Wasp Nest (destruction of)

Page  <1 234
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 1:16pm
JV View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

if any of you guys get pestered with wasps and can't find the nest.put a little jam sugar on a plate, when they come to feed blow baking powder on one it turns them white and they fly in a strait line back to the nest and they are easy to follow. i use the blow pipe method for the powder,a long piece of 12mm tube.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 10:52pm
kens View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Too busy (or chicken Wink ) to get it done, will do but wont be setting fire to it, mouthu has seen my driveway, those pine woud go up pretty fast.
The past, the present and the future walked into a bar.

It was tense.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 8:35am
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

how close to the pines is it?
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote empty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 12:37pm
empty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

dont need to set a match to it vapours kill them instantly
what happened to the pissing man?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 2:52pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is a fun thread. I've done a few over the years. At night take a length of garden hose with a funnel taped to the end and a bucket of dirt as the buggers sit around the entrance. Put hose into hole and cover with dirt go away and come back in 10 minutes after they have settled as some will climb out of dirt and others u'll miss altogether porr petrol down hose. END.

I did a really big like several meters big one in amongst the neighbors trees the entrance holes (2) took two 10 ltr buckets each over 2 nights to cover. When I pored the several litres (2 4 ltr cans LOL) into the pipe the whole ground started vibrating and buzzing I didn't realise the size of the nest and discovered The ground was completely hollow underfoot it was then I realised how it could have easily caved in on one of the occasions I had been there like right now! The nightmares for 2 days after this were fun. The last one I couldn't safely get to so had to use a 3m lengh of 20mm pvc with the powder in the end just held it over the nest and blow some might suck but I don't recommend that.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 3:58pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So if you don't kill them all the first time,  and you sort of hear bbbssssd  brrrppsssrrrp buzzzz pop.  have they run out of petrol?
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 5:59pm
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

just reminds me of my old mate jimmy from marakopa way, he was riding his david brown tractor down a track on the farm when he was attacked by wasps. he left the tractor there and ran home and told his dad. dad told him to pour some petrol down the hole.
 he took 10ltrs of petrol and a length of alkathene back with him and positioned himself on the bank just above the nest. he poured the entire 10ltrs of petrol down the hole and it seemed to knock the little buggers for six.
after a while he got the bright idea of lighting the petrol, he used his hankie tied to a manuka stick, and with the little bit of petrol left in the can he manage to effect ignition.

10ltrs of petrol makes a fair bit of vapour and it made a hell of a bang, blew out the entire bank and half the hillside as well. the david brown gently rolled down the hillside and ended upside down in the swamp.

dad was not pleased.........he attacked jimmys bum with the manuka stick.
jimmy said it stung worse than the wasps.

the david brown is still there in the swamp.

it fixed the wasps however.
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 7:04pm
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

lol..  best place for a david brown anyway...LOL
Legasea Legend, the rest of you should be too, $10 a month.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 2:38pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Forgot to add
Even though the nest was in amongst a lot of small trees to my amasement no trees died.
You'll find some wasps around the hole for the next few days as some have stayaway nights. After a few days they die or go away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Breakaway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 3:14pm
Breakaway View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This is the nest we had in the garden .... you can see the garden gnome has been knocked over and kinda broke a bit.. keep looking..

This was the lower entrance to nest and went about 400 mm deep.

The picture does'nt do it justice.. but trust me..it was too big for my liking..

This was the wasp's penthouse suite.. from the feet of the gnome right up to head cavity.

Yeah... I really like wasps...not!!

Gotta admire their building skills though..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 3:22pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We had a small nest starting up in the roof by a gutter, placed a piece of 4x2 under the entrance and a decent dash of the carabryl powder on the 4x2 did the trick
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 5:50pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've been hunting for pictures of wasp nests we've removed from trees, some of these were all that was holding some trees up, but alas............. there's so many pics on my puter that i'm stuff finding them.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Page  <1 234