Triming lure skirts

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Triming lure skirts
    Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 7:44pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Getting set up for this year. Have an old favourite Legend Enki sold to me at boat show by Roddy Hayes years ago, and skirts chosen by him at time we’re probably customised, we’re cut down to spears/ sliced to points on tip . Actually hard to do with scissors, and my latest version from marine deals purchased last week (now inch or so shorter to match old lure) was done with scissors. Am tempted to go back with Stanley knife and do a better job.
Re this practise:
Not much said on internet. Bonze rigging lure on youtube cuts straight across skirt to shorten it. Pukula lures and Zukers are square. Rusnack/ Aloha lures spears his squirts on custom lures.
Hayes once maintained his lures ran better with skirts speared and imparted that to a select few.. me probably by mistake.
But the counter was expressed on other posts on subject, was better to run over stupid fish with sub-optimal lure than no fish at all… which is dumb logic, denounces lure presentation.  As I would of thought everyone would always have lure running optimally if could make difference in fish turning away, or a hook up comprised where a fish is dropped. Always thought every advantage you can have with lures, when fishin lures is worth having.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 7:55pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have you tried your braid scissors to trim skirts on angle?
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 7:59pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No but wife just opened a new pair of braid scissors in weekend out on boat… so that suggestion is very helpful…. Also her tackle box containing those scissors has yet to make its way back in vacuum cupboard., where she stores her tackle separate to my tackle room.