Hauraki Gulf Iwi 'Fisheries Officers'

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hauraki Gulf Iwi 'Fisheries Officers'
    Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 12:35pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2022/10/auckland-iwi-worried-about-overfishing-as-they-take-on-major-project-to-protect-hauraki-gulf.html

i saw this on the TV this morning - but the interviewer didnt cover whether they fell under jurisdiction of proper govt agency

do they have any power to enforce govt legislation - or are they nothing more than some sort of vigilante fisheries patrol group? 
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 1:14pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's getting a bit out of hand.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 2:07pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm pretty sure they will have to become actual fisheries officers, otherwise I can imagine the response they will get from some fishers.  More fisheries officers around can only be a good thing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 5:06pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2022/10/auckland-iwi-worried-about-overfishing-as-they-take-on-major-project-to-protect-hauraki-gulf.html

i saw this on the TV this morning - but the interviewer didnt cover whether they fell under jurisdiction of proper govt agency

do they have any power to enforce govt legislation - or are they nothing more than some sort of vigilante fisheries patrol group? 
After reading that they will get a big dose of FOFF if they try to inspect my catch. Not MPI/Fishary officers just IWI trying to make themselves look good.Meanwhile their whanau continue on with ripping the system off. Be a call to 111 saying I am being boarded by pirates.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 6:35pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I watched yesterday.
Played up his years of experience at the tender age of 22.
LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 8:48pm
Titanium
Titanium

perhaps just emboldened by Hone's northland roadblocks...? 
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 10:32pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Geez some of you blokes are quick to have a winge... 
Lots of previous  post's bemoaning  never being able to get a FO to attend a suspected offence, yet here you have Iwi actively taking a part in policing fisheries.
 The articles clearly  states " The intention is to have three crews of fisheries officers on the water by chritmas" 

Kevin.s I think ya absolutly correct.

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 11:54pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If they're warranted fisheries officers, then it can only be a good thing. If not, then they are just vigilantes with no enforcement powers. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 4:22am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Titahi Titahi wrote:

Geez some of you blokes are quick to have a winge... 
Lots of previous  post's bemoaning  never being able to get a FO to attend a suspected offence, yet here you have Iwi actively taking a part in policing fisheries.
 The articles clearly  states " The intention is to have three crews of fisheries officers on the water by chritmas" 

Kevin.s I think ya absolutly correct.

There was no mention of actually becoming warrented officers thats the concerning part.

Yes FOs are required in the gulf but not vigilantes ,bona fide officers only. Yes we all have a responsibility to dob in poachers but I have no right to inspect your catch if I suspect you to be poaching.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 6:10am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its a given that to be  a paid fisheries officer or Honorary fisheries officer you must be warranted, to obtain the warrant you  must do the prescribed training and hours.  

Pcj That stuff in ya hands is called Straw,  stop grabbing at it.....

I thought the concerning part was "Meanwhile their whanau continue on with ripping the system off." Your statement........ that actually displays  a  sadly to common bias.

Maybe 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 7:07am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Current there is a Rahui covering the the Tapu Waikawau area imposed by the local IWI who I know personally. Guess who was there taking mussels on the weekend (not from the local IWI) and told the locals to FFoff when approached.

There’s been fishing officers there every day keeping an eye on the place, but these guys just waited for them to leave.

Fishery department is way under resourced so as long as these guys are there to help I don’t have a problem.

Nothing worse than poaching IMO, I would go out on the boat with them myself to stop the buggers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 9:37pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Titahi Titahi wrote:

Its a given that to be  a paid fisheries officer or Honorary fisheries officer you must be warranted, to obtain the warrant you  must do the prescribed training and hours. 

You have more faith in the governance of this country than I do, but I hope you're right because that would be a win for everybody. Road blocks in the north come to mind. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 10:05pm
Titanium
Titanium

http://www.doc.govt.nz/haveyoursayonthegulf

We ve got the prospect of the HPA areas being put in place soon - with some people, but not others, having rights to continue fishing these areas

Is it any co-incidence that we have new Iwi patrols being setup to help?
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 10:35pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

MB I think you make a valid point, Governance is the role of  beaurecratic departments,  staffed with humans, some of which are exceptional, some of which are just there to punch the clock. 

I am an optimist,  and despite its many faults New Zealand is still a very lucky country, just look to the West to see that amount of graft and corruption that occurs  (Repeated different police forces and trade unions, as well as the multitude of politicians) 

Ive just finished reading " The Gulag Archipelago' It reinforces my belief that NZ has a decent history and prospects.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 6:53am
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Amen
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 8:06pm
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If all is above board and ligit then all for it ., more patrols the better . If it's some half pie s**t then yeah not for it at all, go get a real job.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 8:22pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by lawabidingpoacher lawabidingpoacher wrote:

If all is above board and ligit then all for it ., more patrols the better . If it's some half pie s**t then yeah not for it at all, go get a real job.
strange how fisheries weren't part of the interview says it all for me.they are against it??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 8:31pm
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah , just tryin  to keep an open mind at the moment. Time will tell !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 1:55pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've made a submission for what it's worth (bugger all!). Allowing Customary Fishing in the new HPAs doesn't make any sense at all. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 2:04pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Results out February 2023. Yes submitted asking same regarding iwi in reserves picking permit only for a valid reason like a kamatua dying. Like taking with permit of toheroa but I believe only for certain events.
Page  12>