Toheroa, A protected species, yeah right...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toheroa, A protected species, yeah right...
    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 12:35pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Quite sad really that a species protected for a couple generations has not recovered. This is a good read, but hard to understand why this fishery and many others are protected or limited on one hand and open to abuse on the other. When is enough, enough?

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 3:15pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh no not this again....
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 11:42pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Illegal harvesting is common "

Gee, who woulda thought so...
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 9:21am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If non-Maori did this, it would have been closed down long ago.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote corosanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 11:58am
corosanta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

As long as we have different laws for different cultures, this problem will always exist.
Sitndrinkntalknbullman
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 5:49pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by corosanta corosanta wrote:

Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

As long as we have different laws for different cultures, this problem will always exist.
No you are quite within your rights to seek a permit
 as "fishfeeder" said **** it here we go again,so I am out. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 6:16pm
Titanium
Titanium

No point.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 6:56pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Racism clear and simple.

On another note have any of you eaten toheroa.

I have on two occasions.

Once in a restaurant in a toheroa chowder many decades ago.
They were fabulous.

Do hope they recover.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 7:10pm
Titanium
Titanium

Again,no point
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 7:36pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep as a kid most of the west coast around Auckland...had to find the patches thu.. would go up the beach with a few buckets.
Damn biggest 'tuatua' ever saw.. and a tuatua for the bucket back then 2 / 2 1/2" plus.
 And a few other feeds when the old man  and m8s came home from a kon tiki/ surf cast.
 I cant remember having any after intermediate school.

Last time had tua tua was the  Mangawhai heads late 60s.. The other day a local mature adult brought over some ...my jaw dropped.. not much bigger than a large thumb nail.. really?? A double handful, once shucked  didnt cover a slice of bread.
 He said that's the norm for his generation...

If tua tua are like that then they need protecting now as well..

Sry I could not  bring myself to pick something that small off a beach..
supermarket cockles are a disgrace to even harvest that size...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 8:09pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Yep as a kid most of the west coast around Auckland...had to find the patches thu.. would go up the beach with a few buckets.
Damn biggest 'tuatua' ever saw.. and a tuatua for the bucket back then 2 / 2 1/2" plus.
 And a few other feeds when the old man  and m8s came home from a kon tiki/ surf cast.
 I cant remember having any after intermediate school.

Last time had tua tua was the  Mangawhai heads late 60s.. The other day a local mature adult brought over some ...my jaw dropped.. not much bigger than a large thumb nail.. really?? A double handful, once shucked  didnt cover a slice of bread.
 He said that's the norm for his generation...

If tua tua are like that then they need protecting now as well..

Sry I could not  bring myself to pick something that small off a beach..
supermarket cockles are a disgrace to even harvest that size...

When we were kids we would head up Paraparumu way.
Gather Toheroa and Pipi.
Head back down, stop at Paramata and gather Cockles.
All were huge.
Have not had Toheroa in decades and the Pipi and Cockles gathered today are a shadow of their former glory.
Everything is in trouble.
I will not point fingers as you all know what is going on out there.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Got-ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 11:15pm
Got-ya View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Any one know if they were ever common or there at all on Kerotahi beach or up the Awhitu peninsula? Never found Tua tua there also. Thought it might be the black sand but Muriwai has black sand.  
THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF FISHERMAN, THOSE WHO FISH FOR SPORT AND THOSE THAT CATCH SOMETHING.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 9:46am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Any one know if they were ever common or there at all on Kerotahi beach or up the Awhitu peninsula?

Yes we used to go out to Karioitahi .. headed nth from memory..around the clift face at low tide..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 6:07pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 6:07pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 6:23pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah rem the tins and they tasted like crap..

Sort of like comparing  tinned spaghetti or mackel to the home cooked or fresh caught..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 6:30pm
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe like fishcakes......some fish but mostly "cake".....
Sadly that tin as is close as 99 % of our population will get to toheroa now and In the future....the other 1% will be laughing it up till they are just a fairytale.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 7:07pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can anyone tell me when the stocks were natural.
When they banned the take.

It seems to me that there must be a reason for there inability to recover over what seems quite some time.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 7:12pm
Titanium
Titanium

That's a loaded question given what's happening I'd say man. Over harvesting, driving on beaches where they were,no data on life span and reproduction habits,greedy local.....customary entitlement...to name a few reasons.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 7:21pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think the "customary take" by people with "customary permits" is probably just the tip of an iceberg, and that much more is being taken without any control at all. That's what happens when the law is so loose and fosters an attitude of uncortolled greed.