The statin scam/Eggs debunked.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The statin scam/Eggs debunked.
    Posted: 25 May 2019 at 5:06pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

(dont eat fried eggs ! ruins them and oxidizes the cholesterol/boiled/poached etc there is stuff in the yolk that combats te cholesterol...unless you fry it....dont eat whites only......eat the whole thing.....an EGG is a superfood)...
There is no proof that statins reduce heart attacks....in fact they deplete the body of Q10 which is needed by the body.to protect and strengthen  the heart.

MD's view=

The dust has finally settled. People around the U.S. are enjoying eggs in their diets again. Everyone is happy.

Or so I thought.

Then BOOM! The hammer came down.

A study published in the March, 2019 issue of JAMAstirred things up and, yet again, tells us that eggs are one of our worst enemies.

Suddenly my patients are pulling out their phones to show me one of the many news stories written about the study. These articles basically claim that the new study shows eggs are linked to a higher risk of heart disease, cholesterol and early death.

Well, that’s just a bunch of bull.

If you don’t believe me, let me ask you one very important question.

Do you still eat exactly the same foods you did 17 years ago… 25 years ago… or 30 years ago?

If the answer is “no”, then you’ve already proven my point.

You see, the study in question bases its entire analysis on one-time food frequency questionnaires collected between 1985 and 2016. So the oldest questionnaires, completed at the time of enrollment, were completed more than 30 years ago.

It was a one time snap shot – never to be re-evaluated again!

Who the heck knows what these folks ate over the following years? Not the study authors, that’s for sure.

One of the co-authors actually points out this concern, stating: “"We have one snapshot of what their eating pattern looked like… people may have changed their diet, and we can't account for that.” The study itself also notes that the “findings are observational and cannot establish causality.”

Still, after an average of 17.5 years follow-up, the authors concluded that eggs were “significantly associated with higher risk of incident CVD and all-cause mortality in a dose-response manner.”

This is not science at its best. In fact, it may not have an ounce of scientific evidence behind it. After all, I don’t eat anything like I did 10 years ago, let alone 30. I’ll bet you don’t, either.

Additionally, I have to point out that at least one of the study authors receives support and fees from makers of cholesterol lowering drugs – like AstraZeneca (crestor), Merck (zocor), Amgen (repatha) and Novartis (lescol).

So there is plenty to gain by keeping the cholesterol scare alive.

In the meantime, I’ll share an observation with you that has become exceedingly obvious to me over the years.

A lot of people who eat eggs are much more interested in the bacon, sausage, ham and cheese that accompany them. In fact, these processed meats are often the focal point of the meal. (This easily explains the popularity of foods like sausage biscuits, ham stuffed English muffins and bacon croissants.)

Yet, this is an observation that many egg studies fail to take into consideration. And when researchers reject the idea of accounting for all dietary factors, it can skew results dramatically.

This being said, there is just too much data missing from the JAMA study to make any correlation between egg intake, cholesterol, cardiovascular disease and death.

More importantly, in recent years there is plenty of solid evidence that shows an entirely different story.

The Healthy Side of Eggs

Let me be very clear on this.                                     

There is absolutely no scientific proof that eating eggs increase blood levels of LDL cholesterol. There is also nothing that links eating eggs to a greater risk of stroke or heart disease.

In fact, more and more data is showing that people who eat an egg each day actually have a lower risk of stroke and heart problems.

And the truth is, eggs essentially have a positive effect on your LDL cholesterol rather than a negative impact. It turns out that eating eggs increases the particle size of low density lipoproteins.

This is a good thing, because small dense LDL particles tend to slip into your arteries and create blockages. This means large, bouncy LDL particles is preferable… and a huge advantage to your cardiovascular health

Eggs are also great for your mood, brain function and eye health.

But keep this in mind. There are healthy ways to eat eggs. Ones that don’t include a pack of bacon or slab of ham.

You can go for an egg scramble, omelet or frittata with spinach, peppers, onions and other veggies.

I like to keep my eggs intact (not breaking the yellows) to keep the cholesterol in the eggs from oxidizing. Simple ways to keep them intact include preparing them over easy, over well, poached or hard boiled. Then enjoy them with a side of fruit.

I personally prefer pastured eggs. They are, by far, the healthiest eggs you’ll find today.

