Two year closure for east Coromandel scallops

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 7:47pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Hi PCJ.
I have read the other end of your link and nowhere does it discount customary take.
The closest I could find is this: -
  • "The Minister for Oceans and Fisheries approved the temporary closure to the take of scallops for a 2-year period in east Coromandel, pursuant to section 186A of the Fisheries Act 1996, to recognise and make provision for the use and management practices of Ngāti Hei by improving the availability of scallops in this area".
  • Still does not discount customary take and only mentions Ngati Hei and no one else.
  • I could be having a senior moment and am open to being pointed in the right direction.
  • Cheers and thanks.
According to Joe Davis, local kamatua, there will be no customary permits N on MPI site But Coromandel protection page on F/B join and ask him the question he will put you right. Have been through the pages it is there in amongst all the other stuff.   But customary rights have prevailed in all other closed areas even including banned shellfish like Toheroa but can be taken in limited numbers under the permit, usually permitted in the event of a tangi for a Chief.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 8:44pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

It's closed as from Saturday and you'd expect that Ngāti Hei would be showing leadership in that regard given they were instrumental in getting it closed. Any deviation from that position would be very unpopular.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 6:30am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Part of this area had a ruhui placed on it before the ministry of incompetence did anything. I can't imagine that Ngati Hei would then start customary. They have shown leadership here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:59pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For interest sake only I sent an email to MPI seeking clarification whether customary take was permitted during the closure.  The first email was sent on 9 Sept 2021 and I received an automatic response stating their aim to respond within 2 working days.  No reply was received so I followed up with another email on 17 Sept 2021.  Once again I received the automatic response but nothing since ........ mmmmmmmmmm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 3:27am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

For interest sake only I sent an email to MPI seeking clarification whether customary take was permitted during the closure.  The first email was sent on 9 Sept 2021 and I received an automatic response stating their aim to respond within 2 working days.  No reply was received so I followed up with another email on 17 Sept 2021.  Once again I received the automatic response but nothing since ........ mmmmmmmmmm
Joe Davis the kamatua for the area will not be issuing customary permits
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 10:47am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

By the way who owns the major commercial fishing fleets in NZ now?
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 2:11pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Joe Davis the kamatua for the area will not be issuing customary permits

I had seen that in your earlier post.
My point in contacting MPI was simply to see if they had closed the door to customary take.  To leave the door open suggests inequality.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 7:11pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats really not good enough of MPI. You are entitled to clarification - from them. What a surprise.
Why not reiterate your requests and ask them if you have to go to the Ombudsman or the OIA to get an answer.
You are entitled to one. It is a simple Yes or No.
The fact you can't get one suggests there is an issue.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 4:46pm
Platinum
Platinum

Alan after reading your post above I thought, why not, and emailed them again mentioning the Ombudsman and the OIA.  This morning I received the following email response.

"Tēnā koe Alan,

Thank you for your official information request received on 9 September.

Your request below will be considered and a decision provided in accordance with the requirements of the Official Information Act 1982.

If you have any questions regarding this request, please email [email protected] .

Ngā mihi,

Official Information Act Team

Government Services | Public Affairs

Ministry for Primary Industries | Charles Fergusson Building, 34-38 Bowen Street | PO Box 2526 | Wellington | New Zealand 

Telephone: 0800 00 83 33 | Email: [email protected]  | Web: www.mpi.govt.nz"  

The cogs are turning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 5:10pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good work.
That reply suggests to me there is a problem. It is going to go thru the hierachy before they can tell you yes - or No.
There will be meetings and briefing papers and legal opinions sought.
We wait.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 5:02pm
Platinum
Platinum

After another reminder to the Official Information Act Team at MPI I received a response today.  The following addresses my query:

"... Tangata whenua who exercise traditional authority (mana moana) over the area covered by the closure can continue to authorise some customary harvest of scallops, provided this is done in accordance with regulations made under the Fisheries Act 1996 ..."

Whilst I appreciate that the local kamatua has indicated he won't be issuing customary permits I am disappointed that MPI elects to apply two sets of standards.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 5:39pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What they seem to be saying is they don't have the ability to completely close a fishery.
Customary take takes precedence.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 5:53pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

What they seem to be saying is they don't have the ability to completely close a fishery.
Customary take takes precedence.
Alan
correct.Hence why you and I cannot collect tohero.But a permit can issued to collect under customary take but is usually reserved for a Elder on there passing a limit placed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 7:16pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wonder how long it will be until non maori are considered to have any customary entitlements..really, if 5 consecutive generations have lived and fished in an area...
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 7:58pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

I wonder how long it will be until non maori are considered to have any customary entitlements..really, if 5 consecutive generations have lived and fished in an area...

I am a fifth generation NZer and it has been my custom for as long as I can remember to hunt, gather and fish these Islands.
I still remember my first plastic rod set, sitting on the wharves in Wellington Harbour catching Spotties and sprats then moving on to predominantly Kahawai.
I remember gathering Cockles at Paremata, Pipi, Tuatua, Tohera up Paraparaumu way, Paua, Mussels, Rock Oysters, Crayfish at boom Rock around the coast from Makara.
Then as I got older, doing most of those things around the country.
North and South Island.
Even my inlaw's still call me manuhiri, yet I have seen more of and done more in this country than they have.
As I suspect many reading this site have.
When will we all be treated as equals?
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 8:07pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It is now clear MPI is not in control of the fishery.
They are rubber stamping any Iwi lead decision regarding management of the fishery.
This closure - tho maybe well warranted and overdue, was initiated by Iwi - not MPI.
MPI claim to be a science/evidence based decision maker. That is not the case where Iwi interests are involved.
Conversely I tried to get Iwi involved in restricting commercial activity in our raped and pillaged fishery a couple of yrs ago. Nope. They are the major fishing Co in the area.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 7:01am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

V8 you are a indigenous pakeha like myself, the most discriminated against minority in NZ. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 8:28am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In this case the majority of the community were behind the closure and observed the customary Rahui. Meanwhile the Commercials didn't and continued until it was legally binding. The anger on local social media was pretty intense.

My observation is the community is grateful that the local Iwi took the steps they did as MPI have been so slow to step in and take action.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 8:46am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah I do not think many if any where against it, bar a few that made their income from it. Shame we can’t get iwi to stop preventing the kermadic ocean sanctuary for their money greed.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Page  <12