so too pissed
Sunday went out off Pukehina beach and right from the start things started to go wrong.

left dads trolly at home so had to carry the kayak down to the beach.
took off through the surf and had forgotten to release my rudder. Went out a few hundred meters to where (according to the local tackle shop guy) there was a reef and lots of good snapper fishing was being done. got set up and promptly lost my gear boxs lid overboard. sea was a little bit lumpy and again had forgotten to take sealegs and with the previous nights excesses had a ready made burly trail in no time. didnt seem to work as had even less joy than thursday. not a single bite. tried the soft baits nothing tried bonito nothing tried mackeral nothing tried squid nothing. after a couple of hours and a few changes of location i went home and sulked

Monday came home

question time

What am i doing wrong????

granted a FF could make things a bit easier to see the bottom but i head for known foul and sit on the deeper side of it usually.
bait wise i am using the same bait as everyone else.
gear set up.  I either strayline or use a ledger rig.

well thats it for a non productive fishing week in the bay of plenty

Erik

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2007 at 6:37pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Kiwifred

Apart from the obvious - you're paddling a prowlerWinkLOL-
I'm not sure you were doing anything wrong. I presume the week you are talking about was from the 27th through to the 1st. If this is the case, in my opinion this would have to be the worst moon faze that you could fish. (Around the full moon) Some say that it is a good time to fish, however in close in yaks this doesn't seem to be the case.
What burly do you use. I use the stimulate pellets and a kahawai carcase (not minced). I burly from the top to get more coverage in shallow water - you can also judge which way your burly is going more accurately. I quite often see fishoes casting their stray line in front of the yak when the burly is going 90 deg from that. I also soak stone chip in stimulate oil and drop to them bottom. Another favorite for me for this time of year is the flashing light. If you are fishing the full moon, target blue cod or gurnard as even though they are a bit slow on the bite, it doesn't seem to effect them as much. I also use a ledger, with a short trace to the sinker so that the bottom hook is on the bottom and about 500mm to the second trace. Also this may seem a bit over the top, but go careful what you have on your hands when you are baiting up - sunscreens, soaps etc. Fish have got a good sense of smell. I use a glove, which also makes it easier to handle your fish

Hope some of this helps

Cheers

NM
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2007 at 8:55pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bad luck Erik - just keep trying! I try to keep at least one line in the water at all times, especially when moving from spot to spot, I would be towing a lure or 2. You will almost be gauranteed of hooking kahawai if they are around.

IMHO, burley is almost essential when fishing in the one spot. A $1 nasty tin of sardine cat food is convenient and works really well if you can't get proper burley. Just poke a few holes in it and secure it to your anchor rope or the side of your yak. Give it a bit of a jiggle occasionally. Make sure you have a quick release system for Mr Bitey though Smile.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2007 at 9:22pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi all

just got home today so the week was the 1st to the 8th

burley wise i either use pellets or whatever left over bonito bait carcasses which i mangle up and put in a weighted bag and drop over the side

both times i was fishing the tide change and the thursday was there just after dawn.

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2007 at 9:25pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ps thanks for the info
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2007 at 10:39pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kiwifred

I've found that snapper tend to bite best around 2 to 3 hours after the turn of the tide (varies slightly). In the Naki I've found that the big snapper seem to hit at midday slack water(turn of the tide) In open sea gurnard seem to come through in waves however both can be effected if in an estuary/harbour  situation. Start taking notes of wind direction, tides, moon fazes, baits etc in your area and you will soon spot a pattern. You might be surprised at how accurate you can predict your catch. I noticed patterns within 12 months once I started taking notes. Even note other peoples catches.

As Sooshee says burly is essential, however go easy on blood burly's, especially around known shark areas or seal colonies

Cheers

NM

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2007 at 11:47pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Speaking of sharks, has anyone encountered them in the welly harbour - not dogfish but the ones with proper teeth?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 2:32pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

not me  none of any sort so far
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 5:42pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi welly boys

How far do you venture from welly. Looking at google, there looks like there might be a reef that goes out about 500m from the beach at the end of coast road. anyone fish out there?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raumatibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 5:54pm
Raumatibeach View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

At the kayak fishing seminar they suggested putting your burley on its own anchor and line and using a wine bladder as a float.That way you can work the trail and not have to worry about sharks tracking the burley back to your yak.

Pete Lamb said in an article in the dompost that blues, makos and bronze whalers are all present in the harbour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wondaboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 6:48pm
wondaboy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Naki man,

Sounds like we need to go on a shark hunt down Welly harbourLOLWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 7:02pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by wondaboy wondaboy wrote:

Naki man,

Sounds like we need to go on a shark hunt down Welly harbourLOLWink

Yep, a kahawai carcase under a balloon and ya have a shark powered kayakTongueWackoWinkLOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 8:22pm
nodrog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've seen the odd bronzy and blue, and a baby mako, close in on the west coast, without really trying. And had a few "bumps in the night", one resulting in a much shorter burley pot.
I'm sure a group effort at a mega-meaty-burley-trail (kahawai, roadkill, even the odd pommy ref) would conjure up something scary, say 3rd reef at mana round about dark on a new moon?   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 8:53pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

[QUOTE=Raumatibeach]At the kayak fishing seminar they suggested putting your burley on its own anchor and line and using a wine bladder as a float.That way you can work the trail and not have to worry about sharks tracking the burley back to your yak.
/QUOTE]
I fell for that too but later found out the real reason.
What "They" did not tell you was that "They"  plant a number of such burley bombs at different reefs and after a bit of soaking visit them repeatedly.   

"They" do this to multiply their fish catching chances (especially at fishing comps) and not because "They" want of avoid sharks.     It did not work at the Taranaki Comp but did so in the BOI.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 9:17pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

trouble with using the pomme ref would be the shark would spit it out due to the foul taste of frog grease on the palms. then take it out on those good kiwi lads on the yaks.  gee did i just imply that the ref was bought.

anyway back to the subject of things going bump in the night provided all the pre release criteria are met then i would be up for it.

Erik
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 9:29pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Oh, One more thing, RaumatiBeach   

Even if what "They" say were true, the first snapper "They" put into the rear well would leach enough fish scent through the scuppers to turn the yak into a shark berley pot.   

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 9:32pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

All this shark catching talk, you're making me wish I was in Welly

Page  <1 89101112 380>