The Softbait Hall of Fame

Page  <1 3637383940 42>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 9:44am
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Monk fish or star gazer, massive!
As a chef I can tell you they are great eating, very firm textured fish. One classic dish is to wrap the fillet in proscutto & roast until just cooked through. Yum!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 7:30pm
Monty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Should have swapped it for a case, to a home sick POM, yep they yummy. "Penquin" you listening, oh thats right your a kiwi now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capnnod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 9:33am
Capnnod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hugh  aged 12, 13.5lb snapper on a 5" gulp nuclear chicken on an overhead set up, berkley IM6 dropshot rod, abu inshore reel, 8lb fireline braid on a 5/8 nitro jig head in 30 metres.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GAZRAE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 1:11pm
GAZRAE View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

DATE  Labour weekend2010

ANGLER  Bryce age12

RIG  diawa regal/okuma xfactor rod,9lb braid,1/2 oz nitro jighead

DEPTH  20m

WEIGHT  16lb

LOCATION  near top of coromandel,gulf side.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 9:49pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Christmas Eve, 2010.

Nick, PJay Son (NJay???), on La Vista on the afternoon when we arrived at Russell from Westhaven (129nm, 7 knots, do the maths...).

Had a SB fish on the Middle Foul on the way in to our mooring.

2 x 65cm, consecutive casts, both on the same Gulp! 5" jerkshad Curried Chicken on 1/2oz 1/0 jighead, in 38m of water.

A couple more fish later (guests to feed on Christmas Day), our half-hour fishing finished and we moseyed on in.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 4:42pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

23 Dec 2010 Doubtless Bay  ..  Just in time for xmas for the BBQ lunch...

13.8 Pound on Shimano Ultegra 1000 reel , 6 pound braid and Starlo 3-5 kg rod..

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote marx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 6:54pm
marx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Caught just out of Ngunguru on 9th Jan in very unpleasant conditions

8.54kg on 8lb fireline

Thats a 10 inch chef knife

Science for the mind and Art for the soul.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Men In Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 7:00pm
Men In Black View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

That is one nice snapper there MarxClap in fact I would be happy with any of the ones you have thereWink
www.synit.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapazapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 7:54pm
snapazapa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice fish,well doneThumbs Up

Live life to the fullest...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 5:46pm
fishkiller View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

a few skippys i cought on a 3 inc soft bait fast retrived in front off them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HOTBODZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 8:08am
HOTBODZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Personal Best 26.02.11SmileSmile
16.5lb Snap caught off my jetski up Omaha way
1.5oz jig
7' New Penny
30 metres
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nepptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 5:02am
Nepptune View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thought you guys might enjoy this from the otherside of the pond...

My buddy Noweeds using my gear, Berkley Air 9ft and my Stella 6000 with PE 4 ( ok, not exactly light SB gear, but considering the grounds we were fishing, its about right ) in 26 metres of water over some nasty coral ledges...

2 OZ Nitro with a 7" Gulp Anchovy Jerkshad...

Good 10 minute tussel this and pushed the gear to the max keeping this critter out his hole...
The Battle...

And the Glory...
TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raumatibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 8:53am
Raumatibeach View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great photos there Nepptune, what sort of critter is that?Looks like some sort of spotted puka.

Also those Jigstar Africa field tester shirts are very cool, I bet you could sell a few truckloads of those.
Get off my lawn....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy Fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2011 at 2:49pm
Fishy Fingers View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Weight -16lbs

Location - Alderman Islands

Line weight 8kg fireline
katana setup.

1/2 oz white softbait not sure on type. Berkey brand.

Water depth 7 metres
Fresh kahawai that's where it's at!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nepptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2011 at 1:21am
Nepptune View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Raumatibeach Raumatibeach wrote:

Great photos there Nepptune, what sort of critter is that?Looks like some sort of spotted puka.

Also those Jigstar Africa field tester shirts are very cool, I bet you could sell a few truckloads of those.
Cheers RB...

Thats a Potato Bass, its a kind of Rockcod/Grouper we get on our east coast and right up the African Coastline on the east.... they are a protected species in SA waters due to the fact they were brought nearly to extinction by commercial fisherman and Spearos in the 80's, as they are typically aggressive and inquisitive, making for easy shots for spearos and commercials alike... kinda strange because they are one of the very few grouper species that taste like Shi!t!!!!

So since the intorduction of the ban, they ahve rebounded incredibly, especially in Southern Mozambique which is where we got this one.... they can be a bit of a nuisance as they are partial to stealing a hooked fish more often than not... pretty common to hook a small fish on SB, to have it suddenly grow into a monster 30 seconds into the fight...

we estimated this sucker at about 25 kilos, but they grow to nearly 100 kilos....

Awesome to dive with, as they get very tame very quickly... we had a resdinet one called Clive for years at Sodwana who was a major attraction as he was so tame, and huge, you could pet him, rub his tongue... feed him trigger fish ( pretty fun watching him inhale a whole trigger you just pulled out of a crevice from about 50cm away... ) until a few years ago some moron with a speargun and no brain decided to be a hero and shoot him.... guy arrived back on the beach thinking he was a hero to show off his monster fish and he nearly got lynched!!! They had to air lift the stupid bugger off the beach to avoid him getting the daylights knocked out of him...

Thats not a dig at Spearos as a note, alot of my buddies are fine spearos, and I have nothing but respect for spearing, and have spent my time under water with the "Metal Bait" but like everything, you have some idiots who spoil it for everyone else....

TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nagged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 7:24pm
Nagged View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Last week in Darwin, caught with one of the new Kilwell Nano ultra light blanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 7:56pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Caught at my new favorite spot Wink      

rod was a shimano mexican fire 2-4 kg 3 piece 

reel a shimano exage 2500 spooled with 8lb powerpro 

sb was a storm muddler (absolutely lethal!) 

bowt 3.8-4 lb

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 8:03pm
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

a Tuskfish 

caught at hervey bay in Oztralia 

in a shimano mexican fire 3 piece 2-4kg and a shimano exage 2500 with 8lb powerpro 

sb was a extremely small squidgy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 8:26pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

10.64kg (top one) and 11.5kg (underneath), in close at Bland Bay yesterday:

1/2oz Nitro jigheads on 1/0 hooks; gear Citica baitcaster on Catana 732 rod; Tufline el cheapo 10lb braid, 7-turn spider hitch to double, then Albright knot to 30lb Black Magic fluorocarbon leader.  5" Gulp! jerkshads, various colours, mainly BBQ Chicken.  Backup set a Rovex X-ct500 also on a 732 Catana, otherwise same set-up.

Both reels got dunked.  My good gear never goes yak fishing.

PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nagged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 6:12pm
Nagged View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Kilwell Nano BVC641-7 4kg cut down to 6ft
1.17mtr 60lb
1st prize for heaviest fish in the 2011 Aussie Barra Classic
Page  <1 3637383940 42>