Carrots, carrots, carrots.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carrots, carrots, carrots.....
    Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 4:28pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And more carrots . First off a belated TR for Sat 21/06. Launched Waiake and hit the carrot patch
before sunup. Everything lined up, last hour of outgoing, first light and on the bitetime.....nada for the
first hour and a half, bait ,burley, sliders....could not buy a fish. After turn of tide all changed. Baits were
the go, got gurnard on every rig including a big straylined fillet. Ended the day with 22 gurnard and 3 snaps.

Move on to Sat 30th and exact same time and place except for opposite tides....and the temps,
brrrrr...had to wash the ice off the van to load the boat. Well worth it for this

Almost top of tide, right in the middle of hot bite time and..... damned if the same did not happen again.
Burley bombs down, strayline out, flasher rig and slider deployed, nada. First 2 hours had one 38cm
snap in the box

Knew they had to be there so changed tack and went to micro jigs....jackpot

Had great fun standing with a rod in each hand bouncing a bruised banana slider on one and a pink/blue
micro on the other and seeing which one got slammed first. Micro jig definately got more and bigger
fish. Also worked better when jigged aggressively off the bottom and even had them chasing it 8 to 10
turns up. These are really good fun on light gear and great to eat.
Ended with 3 snaps up to 45, 2 big kahawai and 14 gurnard. Distinct lack of jack macs and small KY.
Beautiful weather and fun fishing.

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 8:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Blardy good! Thumbs Up
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 9:45pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great report!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 8:51am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I (think) I see the lures rigged with trailing hook...this being as you drag and blip the lure along, the hook is behind and hooking the gurnard...?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 9:48am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great going...have heard similar stories carrots 3-1 to snapper down in the firth.😀
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 2:58pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Espresso Espresso wrote:

I (think) I see the lures rigged with trailing hook...this being as you drag and blip the lure along, the hook is behind and hooking the gurnard...?

Hi Expresso, yip you see right. Must be a throwback to the days when the only lures we had were spoons. I have always used these types of jigs the "wrong" way🤔....in my mind it seems more logical. Works for me as I get good bites and hookup rate👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 5:35pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I like it and your approach - it works. Nicely done.

Mmmm crumbed gurnard fillets...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 6:57pm
Platinum
Platinum

"Mmmm crumbed gurnard fillets.."

For sure, also great when lightly smoked.....yum😉