Hibiscus Coast Rock Fishing Mish...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (8) Likes(8)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hibiscus Coast Rock Fishing Mish...
    Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 7:24pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

SO yeah didn't go fishing in lockdown but this is from a few weeks back - great being on the water even if I did lose a few good fish....

A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 2:50pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice to see mate ,at lest you were out there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 3:36pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I was reading today the police are allowing whitebaiters even though people are ringing the hotline to complain about it. So, maybe there's hope for physically distanced rock hoppers too?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 4:04pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmm whitebaiters you say? Well maybe if the lockdown goes on they may let us go out and fish sensibly....
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 4:22pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah ya gotta wonder aye. Whitebaiters seem to be allowed- even though there appears to be a lot of Karens out there dobbing them in. Mountain bikers all over the country seem to be having a lot of fun aswell.... it comes under exercise. 
If they gave the green light to land based fishing.... which I bet the entire country would take up instantly to relive the boredom .....some dickhead will get washed off the rocks and die out west somewhere. Its a definite. We all know it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 5:22pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It may of ben a take by all accounts .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 5:24pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some great casts with the unweighted pillie pieces Scott. Great relaxation.

Many a spot on the eastern bays shoreline that still deliver pannies like that on an unweighted strayline in the guts & gullies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 8:03pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Customary right by all accounts.

Is that a piss take or for real. If real where is it written please Pcj
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 2:13am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Customary right by all accounts.
post removed you maybe correct but still up on another thread.?? but confusion is there.   https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/449932/confusion-reigns-over-covid-19-alert-level-whitebaiting-rules

Is that a piss take or for real. If real where is it written please Pcj
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 8:41am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Yeah ya gotta wonder aye. Whitebaiters seem to be allowed- even though there appears to be a lot of Karens out there dobbing them in. Mountain bikers all over the country seem to be having a lot of fun aswell.... it comes under exercise. 
If they gave the green light to land based fishing.... which I bet the entire country would take up instantly to relive the boredom .....some dickhead will get washed off the rocks and die out west somewhere. Its a definite. We all know it.

Might look like we are having fun but just staying sane and getting fresh air by riding around in urban areas and low grade trails. 

Been told to keep it local and not ride anything above grade 3 which is really just guidance only as we really just need to apply common sense (and some aren't). I've moved our jump ramp in off the street. Dont usually see others using it as we are in a culdersac but would hate to be seen to be encouraging others.  

In regards to shore fishing, think beach/wharf was allowed under level 3 right? Hopefully not too far away for some parts of the country. 

Also - another great vid Scott. Appreciate the entertainment in times like these. 
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 11:22am
Gold
Gold

From this news article:

According to police, whitebaiters are not breaking any rules.

Senior Sergeant Al Fenwick says the best information police have is that whitebaiting, or food gathering in a safe manner, was above board. He said police were taking a commonsense approach to the activity.

As long as there were no bubbles breached, people were staying close to home, not travelling to participate in whitebaiting and were keeping safe on land – the activity was permitted.

This will continue to be their approach, although he warns it could change.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 11:24am
Gold
Gold

Does this mean I can ride my bike down to the waters edge and chuck a line in?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 11:52am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've been trying to work out what we can and can't do. Not being a dick, and not trying to find loopholes. The law is laid out here: https://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2021/0210/latest/LMS536652.html

It would appear that we can take part in land-based fishing within sensible limits and don't think there is any practical difference in the law as it applies to Maori and non-Maori. I think the information given on other government websites is guidance rather the law.  Whether the police and Karens know this is another matter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 12:27pm
Gold
Gold

(e) (iv) is open to interpretation. There have been whitebaiting fatalities in the past and I bet anyone could make the case for injuries and accidents for any other land-based sport/recreation/pastime too.

Perhaps the key is if it will endanger others that come to assist anyone in trouble, but even by that measure it would mean just about anything. Drive your car off the road to avoid a dog and you could be half way down a steep cliff. Fall in while whitebaiting and get swept out and rescue services could potentially be called out to assist.

Given the confusion between govt departments, the only thing that seems to be clear is that clarity is not forthcoming.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 8:11am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

I've been trying to work out what we can and can't do. Not being a dick, and not trying to find loopholes. The law is laid out here: https://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2021/0210/latest/LMS536652.html

It would appear that we can take part in land-based fishing within sensible limits and don't think there is any practical difference in the law as it applies to Maori and non-Maori. I think the information given on other government websites is guidance rather the law.  Whether the police and Karens know this is another matter.

I noticed this wording the other day as was looking at the section above saying you can use a vehicle to get to places for exercise. 

The term 'other recreation' is quite wide reaching and vague. From memory last year I'm sure we were 'told' no fishing under level 4 and limited fishing (from wharves / beaches etc) in level 3. Having said that, still seen a few people shore fishing this lockdown, as per last, including a guy surfcasting off takapuna beach boat ramp last weekend. 

In regards to the fishing under the next section, it comes down to the technical reading of that sentence "to exercise Maori customary rights to fishing and food gathering" and whether the maori customary rights are to "fishing and food gathering"   or are the "Maori customary rights to fishing" and "food gathering" two seperate things?     

Given the header of 'limited customary purposes" I would have thought the intention of the wording was in respect of "Maori customary rights to fishing and food gathering" so wouldn't apply to anyone without Maori customary rights. I'm no lawyer though and despite english being my first language, my grammar is kinda crap. 

LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 12:25pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Pasted from here:

Fishing and whitebaiting

At Alert Level 4, recreational fishing and whitebaiting is not allowed, except for Māori customary fishing and food gathering. If you are fishing or whitebaiting for this reason, make sure you:

• keep it local and stick to your household bubble
  • do not use a boat or go into the water to fish
  • keep 2 metres away from others
  • do not do anything that may expose you to danger, or require rescue services.

I was a bit confused by the wording: "except for Māori customary fishing and food gathering"
Does this mean Māori customary fishing, and anyone can gather food, or Māori customary fishing, and Māori customary food gathering? Maybe some people are interpreting it as the first one.

Also, I imagine the police do not want to get involved with asking people to prove that they are Māori. I imagine this is a minefield. People do not carry papers around with them to say they are Maori, and police will not want to get into debates that they cannot prove on the spot, and that could end in a backlash when a Māori man is arrested for not "looking" Māori.

Also, just because police are not arresting everyone, doesn't mean it is OK. I go for a walk every day, and most people are not wearing masks. I have seen police drive past people not wearing masks, riding a bike with no helmet, and the police didn't stop them. There are probably bigger breaches, and they probably just have too many other things to do when they are short staffed. Remember, cops have children, and schools and daycares are closed, so some will not be in work.

Karens gonna be Karens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2021 at 8:29am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Well its seems all good now with clarification coming over the weekend with the government stating that 

You can fish from a wharf or the shore, but do not cast off the rocks or fish from a boat. Boating is not allowed. Keep it local — go to your nearest fishing spot, not your favourite fishing spot.
LedgeNZ LBG