April Snap Fishing, Mokau..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: April Snap Fishing, Mokau..
    Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 8:18pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all, havent had many fishable days over the past month or so. With April being the Hirepool Baitmates annual Comp which i enter every year. Have done well over the years when Iv'e been able to get out. The 2nd of April produced a beauty day! and I managed a decent Snap over 11kg and went 82.5 long. Was in the top five for a few weeks and I was Chomping at the bit to get back out to have another crack at a better one. That day came yesterday with one day remaining. First look at the sea when i Arrived to launch thought Na I'm heading back home-To big! Hung around for ages at the beach watching the waves, and noticed the lulls were becoming more frequent, so with a bit of adrenaline running i went into launch mode! Had boat in water in waves reving motor hard for ten odd minutes then finally the right lull. Gunned it got safely out and didnt get a drop of water on me! Anchored up around 9am, caught plenty of bait but didnt hit any decent Snaps till 11.45am. The second one I got was a nice 20 lb da but swallowed the hooks so i and kept. The next few hours I let go alot in the 5-8 kg range and only kept gut hooked fish. Right through till 4pm when I pulled the pin I had good fishing with a couple more around the 20 mark but no bigger ones to get up the leader board in the comp. Arriving back in Mokau I drove around and gave all the bigger ones away to Families and kept some smaller ones for us.. So thats the Baitmates done and dusted another year, hope to be back next year.. Couple of photos- The fish from 2nd April and some of the ones from yesterday. Cheers G.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 8:42pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome mate another great post.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 9:29pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep fantastic fishing by a one of the greats, doing consistently.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 10:27pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Keeping it real, the Mokau magician strikes again. Well done Geoff. It's been great to have you back reporting, so many of us look up to you as a genuine snapper legend. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you nail a gigantic snap that will put you back in the DB hall of fame.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 11:16pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Geoff,paradiseThumbs Up
"Times up"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 6:05am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hehe go Snappa Geoff! Amazing
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 12:37pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thank you Guys for the kind words, Very Humbling Thumbs UpOn the really big Snaps, which I class as over 30 lbs, I always say to my mates and others they are the hard ones to catch!  Iv'e caught a few in my time, the last being 2012, a beauty going 94cm 14.48 kg. Took out the First ever Db Export national comp. Every trip I go out thats the fish I'm targeting. I might never get another, but would love to before Im to old to beach launch the little Mac Boat. On the Forum I have always liked this format for sharing on. You become like keyboard friends with alot of people, unlike Facebook. Of which Im not even a member! But have a nosey every now and then at fishing stuff through the wifes facebook. Keep the posts coming guys, theres been some great reading lately. Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 3:44pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Nice work Geoff. Some solid fish in the baitmates comp that's for sure.
Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 9:31pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another great read. Thanks Geoff. Love your posts even if I am rather jealous. My entries this year in the bait mates are for mystery lengths Embarrassed

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 10:14am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

An inspiring read on a dreary Auckland day
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 12:14pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Another great read. Thanks Geoff. Love your posts even if I am rather jealous. My entries this year in the bait mates are for mystery lengths Embarrassed

Hi Doug, Cheers for that. Yes the last few years they have added great prizes for the mystery lengths. Good Luck!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 12:17pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Sufishent Sufishent wrote:

An inspiring read on a dreary Auckland day
Thanks Sufishent, Started off yuk here thismorn but now bathed in sunshine! Beer