Theres gold in them hills

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tugboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Theres gold in them hills
    Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 10:09pm
tugboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Decided to put up a post of my trip i did today and will add a few more over the next few months good or bad!!
Drove up to puketui rd by myself today after all me mates bailed because of the weather forcast, softies!!
Puketui rd is for those that dont know is off the kopu hikuai highway 25A coromandel and is a large area of doc owned native forest, one of a few in coromandel that you can hunt this time of year..
Ive never been up in this area before and had only veiwed it from google earth in which i planned my access in, overlaying doc hunting boundry maps and topo maps and punching in GPS marks and adding them to my trusty old garmin 12 giving me a clearer picture on where to head.
On arriving it became quite clear that the bush was alot thicker and steeper than google shows and that the firebreak i was gona follow up for 5k was actually a riverLOL i think the google shot was taken in a draught in the peak of summer and since has'nt been updated, not to mention the hundreds of no shooting signs from the private land owners plasted everywhere making access alot more difficult !!
Plan B, follow the recreational trail up which starts at the car park!!
First hurdle about 50mtrs from the carpark was the swollen river or "firebreak" i had to cross to start the track, as some of you will know im quite partial to fallen in the drink, gps top pocket, rifle on shoulder, backpack loaded, slippery rocks, knee deep swift moving water, MADE IT LIKE A PRO BROOO!!!!Stern Smile
Up the other side and on up the hill, wind in me face, looked good, lots of game trails, quite a bit of sign, rooting but maybe a couple days old i reckon, tryed following a few trails but my garmin keeped losing signal in heavier bush cover, gota replace this, anyone recommend one??
No animals seen or shot but it was a great walk good to get out there and some great country, would have like to stay out overnight as i reckon some of them animals would make there way back through them trails at some stage, just a waiting game..
Even if your not a hunter but like hiking this wicked place for a walk...
Theres alot of mining history in the area, mine shafts etc and i found the ground underfoot quite good to move through considering the amount of rain thats just hit the area, its a quarts base and plenty of grip, if i was in the waitakeres this time of year id be swimming home and covered in mud!!

mine shaft, one of these is 500mtrs long

Ran into this mad hillbilly, not quite right that fulla!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:26am
Tinfish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice report. Better luck next time.The more time you spend there the more likely you are to cross paths with an animal. I just got the new Garmin 62S - tried it over the weekend in wet bush and it was still picking up a good signal. They only arrived 2 weeks ago but look like they will be a big step up on the older models.
Stand up to be seen, speak up to be heard. BUT shut up to be appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 10:06am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

get yourself some hi-vis gear cuz......Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:30pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Sounds like a bit of fun, if you soft mates ever pull out again give me a bell, I'm always keen for a walk with the hope of a feed.