Gissy

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gissy
    Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 5:13pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So I can count the number of times I have surfcasted on one hand. Flopped a rod over a ledge somewhere sometime becuase it was there and so was I.
I had a day to kill in Gissy y/day and a mate up there is a keen surfcaster. He knew I was killing a bit of time so took me out for a fish off the rocks  at a spot he has recently prospected - fished it once before.
We sloshed our way out to the edge of a reef and fished an hr either side of low tide and I got these two guys.
The big guy was 25 lb, and literally was dragging me off the reef. I was in soled dive boots and they were skidding across the rock ledge. I was fishing on braid (his gear) amongst foul so when the line ran I just wound drag on til it stopped the fish.
But then I started moving instead.
Prob lucky to land it - braid must have been near breaking strain and plenty of foul to get snagged on.
Anyway - good fun. Who needs a boat?
Might buy a surfcaster.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 5:27pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Top stuff Alan.  Great pic.  
Time to take a surfcasting rod to Vtu.  A doggie session off the rocks down by the white house would be entertaining.  I'll watch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 5:57pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You would need to be chained to the edge. Your turn - I will watch.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 6:32pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow . Great fish. In this day and age so good to see. When the expected becomes the unexpected..  Could say your fishing trip was close to the edge-literally ..
Those fish ,the experience on that rocky shore, will remain with you forever. Well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 6:37pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

top notch fishing Alan~~well done  Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 6:57pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep - a couple of hrs with a rod, on a rock ledge, and for sure , it is up there with a marlin solo. Seriously. Great event. That is the stuff you remember.
I caught a big mahi once on a small trout fly (for a first time). Thats in the same drawer of memories. Its not about how many are in the bin. 
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 7:22pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work Alan, nothing like catching a nice snapper off the rocks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 7:32pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That is awesome Alan and what a great natural pic
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 7:39pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The joys of fishing.
And some people just don't get it??
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 8:02pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes I recon a fish (or two) off the bricks feel way better earned. BTW did your "guide" catch anything? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 10:03pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great work Alan,  that’s a beauty landbased anywhere
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 11:26pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great stuff. 👍
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 6:59am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks guys. I now get what the land based fishos are all about. Great adventure, different spots, and a real challenge to beat the odds.

"Yes I recon a fish (or two) off the bricks feel way better earned. BTW did your "guide" catch anything? "
Yep my mate got two also - one about the size of my smaller guy and another in the smaller pannie category.
He went back again y/day and got 2 smallish ones. He was feeding out burley in frozen balls about the size of a tennis ball. Whipped them out with a plastic thrower thing like you use for balls for the dog to chase.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 8:45am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just fished a local competition. Some of the surfcasters did better than the boaties. Surfcasting isn't my thing, but I was impressed and there are definitely good fish to be caught if you know what you're doing. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 11:03am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just ask me if you need any tips MB  :-)
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 1:22pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 3:44pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Beauty fish there Alan, looks like the day let some sunshine for you too! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 5:14pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We were lucky- my mate figured the conditions looked decent - so called me while I was still in Hawkes Bay - to organise for the next day.
The tide was right - low mid morning, and a very low tide. And the swell was down, and wind decent. Everything lined up, and then the fish turned up too.
As Uncle says - one of those trips to remember.
I did take him fishing once when he was on a trip to Vtu. He nailed a good mahi in 10 minutes. He was chaperonning a school trip. We took the fish back for the kids to have fish n chips. 
So, the favour was returned some yrs later.
If you guys need any surfcasting tips - don't be afraid to ask.
Alan.
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 6:40pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice couple fish Al,.
 I dont regcognise the spot, you care to share, you did after all say if we needed any tips just ask LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2024 at 7:20pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We could see them feeding the stingrays. My mate thought I had snagged one for a while. But I could feel the nodding.
I called snapper.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  12>