to spray or not to spray

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diversion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: to spray or not to spray
    Posted: 15 May 2003 at 11:11am
Diversion View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ok guys, answer this one.

do you spray your engine with crc/wd40 type products to ward off the dreaded corrosion?

iv'e read somewhere that you should not because the spray attracts dirt and eventually causes a short in the electrics etc,

and iff you do spray, what do you use?

your thoughts and comments

From the office of His Lordship

(Mayor of Whangapoua)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapatak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2003 at 11:22am
Snapatak View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Mate I have always sprayed my out boards with a thin oil, I would take the risk in using oil as crossion is more likley to corse trouble.

At the moment I use CRC, but there are alsorts of products on the market, it depends on how much you want to spend and how fussy you are.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2003 at 11:25am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Not being an outboard mechanic ... but I am/was a sparky... I would say that it depends on whether you want your engine to stop from dirt build up or corrosion. I would go the CRC way with an annual clean up with a rag. When copper turns green it doesnt conduct so well. You dont want to needlessly unplug connections as the 'spring' pressure of the contacts weaken but I spray them once every year or so. I think there is probably a water resisting conductive paste out there just made for the job ... just for the electrical connections that is .... anyone know of one?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2003 at 12:16pm
Cookie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

diversion
Its inox for me all the way, it isnt kerosine based meaning it dosent dry out. I also use it to spray my rods and reels, check out the link

http://www.inox-mx3.com/home.htm

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2003 at 1:50pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

for me its WD40 all the motors (all 4) i have owed got the same treatment, every three mths i would waste a can on it, all my motors did over a 1000hrs and no trouble with corrosion..........

Cheers Lethal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diversion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2003 at 3:00pm
Diversion View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

thanks guys,

thats good enuff fer me! a spraying i will go!

cheers

From the office of His Lordship

(Mayor of Whangapoua)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2003 at 6:37pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Diversion,

I'm of the same opinion as all of the guys above, I use CRC marine grade, you can buty it in bulk fairly cheaply at Repco, they have a 4 litre pack with a separate half liter spray bottle sold as a special together at $35. Beats the $12 spray cans by about three years !!

Cheers

AC

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NUDGER 52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2003 at 10:51pm
NUDGER 52 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Don`t spray round the starter, esp. the top as the drive unit on the pinion will eventually start slipping.

Nudge

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2003 at 11:31am
Dio View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ray

A good bit of info ray for Johnson 90 degree block owners unfotunately i found out to late about spraying the top of the drive unit on the pinion it has a clutch in there and it started sliping. You think your battery is dying.I had to pull start it in a rough sea.So beware guy's.

Dio

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2003 at 4:27pm
tricky View Drop Down
New User
New User

I am also a johnson 90hp owner,and I had problems with INOX as the plug caps had swollen and kept popping off the plugs,I secured them back with electrical ties, and went back to 4litre container of wd 40

no probs