T-Bar handles

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scarpie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T-Bar handles
    Posted: 05 Oct 2002 at 5:22pm
scarpie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What do you guys think about T-Bar`handles for game reels?  I hear from a friend who has one and says they make a huge difference.  Handles are a bit pricey but anything from the USA is.  Would you pay $175 for a replacement power handle that had that offset angle?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Matt B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2002 at 7:47pm
Matt B View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not 100% sure what a 't-bar' handle is, but I know a few of the guys down wellington way that do a lot of deep water bottom bouncing for puka, bass and bluenose use handles that are like a yacht winch handle (in that the handle rotational plane is the same as the spool plane ie your palm faces down)  They reckon they are great.  Your wrist can get really sore after a day in the deep - so I reckon they would be great for game fishing too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBoffshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2002 at 8:34pm
JBoffshore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

On one of our game reels ( i think its an everol) or something like that it has a handel with finger grips molded in it (1 finger abouve the atachment rod and 3 below. very nice to use
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBoffshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2002 at 8:59pm
JBoffshore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

sorry I made a mistake the reel is actually a fin nor
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2002 at 8:24pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had some minor surgery on my right hand a few years ago and have a small scar. When I fish Penn Inters, the handle shape really plays on my scar and unless I wear a glove on my right hand I'm buggered for a couple of days. Shimanos and my own Duels have handles that don't cause any problems. Sounds like the horizontal handles are worth a look at but I would love to try the the T-Bars, they are set at a really natural angle. Sound a bit pricey though.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 3:25am
dustin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

in my experience the custom handles make the biggest difference on heavy tackle when greater cranking power is reqd.

for 50 and under whether they are worth the cost may be a question of individual preference

for 80 and over they do become worthwhile as they give a real improvement in cranking power w/ less effort but then you gota consider how often you're fishing this gear ... very desirable on a charterboat if the cash is available

using a light glove on your right hand on 50 and above is a good idea too as i've seen some nasty blisters after not so prolonged fights

cheers dustin