Trailer Locks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Locks
    Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 8:41am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looking for recommendations for trailer locking systems. I've tried the wheel clamp type but both have failed. The key mechanism simply falls apart after a couple of years. Almost considering a simple high tensile chain with a quality padlock. I already have a stainless steel padlock as a coupling pin. ?????
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 9:44am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just be careful with insurance, most policies don't consider a padlock and chain as a recognised anti-theft device even though a good on is better than most of the locks you can buy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 9:49am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had a chain and padlock - connected round the trailer and round a big shed pile. 
It was stolen - I think they simply drove off, and the sudden shock broke the padlock hasp. 
The hasp was hardened steel - which I believe makes it brittle, then easily broken.
THey probably (in the dark) didnt even know the chain was there. 
A chain and padlock is only as strong as its weakest place. 
A wheel clamp might deter, but must be the strongest - probably SAS clamp. I have seen cheaper clamps, that I think could be levered off with a steel bar.
Things that stop the coupling being used, might deter, but I think a prepared and determined thief will get around that by either cutting with a grinder or big bolt cutter, or simply tie the trailer coupling to the vehicle ball.
THe best thing I know of, would be a very strong chain and lock. Which I have - 14mm gauge chain (from Ropes chains and anchors) with a super strong lock LOckwood 29 series Steel Case Monoblock Padlock. 

67afb-c_maximum_securitysteelcasemonoblockpadlock29002 This is too small, but I couldnt make it bigger.

Further - I think the best deterrent by far - is to put the boat away from the road frontage, preferably out of sight from the road. In fact, my current boat is behind our house and out of view from the road; and near to 3 houses. I only have a pin with padlock, stopping the trailer coupling being used; not much, but I dont believe its going to be stolen from there, when there are plenty others in a far easier place.

And obviously need insurance cover. I have had boats stolen twice - and in each case the police did eventually find and recover both. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 11:40am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I should've mentioned that the application is more for when the boat and/or the trailer is at the ramp, beach, campground. Generally the coupling is latched onto the tow ball. I was thinking of the chain going through the wheel and around the chassis. Home security isn't an issue.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 7:24pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I grabbed one of these from Aus after a previous thread here. I had to change toe ball to a 1 7/8th when not hooked up. Works a treat and as above wanted it mainly at the boat ramp. Clips on over the toe hitch/bar when travelling. Take a while to get that off. I dread loosing the keys. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 9:36pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They look cool Krow
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 6:30am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The problem is, battery powered grinders. They will cut through most things. I guess all you can do is try your best.

Do the insurance companies have a list of locks they are happy with?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 4:20pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kimber7wsm kimber7wsm wrote:

The problem is, battery powered grinders. They will cut through most things. I guess all you can do is try your best.

Do the insurance companies have a list of locks they are happy with?

exactly. 

as soon as these became common-place - stuff became a lot easier to steal...
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 7:29pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Only way you are going to grind off that hitch is cutting the hinge pin twice or cutting all the way around. Be quicker cutting the toe bar off. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 9:02pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Or unbolt the coupling
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 9:40pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah, basically nothing is foolproof.
It is a real shame it gets to this. I am not so worried for my boat but have another trailer I prefer not to get stolen. More whats on the trailer that is likely to make it a target. So have been down all these tracks also. Nothing I have seen is to a point I cant figure a way to defeat it. And the battery angle grinders just make it so much worse. 
All you can do is choose something that works for the way you want to do it, and hope they move on to something easier. It is only a deterrent in the end. If they really want to nick your stuff, they will. They will come prepared. But all the above should be enough for the opportunist creeps out there. I have a trailer hitch lock. But it doesn't make me sleep easy at night.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 10:37am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Time and noise is a thieves enemy. Both attract unwanted attention.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.