Unweighted softies

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unweighted softies
    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 12:09pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Weather is awful. I'm bored. Making fishing plans. 

Anyone had luck throwing unweighted softies around the shallows or wash. I'm thinking of the new big Gulps, the 10inch eel and the King Shrimp. Should have enough weight to cast a decent distance without the addition of a jig head?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 12:37pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Haven't tried but piqued curiosity.
How would you rig it

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 3:57pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big worm hook with screw. I have some Owner Beast hooks sat in the garage looking for a purpose.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 5:28pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Andrew not being a Doubting Thomas but my thoughts are;

In winter fish are lethargic, move slowand don't need to eat daily, those that do or want to bite a lure will generally only do so if they are confident in nailing it without wasting energy. And that is why smaller lures work best in the winter.

However, if you are over rocky coastal reefy area then you may entice a big snap or JD from out of the weed with the large slow moving eel type lures.

I change from braid to light mono in the winter as a lot of fish are very shy to the bite and touch of a rod/line flick/movement... with braid you might feel and detect every bite, but so can shy fish. So I find light mono with some elasticity and circle hooks really help on slow days with a tiny bite. Some of those tiny touches and bites have turned out to be 10-12lbers so patience is a virtue.

May be even a slug gun lead pallet with a hole drilled in it will give some weight to the rig or some solder wrapped around the top/eye area... just lazy thoughts.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 5:49pm
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep. 1/8oz 3/0 hooks. Bit hard to find them. I use lightest braid possible and usually 16lb leader. Love catching fish in the shallows 2-4m. Usually have to keep lure moving to keep off the bottom. Bigger softies help with the casting.
Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 7:01pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Andrew not being a Doubting Thomas but my thoughts are;

In winter fish are lethargic, move slowand don't need to eat daily, those that do or want to bite a lure will generally only do so if they are confident in nailing it without wasting energy. And that is why smaller lures work best in the winter.

However, if you are over rocky coastal reefy area then you may entice a big snap or JD from out of the weed with the large slow moving eel type lures.

I change from braid to light mono in the winter as a lot of fish are very shy to the bite and touch of a rod/line flick/movement... with braid you might feel and detect every bite, but so can shy fish. So I find light mono with some elasticity and circle hooks really help on slow days with a tiny bite. Some of those tiny touches and bites have turned out to be 10-12lbers so patience is a virtue.

May be even a slug gun lead pallet with a hole drilled in it will give some weight to the rig or some solder wrapped around the top/eye area... just lazy thoughts.

All thoughts good. Agree with you about smaller lures in winter. My prediction with those big Gulps is that they will get pecked to death by small snapper and leatherjackets, but may give it a go just for fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 7:05pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Polar_Kiwis Polar_Kiwis wrote:

Yep. 1/8oz 3/0 hooks. Bit hard to find them. I use lightest braid possible and usually 16lb leader. Love catching fish in the shallows 2-4m. Usually have to keep lure moving to keep off the bottom. Bigger softies help with the casting.

OK, interesting. As an aside, it's annoying that with shop bought jig heads hook size increases with jig weight. I'm usually looking for a 1oz jig head with a 1/0 hook which doesn't exist, so have reverted to worm hooks and egg sinkers. In this instance, bigger hooks on a light jig head may be the way forward. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 8:36pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe drop those surgeons fingers and have a go at this soft plastic Andy.Big smile

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 8:58pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for posting that Catchelot. AWESOME!
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 10:57pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A work of art. Not sure how long it would last when a snapper grabs it though LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 4:24am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Look for small bullet weights that they use for a Texas rig, I had them so small or you could use tungsten split shot.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 4:27am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Two weeks ago we had them taking softies off the surface with 8th oz heads and 16th oz heads, you can find theses in the states and have a wide gape and there strong as.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 10:37am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go one better than the tungsten split shot and use the tungsten beads the flyfishos use for weight on their flies.

You get them in a range of colours and weight sizes.

EDIT: Great video Al - thanks for sharing that.
Incredible what some blokes can do.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 10:01pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I have been doing pretty well fly fishing with unweighted 5cm softbaits on the Tongariro.

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 12:13am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Update. Even the biggest softies are too light to cast without additional weight. A few strikes, but nothing stuck. Not surprising, big bait with hook at one end. Got snagged up a lot. Reminded me of how much I hate fishing the wash/kelp beds! Always ended up going back in to deeper water and catching snapper over sand on slow jigs. Why make life difficult?! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jack.worthington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 10:33pm
jack.worthington View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I cast zman 7" and 5" jerk shads on a weightless worm hook no trouble. Casting into wind with a 5" is difficult. Wanting to try some of the 10" heroz weightless if i can find worm hooks big enough.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 11:27pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Owner Beast Hooks are big enough.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 8:48pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by _jackrw_ _jackrw_ wrote:

I cast zman 7" and 5" jerk shads on a weightless worm hook no trouble. Casting into wind with a 5" is difficult. Wanting to try some of the 10" heroz weightless if i can find worm hooks big enough.

barbarian hooks by Hogy lues in USA are great, i have quite a few in all weights including no actual lead added. Wicked hooks and corkscrew to hold softbait on well
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 10:23pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by _jackrw_ _jackrw_ wrote:

I cast zman 7" and 5" jerk shads on a weightless worm hook no trouble. 

They must float? Are you using them for kingfish?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 8:41am
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I cut the spiral off and bridal the softy to the hook with a bait needle find they last much longer.
CBF

Page  12>