FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who's been saltwater fly fishing? The Tropics

Page  123 30>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who's been saltwater fly fishing? The Tropics
    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 6:52pm
neil c View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Originally posted by neil c neil c wrote:

Looks like a positive eat!!

How we got the eats was the interesting bit, but that's the subject of a future article

Looking forward to that Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 7:54am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

21.50 FJ822 Nadi - Cassidy, CXI. A great flight that one if you can grab some shut eye.

Have fun Craig. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 6:15am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good onya CD Have a great trip! Look forward to seeing some pics of big fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craignzcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 7:41pm
craignzcd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

off to play in cxi tomorrow....hope to chase some more bones and have a good go at getting a trigger...and maybe a sail if we can raise them again......will try and post a few pics while over there...cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 12:51pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Originally posted by neil c neil c wrote:

How we got the eats was the interesting bit, but that's the subject of a future article
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 12:25pm
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Unreal. Thanks for that.
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 9:48am
neil c View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Stunning at any size Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 9:37am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

From a difficult flat on Mahe in the Seychelles. My son Josh is working there. He is getting these guys wired. This was his fish. One of the biggest we caught. Josh caught twice as many as me (I got four over a few days). Mine always seemed to be smaller than Josh's. They were mainly juveniles ranging up to about two kilos. Lovely fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfish marquand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 8:05am
Mudfish marquand View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Absolutely mesmerizing Craig. Please tell us more.
On the fly or not interested.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 8:55pm
Mike.Thomas View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very Nice!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 6:21am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Mucking about with video upload. Had to convert to GIF so some quality lost. Will try other formats later...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 5:48am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good stuff Mike I think I'd be happier with the bass. That's a nice specimen   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 3:57am
Mike.Thomas View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not Really the tropics, but not NZ! I have a flat overlooking Portsmouth Harbour in England and the very large Mullet that hang around right in front of my place are driving me nuts! I am pretty sure they are here to breed, not feed as they just will not look at anything. Anyway today I was fishing down there while some very large Mullet ignored my fly, then I saw a grey shape moving left to right about 30 feet out, a quick cast 3 feet in front of it produced an immediate response and I was finally in, hooray at last, two years of trying and finally I have one! Hang on for a big Mullet it's not pulling as much string as I would expect, they are not called the British Bonefish for nothing, anyway after it went through about five clumps of weed about 5 minutes later I get it close enough to get a good look and it is a really good size Bass!
I have never been so disappointed to land a really good fish, a PB for Bass on fly at about 4lb +, but still not a Mullet!LOL
All the best
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 7:29pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

One thing I didn't mention - their version of the sandfly is a tiny little "no-see-um" meat eating, flesh-boring cnut I mean gnat of a thing. Wear longs. Take heaps of insect repellent and not that watered down Bushman crap I took which is only 20% Deet. Take full on plastic-melting, titanium-destroying Deet. My feet look like when Deadpool takes off his mask. Dead

Just the fish thanks, just keep posting pictures of the fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 8:34am
neil c View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Turangi is great mate, no crocs or snakes here and you can actually see the sandflies LOL

Yeah saw that vid, we had them around the old home grounds of Mackay but as you go further north you never get complacent. It still amazes me how an animal of 4 -5m can be sunning on a mud bank and silently slide back into the water and be gone from sight as if never there. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:12pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Neil how’s Turangi? Yeah we saw crocs up to about 3m. You may have seen that video recently of the dog that was taken from the Cardwell foreshore? That was close to where we stayed. Lady at the motel said there was a 5m beastie hanging around
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:42pm
neil c View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nothing wrong with that spread of species Thumbs Up glad you got into some of what the area can conjure up, it's the kind of place that gets under your skin and every victory can be hard earned, I miss it heaps. Dave and his AFO crew are all top fishos that know the area very well, if it isn't already then it really should be near the top of your destination wish list.

The clouds of mangrove sandflies will do your head in on calm days, there is a good reason Snelly has everything done up tight, the sods will crawl up shirtsleeves or down collars.....other than that it is a fantastic place LOL

See any crocs?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:16pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

One thing I didn't mention - their version of the sandfly is a tiny little "no-see-um" meat eating, flesh-boring cnut I mean gnat of a thing. Wear longs. Take heaps of insect repellent and not that watered down Bushman crap I took which is only 20% Deet. Take full on plastic-melting, titanium-destroying Deet. My feet look like when Deadpool takes off his mask. Dead
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:29pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Oh wow, looks like a great trip!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:13pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Brilliant! All great fish. Love the barra
Page  123 30>