Tow wagon for 3.5T Boat

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HuntGatherRepeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow wagon for 3.5T Boat
    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 4:51pm
HuntGatherRepeat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looking for some options. I personally own and tow a 2.5T boat which my new BT50 was quite happy with. Unfortunately by the time the ute is loaded with fishing, camping and all the other gear it's more like a 3.2T load. Work requires me to tow 3.5T or very close to it almost weekly fairly long distances and my ute has just cracked a piston which has shaken any trust that I had in the Ranger / BT50 ute group. Not interested in a Holden.

What else are people towing their heavy toys with? Right now seems like a 200 series landcruiser may be in my very near future but through that I would check in to see if I'm missing anything. Do like the more offroad capable vehicles just from a recovery and occasional beach launch point of view. I'm based in Taupo so shortest tow for me to the sea is 2 hours launching out of Whakatane and shoot to Waihau when the weather enables so not looking for a short haul rig.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 9:56pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yep - lc200 is almost the default choice once you approach the upper limits of a 'light trailer'. tremendously expensive cars to buy and run though.

i guess you could go back to a brand new Ranger - with warrantee obviously - for the same price as a 10 year old lc200 - cant help but think the new car would be a sure'r bet...

LC70 series - not quite as spendy as a '200 - but very much a 'truck' which might not provide enough comfort to live with daily?

you could even consider a new LR Discovery for less than a used LC200 - depends on what sort of image youre comfortable with...

Ram 1500? only available as petrol - would be willing to bet that running costs arent that far above a lc200 - but diesel not far away apparently...

prolly a new Ranger/Explorer for the rational choice. 
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 10:40pm
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Land cruiser doesn’t have a higher towing capacity though and doesn’t seem goof value at $120k. What about v6 amarok?

Most tests seem to conclude the ranger is the best Ute (Mazda same under the skin but ugly). Personally I find them all terribly agricultural to drive, maybe VW is better but never driven one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HuntGatherRepeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:04am
HuntGatherRepeat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers guys. Yeah do use this for work, drive about 60k per year with 20k+ being with a trailer. Need room for the wife, kiddo and dog so a 70 series is off the table. Have to move a lot of gear around so lockable canopy or interior space that is dry and secure is needed.

Found this from a while back and reckon it pretty much answers my questions:

Would seem that with my requirements it's going to be an LC200. Just a bit too nervous about the high strung utes. While they have the rated capacity, after driving around for the past year with a variety of big boats and other loads it's not necessarily comfortable. Cant afford another breakdown. This one has cost me brakes, lots of general preventative service costs, blown intercooler, an engine, tow for the ute and boat which was attached, numberous rental cars, now I have no tow vehicle for personal use, plus the general inconvenience. Still under 100K on the odometer. Likely going to be out $12k - $15k by the time the mess is cleaned up. The extra up front spend is sounding like good insurance. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:24am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by whippersnappyr whippersnappyr wrote:

Land cruiser doesn’t have a higher towing capacity though and doesn’t seem goof value at $120k. What about v6 amarok?

Most tests seem to conclude the ranger is the best Ute (Mazda same under the skin but ugly). Personally I find them all terribly agricultural to drive, maybe VW is better but never driven one

when a ute owner upgrades and raves that their new machine 'drives just like a car' the image of a holden wb from 1983 pops into my head...

the top spec utes at circa $70k offer abysmal comfort and dynamics compared to a normal car at similar price. 
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 4:04pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting post for me.

I have used a friends ranger to tow my 3.5 unit.
And it did drive like a car, was impressed.
But that's happened only a couple of times.

I have an old 80 series landcruiser.
Gets the boat everywhere.
Though recent trip to waihau showed a true lack of comfort and leg room for three and gear.

I picked a landcruiser late model as my next choice or a ranger. But cost is a reality.
Comfort would be nice.
My old girl , touch wood, has never broken down.

The above info is very interesting in next vehicle choice.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 4:31pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have a close look at the Toyota 70 LX wagon at about $80k.
Has all the bells and whistles, should please the family and the dog, plus has the excellent Toyota V8 and 3500kg towing ability.
Might look work man like, but you do the work.....and you are chief driver.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 7:34pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

fala I know tows his 3.5T jayco caravan with a jeep grand cherokee 184kW 570Nm over Arthurs pass both ways a few times.
From the Greymouth end, its fu*ken steep around Otira
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gibbo55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:02pm
Gibbo55 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Dodge Ram Ford 250 Chevy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:00am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Don18025 Don18025 wrote:

Have a close look at the Toyota 70 LX wagon at about $80k.
Has all the bells and whistles, should please the family and the dog, plus has the excellent Toyota V8 and 3500kg towing ability.
Might look work man like, but you do the work.....and you are chief driver.

