FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trojen winch hard to pull out. Stumped

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trojen winch hard to pull out. Stumped
    Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 2:57pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The 10:1  5:1 manual trojen which has slowly become noiset5y and harder to pull the rope out.
 So I replaced the bushes .. the main spool where rather , but not excessively worn...
Wasnt  them.
 Its just when pulling the rope out, winding up no issues at all.
 Stumped.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 3:30pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Did you replace the nylon bushes at each end of the main shaft?IF so, did you grease them? If you did, try cleaning the grease out and using a squirt of silicon spray instead. Sometimes that helps but normally if hard to pull out there is extra play somewhere where it shouldn't be
www.dreamboats.com        Bareboat Charters - Fishing Charters - Corporate and Party Cruises
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 3:50pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did you replace the nylon bushes at each end of the main shaft?
 yes..
IF so, did you grease them? If you did, try cleaning the grease out and using a squirt of silicon spray instead.
 I was thinking at the time.. "should I use petroleum grease on nylon bushes or not"... and did...I had lent my pack of inox grease to a m8 to service his reels....
And didnt give another thought till you mentioned it..
 Thanks

Was fine for the 1st trip out.. then got harder and harder each trip... when pull on the rope... spin the spool with handle or electric drill, turns out the rope perfect...

Sometimes that helps but normally if hard to pull out there is extra play somewhere where it shouldn't be.
 That is what have been looking for.. shims all replaced as per original assembly, no play...Thu initially did have an issue with a pin move and rub the side of the gear next to it.. quick tap fixed that.

Will pull the pins and slide the main axles out grease , and re grease in next few days.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 8:06pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Similar situation "Steps" on a friends trailer,managed to get some Teflon turned down for bushes ,no grease used and presto it works,starting to think there are different qualities of nylon about today,in a totally different situation we used nylon bushes and an old tub of castrol grease and it basically ate the nylon in a very short time.
QMS is not WORKING
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 8:06pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try removing the small sprocket (gear) you don't use as wear and tear on the gear maybe causing a slight alignment issue. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote post hole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 8:13pm
post hole View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mine used to do that found a good spray of crc and it would be sweet for a few months.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 8:45am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try removing the small sprocket (gear) you don't use as wear and tear on the gear maybe causing a slight alignment issue. 

the gears not /have no wear.. everything gets lubed, sprayed after every trip.. steering to wheel nuts.
And we use both gears.. the drill pulls the boat up on the 10:1, and if someone is free, take a little load off the drill on the 5:1.. when can catch it spinning.

a friends trailer,managed to get some Teflon turned down for bushes ,no grease used and presto it works,starting to think there are different qualities of nylon about today
 Bushes less than $5 each.. takes 15/ 20 mins to replace..
 The side loading of the main bushes, teflon IS NOT  the material of choice at all...If it was, I have a lathe and have a couple blocks teflon on the shelf 
 Ideally needle bearings on the main shaft would be the go, but at $60 + each.. As against $7/8 and 20 mins every 6 or 7 yrs, and thats on a winch used on ave every 2 to 3 weeks.

Mine used to do that found a good spray of crc and it would be sweet for a few months.
Yep it was just brain freeze when I assembled...
 Long term I suggest go to inox rather than CRC as many CRCs will eventually soften the surface molecules of the nylon.
We all think of inox and reels.. back in the 70s we used gallons of it on nylon bushes, conveyor/ roller components, table surfaces as it met food hygiene regulations.

What is of poor design or practice, is pulling the boat up tight .. have chain on of coarse (untensioned), and the rear tie downs holding the boat forward...but the main load is the winch.. or rather on the main shaft bushes.
We use a large truck tie down to take most of the load off the winch.  Not the one in this pic..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 6:29pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So a man with solutions to everything can't solve this problem.
Could you not download the appropriate solution to pass on.

Has that boat ever been in the water.

I mean really Steps. You can do better then this. I know you know the answer.

Just cruising in a pimped old Surtees! Or my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 9:58am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So a man with solutions to everything can't solve this problem.
Could you not download the appropriate solution to pass on.

That comment is offensive, and ignorant 
There are many on these fortums who are regular  crew, know the boat , know that the stuff I comment on is not mythical"download"

Has that boat ever been in the water.

Lets see.. last week, the weel before, about 3 weeks before that.. a break for couple months.. only got out 2x cause selling the house..
Oh and I order my XD50 oil by the 20L go thru 2.5 to 3.5 drums per yr, and that been for the last 7/8 yrs

How often do you get out?

If you had an open mind, you would notice a lot of my stuff have comments like.. dont ask how I know not to do this.
 And also stuff is backed up with pics... of our own boat trailer etc...

And in this case IF you bother to read you will see where I say in replay to Tagit I had thought about the issue when doing, real dumb, and still did it , then forgot..

What a stupid very poorly thought out and researched  post to make m8, when there are so many,including on these forums who have seen with their own eyes...