Tongariro Delta lake Taupo

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 12:26pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

Yes jigging would be the go to now , for sure.
Stay 300m out from the markers at the river mouths and just check your sounder.
Be prepared to raise your flies to the level where the trout are showing.
Try The tokaanu hole - starts 30metres past channel markers at tailrace.
THe drop offs around the delta and Stump bay - look from 25, down to 50m or 60m plus.
Oreti time share resort just south of Pukawa bay (next to kuratau)- again the drop offs.
Look for where other boats are jigging.
Flies - grey ghost, jack spratt, ginger mick preferably in uv.

Of course the delta flyfishing can turn up fish anytime of the day, arguably best early, remember your stern anchor to lay your boat straight.  Booby and glo bug combos normally work there.

Harling at first light will still work too - I would use similar smelt flies to jigging.
Thanks Russell - will give it a go and post how I got on.  Cheers
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 10:31am
Titanium
Titanium

Well checked forecast and not as good as it was but thought it would be ok Mon morning - arrived at Kuratau at dawn - windy and choppy!  Went round to Tokaanu ok there but getting choppy at delta and into Stump bay - tried harling was difficult as a bit windy/choppy, tried cobras and fly no bites.  Looked at jigging a lot of drift due to wind/chop - saw fish on new fish finder at 5-10m down in stump bay, but did not even try with sea anchor - 3 boats jigging out from delta went past nothing on my fish finder and no action that I could see, one boat anchored at delta mouth.
Forecast good for next Sunday so will try again hopefully.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 12:10pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That North east wind no good up that end of the Lake - suppose you could try down Kinloch end if it keeps up all week. Bit of a hike but my buddy , Barry catches lots jigging there - deep 50-60m plus.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cheeko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 12:37pm
Cheeko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I fly fished the Delta just over a week ago. Wading with a mate and just casting smelts on intermediates or sink tips. We got about 45 in 3 hours but most were slabs, kept a few ok fish and a couple nice chunky fullas. TONNEs of slabs around at the moment after last years big runs. I emailed a chap whom works at Doc and asked if they are considering raising the limit to reduce the numbers. He said they are working on a process where by anglers can submit on issues more readily which can then form part of the fishery - or something along those lines Smile

The fish we did keep had smelt in them so hopefully there will be some nice fish come through in winter again!

Good luck!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 12:44pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Cheeko - yes you are onto it regarding the need to increase numbers limit. Too many fish and possibly not enough food?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cheeko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 5:00pm
Cheeko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I agree Redfinger

Last year was brilliant as there was good numbers of smelt and less fish following a relatively quiet 2014 run - the outcome lots of good conditioned fish and in some cases some real big browns and the odd bo in 2015. This year following the massive runs of last year too many mouths and not enough food. I actually knocked about half a dozen shocking slabs on the head throughout the course of the week that would have no chance of recovering. I fished the river quite a bit during the week and their was fry everywhere and even the browns  I caught in the river were long and thin. This years 6lbrs were last years  8+ type of thing. Will no doubt still be some good fish come through but I think a limit of 5-6 wouldn't hurt.  Angler numbers are less nowadays than in the hey day when the limit was reduced from 8 and most visiting anglers practice c n r so I don't think there would be a problem with over harvesting! Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 9:47pm
Titanium
Titanium

Redfinger came down today Monday 10am and we went over to Lake Taupo - jigged at Motuoapa Bay in the afternoon must have hooked 15 fish but only 3 keepers - fairly small average weight - I had 3 fish on 3 hooks on one cast, thought it was a good one but all 3 under size.  Was a bit windy at one point but died down, Then we went over to Tokaanu and fished Tongariro Delta late afternoon for a few hrs  - saw fish jumping 20-40M away quite a few times but no bites - really flattened off beautiful calm conditions and stunning scenery.  Tried jigging a few spots on way back to Tokaanu but very quiet.  Coming back Tues morning for another session before Russell heads back to Akld - more to come!  Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 4:17pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This morning were out early fly fishing at Delta - manged two on a bug and booby but again fish were not great size or condition. We jigged over near Pukawa and managed another 3 but all on the  small side. Had to be on the way home at 10am so just a short trip.
Pleased I managed to Blood my new Composite developments xls 8 weight 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 6:16pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Redfinger Redfinger wrote:

