Technique for fighting kings in shallow fowl

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Technique for fighting kings in shallow fowl
    Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 4:17pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out Mangawhai yesterday. Trolled a small ky around for a good while without any joy, so started slowly trolling my way back and ofcourse I'm in some shallow foul area when a king engulfed it. Didn't take it's time trying to eat it, just smashed it in one. 

It was about 5m deep with plenty of bombies around. I started tightening up the drag (spin reel) and it kept pulling line, and I kept upping the drag, then it rubbed me off on a rock, snapping the braid. Testing the drag afterward and it was up pretty bloody hard. Must've been a good fish. 

The whole thing was over in about 45 seconds. Got absolutely smoked. 

I don't think I really had much of a chance, but of course you've got to wonder in hindsight if you could've done something differently. 

Maybe keep the drag a bit lighter and try to paddle after it with the rod in the holder, hoping it will head out deeper? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 9:09pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like no chance fella in that depth and terrain, your only hope is getting right over top of them as quickly as possible and then be prepared to be towed around on a short line. It sometimes works even  on soft baiting gear.
If towing livie anywhere near foul you want pe5 plus, and serious trace, suggest 3 mtrs  of 100 lb -120lb mono or fluorocarbon. 
I could say I think this, but seriously know this, caught hundreds of big kings in small boats mainly on livies but lost a few. Old saying with these fish don’t take a knife to a gunfight.
I think like I’m going to hook a 30kg every time I put a livie out (including bottom where I deploy one), as in  every time. Because occasionally that is what happens with mainly 20kg fish still putting us to test, but even 15kg one has ability to dust you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 9:24pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Probably luck has a bit to do with it

Last season, me & a mate kayak fished Meola, its both a kingi & snapper spot on the pt chev side of the reef
On small bait flies, think they were black magic tarakihi terror baited with squid, my mate hooked a king in 3m water, it went up a ledge twice (2m deep) then basically, the fish did 2 half circles & back tracked the same way twice, also did 2 side ways runs & reversed back over those same runs, all at speed towing the kayak... I'm sure you know how narley that reef is & after a good scrap he got it, weighed 17kg
The place is knee deep at low tide & that ledge is high & dry. The king was well hooked & took ages to get the little hook out... probably a very unlucky kingi
Its also a good snapper spot, have been busted off by snaps there a few times & they were not big snaps by any means
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 9:48pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is a great catch.
That shallow is probably less of  an issue with a king running down a 1 meter of ledge versus where they can run away down and along and around maybe 3 -4 meter ledge (as opposed to one meter deep one) where line can hopefully pop out up and come clear of foul.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 9:49pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

5m yeah I agree there is no stopping a King that's capable of engulfing a Kahawai.
I'm a little different than Shane. Trolling lures or baits when hooked up I tend to keep the drag tight but very steady IE no pump and wind. Drive off the reef area at a consistent speed (this will depend on how much line you have on the reel). So keep everything smooth and steady. The kingfish will (if you can keep them on the line long enough) start trying to pull opposite and away from you and not down into the reef. Keep an eye on how the line is leaving the spool and the line angle. it should slow down and you are now leading the fish away to safe ground. If all is going to plan and then suddenly the line starts leaving the spool in a mad rush up the drag as far as you dear because it is now realised what's going on and is making a mad dash back to the reef. This is what I do with light gear as well. Tend to loose most of them though as they are very dirty fighters. A good % straight away on the reef. A few after they get the idea that they are leaving the safety of the reef and I can't stop em and then there is the taxman. Don't kick yourself too much about it. Luck has a good deal to play with getting a good king on a reef. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 10:08pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kingaling is kayak fishing Doug,  you can’t lead a fish anywhere in kayak unless very ambidextrous, part octopus and can paddle as fast as Lisa Carrington. In a yak if put pressure on you actually end up over the top of them. Agree in boat in foul,  lead out firmly is the way to go.
Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

5m yeah I agree there is no stopping a King that's capable of engulfing a Kahawai.
I'm a little different than Shane. Trolling lures or baits when hooked up I tend to keep the drag tight but very steady IE no pump and wind. Drive off the reef area at a consistent speed (this will depend on how much line you have on the reel). So keep everything smooth and steady. The kingfish will (if you can keep them on the line long enough) start trying to pull opposite and away from you and not down into the reef. Keep an eye on how the line is leaving the spool and the line angle. it should slow down and you are now leading the fish away to safe ground. If all is going to plan and then suddenly the line starts leaving the spool in a mad rush up the drag as far as you dear because it is now realised what's going on and is making a mad dash back to the reef. This is what I do with light gear as well. Tend to loose most of them though as they are very dirty fighters. A good % straight away on the reef. A few after they get the idea that they are leaving the safety of the reef and I can't stop em and then there is the taxman. Don't kick yourself too much about it. Luck has a good deal to play with getting a good king on a reef. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 11:01pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Shame Muppet and Kingifidla aren’t around to give bit more guidance on this topic, both real good kingi fisherman from kayaks. 
Muppet used torium 20 and heavy braid on a jig rod from memory, deployed mainly yellowtail mackeral close to yak, and coined the term “slay ride”. He fished and hopefully still fishes some pretty foul ground north of Auckland I know well. Is most successful kayak fisho I know, especially kings and jds. Wasn’t  a bad gurnard fisherman either when he applied himself. Dan would on the right day give hardyaker and myself a run for our money off here for gurnard.  Well maybe that would be stretching it a bit, as we are are pretty amazing at gurnard.  Smile

Marlin season is hardly over … and colder it gets the more excited I get about another great season of the colder winter and early spring days of vintage kayak gurnard fishing, with my trusty 60 yr old Bakelite Alvey…. It’s now highlight of my fishing year, and those gurns are absolutely delicious.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 9:08am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Funny you mention Kingifidla, I was actually with him at the time! He was showing me a few spots up at Mangawhai. 

He had some good advice but I was interested to ask here as well. 

He said I didn't really have a chance there, but what has worked for him in the past is to keep the drag light, til he can get between the fish and the structure, so that it's instinct is to head away from it. 

And maybe in this situation I could've kept the drag somewhat light, so the line angle stays low and the kingy doesn't go to ground. But it's hard to say, especially with a bigger fish. They sure do fight dirty!