To your good health,

Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 6:34pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That was scary reading. So scary I thought F... that - I'm never gonna read again.
Beer: the most important meal of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 7:42pm
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Love my poached eggs on toast and always will.... :)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 7:49pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I'm with you smelliBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 7:55pm
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

I'm with you smelliBig smile

Cheers, and in fact same goes for scrambled, fried, boiled and however else you can cook them.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 10:21am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Abuse any food and you will get in trouble.
 a couple eggs once a week..
 A little salt every now and then.
 Dont over do fresh  fruit (juice), oranges, high sugar types
 Dont live on steak...or just potatoes.
Sugar chocolates are a treat at Christmas / Easter, not every evening
 Old fashioned fish in chips  maybe once a month.
Dont eat (limit) lot flour.. bread , noodles, pastery, pasta

Bottom line be it bacon eggs, fruit juice be sensible.
If you read everything everything will kill you and you will starve to death instead.

We belong to a very privileged and elite group of less than 10% of the worlds population that has a choice how much and of what to eat each day.
 Treat it as a privileged to enjoy..
Abuse it and it will kill you.

It is no different to driving, boating, skydiving, hunting etc

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 11:03am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Funny how those over 80,went through a world war,suffered through a depression ate drippen,cooked in drippen smoked etc did everything we are warned against lived healthier life except those who during ww1/.ww2 suffered gas attacks seemed to be more healthy. The key is moderation and non processed foods.
We have higher rates of cancer/heart disease. Yet the French smoke drink wine for lunch along with the italians/greeks do not suffer from such illnesses or not reported on the scale we see in NZ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 8:36pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Most of the guys who went thru the WW1 died in their late 60s to early 70s. The women mid to late 70s.
Also keep in mind the Sat's do not include thos who don't reach 45..
Thoseveho where WWW2 and their children, not only went thru the stuff you mention.. Thru in DDT. Lead paint, pewter toys to chew on, smoking, exposure to alsorts of stuff are getting up into their 80s/90s nps
A little help from by passes helps those number greatly
So technology.
It basically the last generation that ate/drunk the carbs, not the sugars and didn't live on phones and couches.
Things like over weight diabetes where not the norm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 9:10pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Speaking from personal experience (read on) and advice from a top cardiologist, it's fairly clear that 'environmental' factors - diet, lifestyle etc - make a difference, particularly at the extreme end of the spectrum.
So the avoid processed meats, avoid fat, reduce sugar etc advice above is all very sound.

But it's just as important to understand the impact of genetics on the body's ability to process fats.

Everyone's arteries narrow to some degree over time, but some people's clog up faster than others due to their genetics.

i can also attest that simple 'bad' cholesterol readings etc aren't an overly accurate predictor of pending trouble. It's very important to know your family history of heart disease and let your GP know, and important (if your cholesterol isn't very high) to ask them to tell you your ratio of 'good' to 'bad' cholesterol, and what your blood tests say about the level of fat in your liver.

I inherited the faster clogging gene and ended up in the cardiac unit at Middlemore at age 45 - having two stents put in significant arteries - despite being someone who has never smoked, drinks little alcohol, ran/exercised regularly, had a fairly normal NZ male diet, and wasn't overweight.

It's pretty sobering to be in the cardiac unit at that age, I can tell you. And afterwards, hard to reconcile my situation with all the overweight people, smokers, drinkers etc I see all the time. Why me??

There are warning signs to look for during hard out exercise (breathlessness, tightening in your chest etc) and something like a treadmill test will provide some answers if you are concerned.
My advice is to not treat any issues lightly, and speak up if you aren't entirely happy with how you feel.
I had gone from running like a spring lamb at the start of that year, to feeling like crap when I went out on runs in October - and i didn't dream it was heart disease that had reached a tipping point. Thankfully my GP was on to it when I finally went to see him. One blood test later, and it turned out I'd had a heart attack - probably when on a run the day before (not the Hollywood type, but enough to show up in the blood test).

After i recovered, i realised how I had been literally running on 2-3 cylinders with the clogged arteries. 5 1/2 years on, I get regular checks and medication means I should live a pretty good life. Still need to be around to catch my 20lb snapper!!

But guys, try to look after yourselves diet and lifestyle wise, and don't stay quiet about anything strange you experience to do with your health.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 9:56pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dr Ken Berry has plenty of information regarding statins ,cholesterol etc on youtube ,facebook,etc. He is also a strong advocate of Ketogenic lifestyle. 