Today we arrived in exmouth,towing the Haines hunter 1400 km with the workmate, base model of these (76 series) no Problem overtaking road trains or the plethora of grey nomads with caravans in tow, if you do a bit of off-road work get the gxl with twin diff locks..... you’ll never look back.
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 4:21pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Personally, I think the 3.5 ton ratings on the utes are a joke.
All of the utes have had their issues, gearboxes, clutches, autos, engines..
They are simply not heavy enough or grunty enough to do the job long term. Ok for short hauls.
200 series cruisers, are not without fault, but the motors do make good torque, and have the full time 4wd, weight, and short drawbar to rear axle length necessary to properly and safely control a heavy trailer. Especially on hilly or windy roads.
I'd love to include the y62 patrol, but they don't do a diesel any more.
70 series dual cab trucks, are basic, and the v8 is a low hp tune, single turbo. The 2,8 liter hilux has better hp and torque, but I doubt it would last as long if you are using all of that hp, most of the time.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 6:17pm
RMC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No doubting the 200 series is a great tow vehicle.
Another thing to watch out for is they weigh 2500kg so add your 3500kg boat and Technically that’s it your at the 6000kg max And have nothing left for any payload which includes passengers.
The Heavier utes are around 2100-2200 so when towing 3500 they still have 300-400 ish payload left over.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 8:47am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

The 2,8 liter hilux has better hp and torque, but I doubt it would last as long if you are using all of that hp, most of the time.

I drove around Northland for a week in a late model 2.8 Hilux and it was a slug. Navara ST-X and Colorado 3.0 I've driven went way, way better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 11:01am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by RMC RMC wrote:

Another thing to watch out for is they weigh 2500kg so add your 3500kg boat and Technically that’s it your at the 6000kg max And have nothing left for any payload which includes passengers.
The Heavier utes are around 2100-2200 so when towing 3500 they still have 300-400 ish payload left over.

There have been some recent moves in LTNZ recently looking at such enforcement.
 M8 pulls his bob cat and digger around the Nth Island on a regular basis.
 That 6000kg total weight limit may be popping its head up for non commercial users... and then there is the insurance issues.

There was a thread a yr or so ago with comments from a couple charters guys who had to meet compliance etc.

Also, the manufactures recommendations have no standing as far as insurance and the law goes for under 6000kg... its about stopping distance.
And I think 'ratings' depend very much on what sort of 'pull'
 Our big horn is rated 3.5T.. put 1/2 that behind it and its a slow craw up a long hill...but with the right tyres will pull a tree out nps.
The Ssangyoug 2.5T will tow the same weight up the same hill as if not even there... havnt tried to pull a tree out ....except a big old cabbage tree and that was effortless.

That total 6T could well be an issue in the near future.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 1:27pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by RMC RMC wrote:

Be very careful with this, the actual weight of the vehicle is NOT what they count when calculating the total weight for your 6000kg max.  They use the GVM for the vehicle, which for a 200 series landcruiser is 3350kg, so the maximum weight you can tow with one before you need the next class up licence is 2650kg.  I had a long discussion with them about this when we had a motorhome.  Because it was built on a lorry chassis the GVM was massively above what the vehicle weighed, or could ever now carry but they wouldn't budge -calculations are based on vehicle GVM.

It's not that big a deal to do a course and get a class 2 licence though, lots of people advertise them.  Usually only a few days.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 5:58pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What about a Nissan Patrol, 3500 tow rating and not badly priced second hand.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 11:42am
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

dont know if you have or not but look at a Jeep grand cherokee 06-07 with the merc 3.0 diesel rated to tow 3.5t very well appointed can get them nz new and cheap as chips or even look at the merc its self  same sort of year range.
have only come across them lately and seem to be a very underrated car in NZ and yet you read the reveiws on the motors and they are brilliant.
only suggesting the 3.0 turbo mercedes motor

i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 9:56am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm selling my 2009 bmw x5 35d motorsport. White with black leather. 600nm torque, 3.5t tow rating. Looking for 25k
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 10:10am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 12:47pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Or this beast:

From the thread it does appear that the bigger end of the trailer boat market are pushing the boundaries of standard traditional tow vehicles in NZ.
There's a big NIWA research boat that gets trailored to Half Moon Bay in Auckland, and they use a several tonne truck to tow it. The commercial guys who launch there use beaten up older Land Cruisers.

It's interesting that a number of the TV fishing shows use sponsored utes to tow vessels at the heavy end of the recreational market quite long distances. Ados, Big Angry Fish, Fishing & Adventure. Not sure about Matt W.
Wonder how they go at fitting into the weight and licencing restrictions mentioned above?
Page  12>