FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  <1 790791792
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rozboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 3:53pm
Rozboon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got out in the tiny 5 hour window on Saturday between the 35 knot Southerly and the 35 knot Norwester.

Just hit the harbour; this time of year is usually good for Gurnard and we were not disappointed - a relatively quick and easy 8 or so good carrots, all chunky fish in nice condition. Released a few smaller ones, and one mid-30-cm that was obviously in poor condition (post spawn?) - splotchy, thin fish. Plenty of Kahawai of all sizes interspersed to keep things interesting.

Also fluked a Snapper that I assume was lost, water temp still in the 12s.

More honking W/NW this week, which will hopefully herald the arrival of some warmer water and larger numbers of summer species...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 1:38pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looks like we will be heading out on Sunday to Kapiti - forecast is great. Last trip we really struggled - got just enough for a feed but it was hard going.

Tried all our normal round the Island spots but most were full of undersize cod or sh*t parrot style fish. 

I have never pushed to hunters bank but reports are pretty good there, any tricks to get there? I only have 100m of Anchor rope and heard shes pretty deep....

Anyone tried up the coast near Otaki or Pekapeka for snapper?

Cheers 

Chappy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rozboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 4:00pm
Rozboon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by neil_cb125t neil_cb125t wrote:

Looks like we will be heading out on Sunday to Kapiti - forecast is great. Last trip we really struggled - got just enough for a feed but it was hard going.[DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]Tried all our normal round the Island spots but most were full of undersize cod or sh*t parrot style fish. [/DIV][DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]I have never pushed to hunters bank but reports are pretty good there, any tricks to get there? I only have 100m of Anchor rope and heard shes pretty deep....[/DIV][DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]Anyone tried up the coast near Otaki or Pekapeka for snapper?[/DIV][DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]Cheers [/DIV][DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]Chappy[/DIV]

Anchoring at Hunters is a risky business unless it's at very very slack tide and you're not worried about losing your anchor. It fair honks through there.

Getting to Hunters... I'd consider driving south to the Mana bridges and launching there, shorter run in the boat and much nicer place to launch from, if you don't mind the extra 20 minutes drive in the car. Don't worry about finding it; if conditions are nice there will be 20 boats sitting on top of it.

We'll be out on Saturday and Sunday (probably?), launching from Mana. Send me a PM and if you like I'll give you my mobile and you can ring for a report on Saturday evening - warning that it might be "Didn't catch sh!t, sorry, no idea".

Depends what you want to target.... again, PM me with your general plan and I'll give you my 2c for what they're worth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 8:32am
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Roger the no go anchor at hunters - Ill send you that PM for sure.

We are driving down from Palmy, I have been asked to take a couple of dudes out as a birthday pressy. so its already a good 90-100min drive to Waikanae - but ill float the idea.

Talk soon Chappy
Page  <1 790791792