pvc pipe sizes

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pvc pipe sizes
    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 1:51pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm knocking up a flounder light
I have most of the parts, just need to order some 1m lengths of pipe & end caps to finish it off
The 90 & 45 deg bends & tee pipe are labelled 32mm
What size pipe do I order, not sure if I go OD or ID
Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote funandfunction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 2:05pm
funandfunction View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If the fittings say 32mm then you need to order 32mm pipe.
Measure the ID of the bore in those fittings.....I'm guessing it will be about 38mm ? So the pipes are gauged on ID.
There are two types of people in the world: those that divide people into two types and those that don't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 3:09pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

From Mr Google.
"PVC Pipe sizes are so named by the measurement of the inside diameter (also called the bore) of the PVC pipe, and not the outside diameter. ... The pipe will always be larger on the outside than the size name, as the thickness of the 'walls' of the pipe make it larger".
Pipe is generally ordered by ID and tube is generally ordered by OD.
That is, 25NB pipe is approx 32-33mm O/D and 16mmØ ERW tube is 16mm O/D.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 4:21pm
Platinum
Platinum

funandfunction
thanks, will order the 32mm pipe

v8-coupe
I did the google thing as well , meant nothing to me
When the pipe had 32mm on it, thought may have to drop down pipe size
Anyways, its sussed now

hope to spear some flatties this week
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 5:12pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Damn
What happen to the old school broom stick with 6" nail pushed up in a hole drilled in the bottom.
 A small glass marmite jar taped to the broom stick just above the nail.
A torch bulb hanging inside by the wires thru the lid.. taped to the broom stick and sealed with tap , up to a 9v dolphin battery in your oil skin jacket.
And a potato sack, bit twine thru each side about 2/3 up from the bottom, tidied around the wast to drop the flounder in.

Looks like I answered my own question.
1/ dont have glass marimte jars any more
2/ oil skin jackets pretty much obsoleted these days
4/ hessian potato sacks, they still around?
5/ broom sticks still made of wood?

Oh well we call that progress Wink

If we used the dingy, one pushed with the oar, the other on the bow.. and the pump up tilly lamp hanging off a pole across the bow.

That maybe out as we .. havnt seen a pump up tilly lamp in yrs..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 5:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hehe I remember using a tilly lamp as a kid, thank goodness for progress
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 5:38pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those things were dangerous - Tilly lamps.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 5:49pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So was the DDT fly spray, the lead paint on our cots, the pewter toys solders we chewed on..Wink
And here we are.

We never had an issue with the tillys.. early ones where white spirits.. had to be careful with those, only if the leather seals leaked,  then they made them to run on kero and better seal materials.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 6:00pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Those things were dangerous - Tilly lamps.
Alan

They were pretty well the only option unless you didn't mind carrying a 6 v motorcycle battery around or replacing the mantle each third or 4th time used & the glass every time it was splashed even lightly with water.

Must admit tho despite the setbacks ... they did throw a very nice sublime light that did not seem to scare the flounder unduly.

Re pipe sizes ... the NB rating stands for nominal bore ie not actual
size as has an allowance for a tapered pipe thread .... does for galv piping anyway .... presume pvc is the same.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 6:53pm
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

I'm knocking up a flounder light
I have most of the parts, just need to order some 1m lengths of pipe & end caps to finish it off
The 90 & 45 deg bends & tee pipe are labelled 32mm
What size pipe do I order, not sure if I go OD or ID
Cheers

Depends if it's electrical PVC conduit pipes or plumbing.
Electrical is OD measurement and plumbing is ID.

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:23pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Aaaand...you can't mix waste pipe and pressure pipe...they are different od sizes. Pick one and stick with it.

We used to use a headlight ot the smaller big Jim sized lamps and sealed the terminals with wax.
Had an inner tube with a sack over it, it carried the battery, rope to tow it with.
Then dad got a mercury electric outboard, so we used that , one drove, the other peered over the front with the headlight and the spear..all ahead dead slow...
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 10:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How heavy / big where your guys batteries?
Small lead acid where not around then.. or not affordable maybe?  A elcheapo dolphin torch, the bulb , bulb holder and the carbon 9v battery in the jacket pocket.

This  is interesting stuff, but bit late in learning about itDisapprove

.you can't mix waste pipe and pressure pipe...they are different od sizes. Pick one and stick with it.

Put in a couple IBC tanks not long ago.. So spouting pipe to the tank..
but before the tank a vertical 100mm section to catch the 1st lot dirty water off the roof, type 'filter'
Other than fittings , had the pipe (waste/ pressure/ sink drains etc) laying around from building an ensuite on the 1st lock down.
Spent a bit of time in the pipe fittings shelves of the local supplier matching up the 100mm waster water pipe as the filter... then find a seal for the bottom screw on end bit.