This morning were out early fly fishing at Delta - manged two on a bug and booby but again fish were not great size or condition. We jigged over near Pukawa and managed another 3 but all on the  small side. Had to be on the way home at 10am so just a short trip.
Pleased I managed to Blood my new Composite developments xls 8 weight 
Enjoyed getting out and being shown the ropes Russell.  As always Taupo was beautiful and weather was kind, good to get out with you - that delta is amazing with fish jumping around boat.
Re leak at transom bolts all 6 bolts were loose - I had some paint work repaired in Nov and I think painter left them loose - good spotting - thought it was vibrating more than it used to!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 7:27pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No worries John - sure was a lot of fish moving around the Delta.
Easy fix re the leak - well done and thanks again for your hospitality.
Might give the fish a few months to feed up there and regain some condition and size!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rambo122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 8:04pm
rambo122 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey guys, just foind this thread. I fish alot over summer jigging in the oreti timeshares. Ive been there in a yellow kayak but this year i purchased a 13ft marksply boat.  I now have just bought a 16.5 cabin boat.
Any way over the week in late jane i landed over 50 trout all jigging, most were rleased properly and we also ate alot.
i went over to stump bay and kuratua cliffs catching fish everywhere, was almost to easy. 
went up the last two weekends and jigged and not a single fish in all mh little hot spots. have they moved elsewhere?
also trolled and caught one small one.
also is the delta just to the right as u come out of the tokkannu poles
cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 8:34pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi rambo
My last trip to Taupo was a couple of months ago- jigging was successful but the fish were not great in size or condition. Out of nearly 20 fish only a couple were any good.

What were size and condition of your fish this season? 
As lake cools the Thermocline (layer of warm/cold water mix) weakens and dissapears  -From about now the fish tend to move a litte shallower , a good proportion will gather near stream/river mouths feeding up before spawning runs.
I would think you would still catch trout now jigging but maybe look for drop offs, smelt schools a little shallower than summer. A good fish finder is a must of course,

We are getting some real good conditioned fish from the rotorua lakes now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rambo122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 8:39pm
rambo122 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi red finger.
My best was 65cm and fst, but i released it for some reason as it was the biggest trout i had caught. id say 10 were real good nick then the rest around the 42cm and not that fat and also a fair number of undersized ones.  
Funny thing is i was cstching heaps in 20m of water in the summer.
I will head up again in the next couple of weeks, and see how i go.
i jigged last weekend 20-65m and noting at all . Good fun tho.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rambo122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 8:47pm
rambo122 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rambo122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 8:48pm
rambo122 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

woops couldnt delete the snapper ones lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:01pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha - what part of the lake were the snapper caught?

Remember a year or two ago some really good fish caught jigging in the Tokaanu hole right into  June/July at least. My buddy got a brown 3.5kg there at that time.

If you can get a fly rod sorted with super fast sinking line the Tongariro delta is very good - my favourite location in the whole lake. The current mouth is around towards stump bay flowing towards Taupo. Glo bugs , boobies or smelt flies will catch fish here.

How often you get fishing at Taupo?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rambo122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:08pm
rambo122 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

is the tokaanu hole as u leave the tokkanu ramp poles?
i went over there in the weekend, i went to the waihi water fall then acroos the lake where there was a stream , two boat jigging to the right of it, close to tokaanu.
Me and a fly rod dont work together lol tried it last year.
I go up a bit over summer, but will look at atleast 1 a month id say. never found any freshwater forums that fish where i do until now. 
new fish finder is next to buy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:17pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes the drop off to the hole is just past the last marker - good flyfishing spot too.
Harling is trolling targeting fish  in 2-5m of water - better now when water is cooler early and late in day. Stump bay awesome for this.
While you are using your new sounder looking for fish to jig on you could troll 6 - 10 colours of lead line - working the 10-16m depth range depending on boat speed. Quite productive in winter.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rambo122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:34pm
rambo122 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

to me harling is with the normal lead line 2-3 colours out with trace with a cobra tied on and fishing the bays at around 30-60 m deep, we have never done any good at it lol .
so do that but find shallow water?  is it around 5-10 in stump bay
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rambo122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:36pm
rambo122 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

father inlaw caught this in sept last year trolling with 10ish colours out in the delta/stumpbay
was over 10 pound

Page  <1234>