He also covers hydrogenated oils that are found in almost everything processed and widely used for cooking.
We were once told they were the health essential. 
Now the opposite seems the case and are strongly linked to heath & heart  problems.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 8:52am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Speaking from personal experience (read on) and advice from a top cardiologist, it's fairly clear that 'environmental' factors - diet, lifestyle etc - make a difference, particularly at the extreme end of the spectrum....
...ended up in the cardiac unit at Middlemore at age 45 - having two stents put in significant arteries - despite being someone who has never smoked, drinks little alcohol, ran/exercised regularly, had a fairly normal NZ male diet, and wasn't overweight.
Im was reasonably fit, dont get sick, weight in around 81kg .. only couple kg over ideal, ate well, cholesterol ratios a little high, nothing exceptional, blood pressure normal
 Totally agree with you.. Im sitting here around 6/7 weeks out from full on open heart surgery.. intent was to go in have a couple stents, go home. 
and something like a treadmill test will provide some answers if you are concerned.
 My tread mill test only just got to speed 3, and pulled me off because of readings, and recovery readings confirmed..

Later went to have a couple stents put in..
They admitted me, locked the doors to the ward for near 2 weeks as the risk to the widow maker artery on the heart was estimated at 0.3% survival rate for the last 12 months.. should have been dead..If something went wrong I would be dead before hitting the floor... and beyond any recovery before the driver got to the ambulance door.
2 days before was over the bar and also the week before..
 The only reason I survived the previous 12 plus months was rather than push thru (which is my usual attitude) was a slight pain, stop swimming back to the boat or stop mowing lawns, check face arms, wait to go fully way then carry on.
 Which was my Doctors advice till got further assessed when finally consulting him a yr on from 1st obvious symptoms.

After i recovered, i realised how I had been literally running on 2-3 cylinders (out of 8)

Something of note, and including several members from here, also noted, my appearance the 12 /18 months before the op and after, even days after still in Ward 42 Auckland Hospital, the improvement in colour etc was dramatic. 

I have had a long term.. decades .. aversion to drugs including pain killers, antibiotics etc.
 What I do know since the open heart, is dont miss taking them, you will feel it be pain or what ever the next day or so.. Do what the bloody doctors say..
 Only thing diff.. they said drive in 4 weeks.. thats BS.. Im recovering well above the norm and only just got drivers licence back.. ok to drive 50 km or so, then home, a trip nah, end up stained and sore next day.

Excellent post TTK

PS the Middlemore heart ward may have opened your eyes.. shame you didnt get to Ward 42 in Auckland where the open heart recovery is.. your eyes may have dropped outWink

Anyone note the ironary of the "Ward 42" name?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:57am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very glad you got treated before anything bad happened, Steps - ttake it easy, that's a full on operation. What would laypeople people do to get their boat weights and motor and prop sizes if you were lost to the forum!! Tongue

I am considering having an elective angiogram in another five years - just pay for it myself rather than wait in a public queue - for peace of mind. I'm sure the doctors would think it's not required, but you just don't know what's going on with your arteries unless you have one. Your experience would back that up.

I was just sorting out going on a waiting list for an angiogram after my poor treadmill results, but when the blood test came back saying I'd had a heart attack, I obviously jumped the queue - was straight into Middlemore and had the angiogram the next day.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 3:39pm
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

“The Ultimate Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything is...42!”

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 4:08pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Abuse any food and you will get in trouble.

Dont live on steak...or just potatoes.

ShockedShockedShocked
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 4:19am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

.uck me.....That opened a can of worms didnt it?LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
But some very interesting stories from all of you !
sorry to hear about you lester.....get well and strong buddy.Wink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 1:18pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

2015. The USDA dietary guidelines committee report stated.

" Previously the dietary guidelines for Americans recommended that cholesterol intake be limited to no more than 300 mg/day. The 2015 guidelines will not bring forward this recommendation, because available evidence shows no appreciable relationship between consumption of dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol , consistent with the conclusions of the AHA/ACC report.  Cholesterol is not a nutrient of concern for over consumption"

NOT A NUTRIENT OF CONCERN FOR OVER CONSUMPTION.!!!

Has your doctor told you this yet.