Now I know why

No we did not do any of the waste water stuff on the ensuite.. except digging to expose the connections and the trenches. Water to taps etc, well thats just commonsence to run water pipes, positioning taps in the shower wall,  crimping and stuff, and the friendly plumber checking in / looking over our shoulder ...just to make sure.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 8:37pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Small lead acid where not
around then.. or not affordable maybe?  A elcheapo dolphin torch, the
bulb , bulb holder and the carbon 9v battery in the jacket pocket.

This  is interesting stuff, but bit late in learning about itDisapprove

.you can't mix waste pipe and pressure pipe...they are different od sizes. Pick one and stick with it.

Put in a couple IBC tanks not long ago.. So spouting pipe to the tank..
but before the tank a vertical 100mm section to catch the 1st lot dirty water off the roof, type 'filter'
Other
than fittings , had the pipe (waste/ pressure/ sink drains etc) laying
around from building an ensuite on the 1st lock down.
Spent a bit of
time in the pipe fittings shelves of the local supplier matching up the
100mm waster water pipe as the filter... then find a seal for the bottom screw
on end bit.

Now I know why

No we did not do any of the waste water stuff on the ensuite.. except digging to expose the connections and the trenches. Water to taps etc, well thats just commonsence to run water pipes, positioning taps in the shower wall,  crimping and stuff, and the friendly plumber checking in / looking over our shoulder ...just to make sure.

When dragging the sack covered tube, a small car battery..in the dinghy we had a 13 or 15 plate deep cycle marine battery to power the outboard.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 8:37pm
Platinum
Platinum

Small lead acid where not around then.. or not affordable maybe?  A elcheapo dolphin torch, the bulb , bulb holder and the carbon 9v battery in the jacket pocket.

Im using my kayak fishfinder battery, so now, the battery has 2 uses

https://www.vikingkayaks.co.nz/shop/accessories/fish+finders%2C+batteries%2C+vhf+radios/fpv+17.5ah+lithium+battery+and+charger+8373
My flounder light will run 2x6w leds = 1000 lumens

The photo above shows the beam of 750 lumens, which clearly illuminates the bottom 15 to 20 feet away

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 8:57am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been a while since had a wander around the flats...

"illuminates the bottom 15 to 20 feet away"
 If we though back in the day a beam was the way to go we would have simply tapped the water proof dolphin lamp a stick.

A thought.. you are on a over nighter , a lamp or torch off the stern, where are the fish? On the edges of the light...

So why have a beam so far out beyond your each?

Also a beam.. waving that around under the water?
I have not done so, but wave a torch into a school of fish at night off the stern and they dont like it...

A LED inherently is a beam light..just see where you point
 Incandescent or tilly is all directions.. the edges gently moving along under the water. One actually sees them coming in from directions in the cnr of your eye....including the big sting rays..Wink

And lot of light, again impressive, again would a bright light be better at waking up the fish , or a basic incandescent light just enough to see a meter diameter around you be better?

Just a few thoughts may like to consider.

I see modern technology applied to some things, looks good , definitely a profit in it, yet the old school beats it hands down.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:45am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I just have a length of 10mm alloy pipe bent on the end and I just tape a waterproof torch on the end like this one, I just dismantle the torch when finished give it a good wash in fresh water and bit of spray oil. Been using it for years down bottom gulf on about my third torch.

https://www.burnsco.co.nz/led-waterproof-torch-burnsco
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 10:13am
Platinum
Platinum

So why have a beam so far out beyond your reach?

And lot of light, again impressive, again would a bright light be better at waking up the fish , or a basic incandescent light just enough to see a meter diameter around you be better?

Just a few thoughts may like to consider.

The under water lights are heaps better, once under water the directional light becomes a flood light, allowing you to see more

Once your target is spotted, you can walk slowly to the flounder.
Since fish appear bigger in water, many a times I have placed my gumboot along the side of the flounder to guage it's size, move foot away then spear it in the head

Before the use of underwater lights, we used the 6v dolphin lights, at times when approaching the flounder, they would at times, buggar off
Underwater lights, not really, unless you do things in such a way to spook them

I've seen videos online where the angler actually taps the flounder on its side with a spear and it did not move. The flounder appears to be mezmorised by the light, putting it in some sort of trance...... try it next time, you will be quite surprised
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 10:48am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK. like I said above,  havnt used beams..
hence questions/ thoughts..
 Good explantion
 Thanks.. food for further thought.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 11:05am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We used to use a 7in sealed beam car headlight floating along beside the dinghy with the battery in the boat, it used to really light things up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 11:39am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The old days it was tilley lamps and they oldies did ok.
Page  12>