The eyes have it?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The eyes have it?
    Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 10:11pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've mentioned in previous threads that I am a fan of eyes on my jigheads - no proof that they hook more fish than plain ones, but I have read or heard a few times that eyes are a trigger for predators, which makes sense. And I just like the look, particularly on baitfish imitations, or glow eyes on softbaits fished deep.

I came across these VMC versions on a US tackle site when I was buying some other stuff, and given the reputation of VMC hooks, thought I'd give them a try. Bought a couple of packets in 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz.

They look great - realistic paint effects and strong hooks in 3/0 or 4/0 I'd say (strangely, the hook size isn't on the packaging), and two sharp keepers for the Z Man or Bait Junkie bodies. 

The photo shows them fitted to 5" Z Man Paddlerz. I caught some nice kahawai on the 3/8 version with a 4" Paddlerz on the weekend, but obviously kahawai are not particularly discerning customers! 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 10:36pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Look good! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2024 at 2:45pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think the jig heads generally have a flat surface? If so you could fix your own eyes to them.
I buy eyes (various sizes) for the various gamefish lure heads I make.
Dunno if you have same in Akl - but I get them from Spotlight - a sort of craft/sewing/stiching shop.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2024 at 3:29pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Brought some powerbait last weekend.Anchovie looking with eyes.Never got touched. Only tail bitten off. but nuclear chicken got hammered.
"Times up"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2024 at 4:03pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Alan L - we have Spotlight stores here in Oz too Alan.  If you're into making stuff yourself there are quite a few things they sell that can be used for fishing, beads, tubing, prism tape etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2024 at 9:51pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

I think the jig heads generally have a flat surface? If so you could fix your own eyes to them.
I buy eyes (various sizes) for the various gamefish lure heads I make.
Dunno if you have same in Akl - but I get them from Spotlight - a sort of craft/sewing/stiching shop.
Alan

Hi Alan,
Good thinking. I've posted a few pics on here in the past of 'skutes' (flies tied on jigheads) that I made up. I used eyes from salt fly materials epoxied on to the heads for some durability. Worked well. I'm sure those from Spotlight would be a fraction of the price of stuff sold for fly tying, but from the same factory in China! I particularly like lumo eyes for fishing in depths of 15m or more, so I will go into Spotlight and have a look. With the Z Man or Daiwa softaits I used TT Lures or Z Man jigheads, and both have lumo eyed options. I was quite taken with the VMC ones, which also have baitfish tone paint jobs.
The piper imitations below have the end of a seagull feather epoxied on as 'beaks', with UV fly tying thread as the beak tip and some use of permanent markers to colour the top side of the beak. All that effort, and I've yet to find the right scenario to cast one for a kingie. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2024 at 10:26pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's impressive TTK, well done Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2024 at 6:09am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Now they look the goods! A bit of talent involved there. Can see the piper being deadly. Very fishy 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 1:09pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

By all accounts these do work.Good substitue if no bait or run out.Yet to be proved.Wife brought 3 packs as they were giving away a free flasher rig at the show.
"Times up"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 1:17pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

These powerbaits haven't convinced me.Have found tail gets bitten off and that's it
"Times up"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 1:40pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

By all accounts these do work.Good substitue if no bait or run out.Yet to be proved.Wife brought 3 packs as they were giving away a free flasher rig at the show.
Paul I have heard good reports on these baits, apparently they work really well cut into small strips and fished on sliders.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 2:36pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That was the plan for today Kerry.Have seen them at smartnarine and burnsco $16 a pack.Will give a try .no wait wife will.I have been told they're hers end of story I walked away at the show as thought another con job like dehydrated squid.Probaly still floating trying to rehydrate.
"Times up"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 4:02pm
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Get down to ya local Wharf / Jetty , and catch ya own bait . Honestly, what's up with all this plastic **** ?? Lazy??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 5:46pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good luck, I have tried them in the manukau, yet to ev3n get a bite on it
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 8:13pm
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've caught Gurnard and Trevally using fishbites.  But the bite isn't consistent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2024 at 7:44am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

good luck, I have tried them in the manukau, yet to ev3n get a bite on it
I have tried slider/kurubas? never caught a fish yet the person 3 ft away couldnt wrong

"Times up"