Trolling for kingfish at low speed

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 6:43pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We tow livies just in gear and will often take boat out of gear if bait starts to pull line out too far on light drag, and slowly retrieve back. For big kahawai hook in shoulder hook facing forward towards head. Kahawai skin and flesh is firm so tow ok like this for while if tow real slow with drag just heavy enough to hold ‘em. When get interest go to freespool with ratchet on to let them swallow it before striking.
Like gamakatsu  octopus beak hooks or mustard hoodlum live bait hooks , both in 9/0 for larger kahawai hooking through shoulder.  For smaller mackeral and kahawai I will use larger lighter gauge 9/0 recurves/ circles and tow bait with hook through top of their nose.
If livebaiting skippies  or wishing to tow kahawai faster… you need to bridle rig  and I use recurve circles for that with a dacron bridle through the eyes. I generally only bridle rig for marlin. As said above, if you know kings are in your area, a slow shoulder hooked kahawai is my preference. And saves over complicating it and having to take bait needles and bridles out when we are after kings.
In terms of likely spots structure is good, but better is where you see bait compacted schools on your sounder near some structure. Best spots of all are these ones and where you can see a kingfish feeding or swimming around. Although they can also sometimes be very hard to catch a  livebait in. A lot of kingfish patrol a large general area and will just turn up where the bait is sooner or later.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 7:26pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shaneg, another version for the bridle - I put a rubber band between the dacron (mono) bridle and the hook. I have had a few slip the hook before - when the tension comes off.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 7:40pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes seen that done.. is what Matt Watson recommends. Attended H&F seminar he ran few weeks ago. Looks like good method. Although from memory  he was  putting hook through rubber band rather than attaching to a bridle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 7:59pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Shaneg, and Alan some good info there. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 7:16am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just a quick question. Can you troll two lives say one in close and one further back? Or will that just be a mission to manage? Cheers

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 8:00am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Yes seen that done.. is what Matt Watson recommends. Attended H&F seminar he ran few weeks ago. Looks like good method. Although from memory  he was  putting hook through rubber band rather than attaching to a bridle.
Yep I do same. Simply evolved to that because had the odd bridle fall off the hook when the line went slack. Prob not so bad with dacron as mono.
So I introduced the rubber band between the bridle and hook. Have the rubber band on your wrist. Once you have the bridle thru fish and ready to hook up, slip the rubber band off your wrist , thru bridle loop, then twist and snig on to hook same as would do for dacron bridle. Never had a problem with it.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 8:03am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

Just a quick question. Can you troll two lives say one in close and one further back? Or will that just be a mission to manage? Cheers

I think you are just asking for trouble. One livie is worth 5 of anything else. It brings fish in from considerable distances. I am not sure there could be any advantage having two. More likely to risk loosing a good fish. The other possibility - for kingis, is a double strike. You are better to deal with them one at a time.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 3:43pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree with Alan , one decent active kahawai is plenty and you can also focus on that bait and timing strike right when it gets taken.
We do often fish couple of Mack’s  or piper livies sometimes but at anchor and you really want someone paying attention on each rod
Page  <12