tropic lightening lures

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 4:03pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

From Salty69 who cannot yet post pics so I am his Pimp againLOL

Attached is a photo of one of the very first lures I ever made and the 145kg Stripy it nailed.

The lure is a Raglan Express and was at best pretty rough - vinyl skirts and all!!

But it just goes to show that if you put any lure in the water in the right place and the right time etc you are in with a chance.

Typical big Naki StripeyClap

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 10:32pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bumping old thread.

Have come across a couple of original tropic lighting lures I don’t need that I bought with some others.

Gifted by craig arfman to previouse owner and   are even skirted Old school vinyl.

One is a tube, unsure of the other model maybe someone can shed some light.

If anyone is interested looking for $60 each.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 10:39pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As you said, the blue is a Super Tube. The green looks like a smaller version of the Raglan Express. There were about three head sizes in that shape.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 8:10pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome intel thanks for that.

Why about these ones, no tropic lightning name but from the same lure roll, any familiar head shapes are They tropic lightning?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 8:21pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yup they look like Taranaki Plungers. There were about 3 sizes in that shape also.

Craig was quite random how he branded them.

Some were marked with Tropic Lightning brand on the top of the insert and lure name on the bottom. Others just had the brand name and some had no identifying markings.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 8:54pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ClapClapAgreed great lure heads...who has them now Dave?
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:16pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here's a few more originals.

From the bottom 3 Polaris, then a Taranaki Plunger, a Super Tube, a Raglan Express and the top lure is branded as a Large Swimmer.

Theres a a group of lures finishing on TM in an hour or so and I'm pretty sure there another original in that lot.

Kevin S on here also has a good collection of originals. Pity Craig dissapeared in the manner he did. I'm sure he could tell a few interesting stories. I guess they will now never be told.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:35pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very interesting thank you. Those two are slightly different sizes so could be two Taranaki plungers in different configuration.

The gentleman I got the kites from was a member of the New Plymouth game fishing club.

Story goes craig broke down and was given a tow back in. As a thank you a box of lures were passed on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:36pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Also to note those two Taranaki plungers Have a few nice bill rashes on them, certainly must do the damage.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:53pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Craig caught many fish on his lures out of NP. Long time members of the club there used to talk about Craigs exploits. I understand there were also a number of 'issues" that lead to Craig losing interest and heading back to the US. On line media tells a fairly sad story of what happen subsequently.

Anyway getting back to the lures. The Polaris and Raglan Express always seemed to be the most talked about/popular/successful head shapes.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 10:30pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

ClapClapAgreed great lure heads...who has them now Dave?

That would be me, and these should be heading to my collection tomorrow.  I know some of the story of Harry Craig Arfman, if anyone can fill in the gaps I'd love to hear from you.  He died in 2015, so won't be saying much himself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 9:25pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You guys should make some moulds of the heads - since they aint around anymore.
Here is my version of a lure with wings - in foreground. I call him the 'winged warrior'
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 10:24pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They are still around, here are the original moulds made by Craig Arfman back in the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2019 at 10:25pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I should mention, the two bottom left are not original Arfman lures.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 7:36am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh wow. Goldmine then.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Quartermaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 2:40pm
Quartermaster View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i didnt see the Tropic Lightning lures on TM , did they sell ?  wouldnt mind some of the ones i dont have the head shapes for ..... have a collection with some originals and wanting to run a spread from New Plymouth this season ...... just started to work out positions
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marlin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:16am
Marlin04 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What happened to him? Anybody know about him now?
Page  <123