Thoughts on the ol' Kilwell Jelly Tip

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Maydogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on the ol' Kilwell Jelly Tip
    Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 9:27am
Maydogg View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Morning All Tongue
Just looking at getting a new 8-10 or 10-15kg snapper/strayline set. Have a 6-8k with a 3500 baitrunner, but want a slightly heavier unit for bigger fish. Something you could comfortably chuck half a skippy head out the back of your berley trail on.

So, was thinking about a 10-15kg Jelly Tip. I have fond memories of seeing them in fishing videos of old but wanted to know if they are actually any good?

One more thing - would I be fine with chucking a popper or two around with a 10-15kg and a decent real e.g. saragosa etc. Would use something a 6500b baitrunner for straylining...

Any thought would be great Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 9:29am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I chuck poppers around on my 10-15kg Jelly Tip with Baitrunner 8000D. I really like it and it's cheap (can't afford anything more flash). I don't know much about popper rods, but a mate with a bit more knowledge reckons it's perfect for the task.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 9:41am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The jelly-tips are still a really good rod, really good componentry, long enough for straylining or poppering, maybe less so for stickbaits, but for the money, I doubt you'll find a better rod, certainly not an NZ-made one anyhow.
I used a 10-15kg texalium for poppering in the tropics for a couple of years, and that is just basically a blinged-up jellytip. No issues  with it at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 9:46am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry, I should have said 'stickbaits' not 'poppers'. Find it casts really well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 10:22am
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have been casually looking at one of these to come up for stickbaiting and a bit of straylining
But was under the impression that the hard chrome guides get eaten by Braid
Plus the one piece ness of them dissuades me as I want to be able to wander around and about with them

So am I right or mistaken re braid vs Guides??

"You don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart, but you have to be stupid not to."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 10:23am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My Jelly Tip has ceramic guides
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 10:42am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have 2 of the originals that were made one black and the other jelly tip both 15-24k and I wont part with them, a dam fine rod, I dont like the new ones they just seem tinny so to speak but thats just me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AndreA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 10:51am
AndreA View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have one of the old school ones with the hard chrome guides 8-10kg overhead model,have never really used it,dont think it has even had a fish on it,i have it matched with a TLD15 its a great set,think i have to many rods & reels but can never part with any of them i have TAS bad!!!!
f*#k it all & f*#king no regrets
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 10:58am
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

I have 2 of the originals that were made one black and the other jelly tip both 15-24k and I wont part with them, a dam fine rod, I dont like the new ones they just seem tinny so to speak but thats just me.

Yep . I hear that
T'other reason to have not purchased was to hold out ibn hopes of a 15-24kg model or the Rocky which I believe is 2 piece 8'6"

Do the Hard chrome and or Ceramic guides stand up to braid?

"You don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart, but you have to be stupid not to."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 10:59am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Uglystix black tiger worth a look at, 2 piece ans strong as.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 11:01am
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got 3 of em, 2 for boat and 1 LBG. All chrome guides, never had an issue really apart from my son twisting a guide in the doorAngry. Wont part with them either, great rods IMHO.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 11:10am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

tell you what mate if you get hold of Kilwell and ask them for all the components and the blank I will look at building you one up, I would enjoy the challenge and I would be happy to do it for the cost of the materials, your call.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 11:24am
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

tell you what mate if you get hold of Kilwell and ask them for all the components and the blank I will look at building you one up, I would enjoy the challenge and I would be happy to do it for the cost of the materials, your call.

Well Mr Asparagus I shall indeed consider that kind offer, I do have another option lined up as a prebuilt and if that falls through I will talk to you further.... I have seen your growing interest and read your posts expressing that in the rod building section and admire the enthusiasm you show. I would do the same with the stickbaits I am learning to make however being the owner of several thumbs and toes instead of fingers I am somewhat reticent to display my attemptsLOL

Appreciate the offer Steve

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 11:55am
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I Heart my jellytip + sl30sh. generally LBG strayline with it but going to try poppers and sticks with it this year as well.
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Maydogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 3:35pm
Maydogg View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Woah - seemes I have sparked a bit of a discussion here Wink
So Are the new versions not as good as the older models? i was wanting to buy a brand new one. Second hand ones seem to be few and far between. Certainly not common on trademe anyway.

Sounds like they are still a good rod!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 5:04pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have owned the 6-8 kg(sold it)very nice,10-15kg ideal do everything rod(gave it to a mate),have a 15-24kg and two kilwell pink panthers(the original rocky/18 years old now).Rocky 2 are one piece.
The 10-15 kg had a fuji reel seat and fuji guides.The guides on the 15-24 and pink panthers were reasonable but not so great.
I changed the guides on both my pink panthers to fuji alconites and did the same with the 15-24kg after many years use...a bit of expense but well worth it....if you can find them with fuji components all the better....The 15-24 bends over nicely but i always wish the foregrip was a little longer but hey.....that action suits braid.
They changed from pink to orange tips(as long as you are in touch with your sexuality,they look better in pink i reckonLOL)
Still own the 15-24 and the pink panthers...I originally bought from triple your catch(now top catch)...took to show chris(boss there) recently and it brought a smile to his face.
His words=KIWI QUALITY AWink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote willis likes to Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 10:31pm
willis likes to Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ive had 3 jellytips 2 x 10-15kg spin and a 15-24k LBG .. only got 2 left droped 1 over board.. they are the ****. Ive caught a **** load a big snapper on them and never been let dwn.they go with me everywere here in the naki they can handle a beating, guna buy another 1 for sure.. 

Star
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 12:06am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My mate bought a lime tip rocky recently.Awesome and two piece....my only gripe is they should have made the Rocky II a two piece join at the grip by now.....dont have any rod tube to transport it.At 8 foot 3 its a bit of a prik.Confused
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.