Bay of Islands 29 January - 4 February?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bay of Islands 29 January - 4 February?
    Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 10:54am
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So ... I now have drop in outriggers, game rods, lures and more (thanks KevinS) and we will be staying in the Russell Top 10 campground end of Jan. We will be there for 6 nights and I am hoping to spend 2 or 3 days towing lures round ... (and some other time spearfishing etc.) 

If anyone is around that way I would be keen to chat as on the game fishing front I am pretty much "all the gear and no idea" at the moment. (and if you want to know about spearfishing we can trade)

Keep an eye out for the blue Profile hardtop "Spear Time" (the name has been added since this pic was taken) ...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 7:48pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome - have  a great trip in one of the best bits of this country.
Hopefully the weather works for you.
Are those carbon fibre poles? Fished on a mates boat yday with some . very nice kit.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 9:57pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very nice rig there Tony. I'll be likely working (except the Monday). Hope the weather and fish play ball for you. Just be aware you could so easily become addicted to game fishing.
Local Channel is 3. Coastguard don't operate out of the bay but Russell Radio do (local volunteers) on 63. Personally when I fish from the B.O.I I still use Tutukaka channel 7. You will find 3 very quiet as the locals keep their cards close to their chests. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 11:52pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm in Paihia mate, i'll pm you my number. Fishing has been hot up here lately, with boats getting up to 4 fish a day and sread out over wide areas. We got a double on the weekend, headed home before lunch with one onboard and the other released. Epic start to the season, hopefully it lasts
Weather has been a bit fickle so hopefully it settles down
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 3:00pm
Platinum
Platinum

Update: thanks to krow and terrafish for the PMs with advice etc. For some reason I couldn't log in to fishing.net on my phone (user error ...).

I followed the BOI and Whangarei clubs on Facebook so could see where others had been hooking up.

We had a great time with 3 good days out on the water.  First day (Tuesday 30/1) was more inshore fishing then we had a solid day towing lures wide of Cape Brett on Wednesday followed by Thursday being 50:50 with the morning out wide and the afternoon in Whangamumu Harbour and round the entrance where I jumped in with a speargun.

We had one solid strike on Wednesday. I didn't see what it was but it really got the adrenalin running when it went for a solid run and then spat the hook :( 

Shelly did well with looking after the helm etc. while I raced round clearing gear etc.  I couldn't stop the thing running - it was like a freight train (I have a bit to learn with this rod fishing thing - never mind game fishing).

I'm keen to have another crack - so now I just need to line up a weather window with a weekend ...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 9:56pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good on ya Tony. Thought I recognised that beautiful boat. Your marlin will come , stick at it. Cheers Shane.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2024 at 5:45am
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers for update.
You still have time to quit this new obsession before you really get hooked.
It's time on water, and learning.
Enjoy
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2024 at 8:40am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good one PM. It is something else when a big fish grabs a trolled lure. Freight train is a good description!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2024 at 1:39pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Awesome - have  a great trip in one of the best bits of this country.
Hopefully the weather works for you.
Are those carbon fibre poles? Fished on a mates boat yday with some . very nice kit.
Alan

Sorry Alan - missed the question earlier. The poles are two piece telescopic fibreglass with a bent butt so they can drop into a rod holder.  Here's a picture of the boat with them fitted (in Whangamumu Harbour).

I still need to decide whether leaving them rigged they way they are currently or change to have the cord for the roller clips running through the small cleat near the base of each one will work best for me.

And here's a link to them:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2024 at 5:52pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice, it's always good to get a bite, even if you don't see it, just keeps that morale going!
You've got my number, so if you find yourself back up here and need a hand, count me in.
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator