Tauranga-Taupo River Access

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:20am
Sako View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

"Used to be the old Wire pool'??
What's it like now?It used to be an upper pool by the measuring station. A set of rapids and another pool to the Windmill pool....

Yes, the Wire Pool of old no longer exists. Just a straight run right down to the Windmill. Three or four good spots with overhanging vegetation. No wire either but the measuring station is still there.

The Wire Pool was always an excellent wet fly pool after a fresh. Used to hold dozens of fish if not more. Fishing down the Ladies Mile one day about 18 years ago a young chap asked me what was a good place to fish as he was a newbie and had a touch all morning. I told him to try the Wire Pool, can't miss it because of the wire with all the flies etc hanging off it, says I. The river was up and a nice green colour so I gave him a lead eyed flame coloured muppet to try. About an hour later I see the same guy walking back down the river with this huge tail sticking out of his day pack. He pulled the fish out to show me and it must of been a good 10lb rainbow hen. Said he caught it on the first cast and then never got another touch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:47am
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My grand father used to only wetline when he was alive and only really fished the TT. Always caught fish, best one being a 10lb brown in the deep pool that used to be a couple of hundred metres upstream from the main road bridge. That fish is still on the wall
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 7:19am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

'Yes, the Wire Pool of old no longer exists. Just a straight run right down to the Windmill. Three or four good spots with overhanging vegetation. No wire either but the measuring station is still there.'

I used to have a few contacts at Waikato Regional Council and got a ride down to the Wire when tester used to re-calibrate the flow/depth gauge. I'd leave my car by the main road.
They used to string an array of flow meters across the river and it took about 2 hours to do the job.
The tech was a nice guy and used to watch the anglers and liked to net any fish but he was like a bull in a china shop and used to scare the fish and you'd lose it more than land it.
 I daresay, with much more advanced equipment, you don't need to use the wire, especially as they have a newer sensor near the main road bridge. The 2 flows will be nearly identical and all they need is a depth. It;s the depth that's important following a fresh and river crossings.
I had a couple of days staying at motel and one really frosty morning (-5) used the chart to cross at the Cliff, knowing it was crossable. River was cloudy so started my crossing but unknown to me a log had jammed into sand near the other side. I was already near the top of my waders then the depth suddenly got deeper and I was under water.
I got caught in current and had to bounce off the bottom to get air but managed to get to shallow water about 100 metres down stream.
Got to bank and was freezing cold. My new waders were goretex and had no thermal protection, just the fleece trousers inside, which were now soaking.
I stripped naked and squeezed as much water as I could out of my clothes then re-dressed and put waders on. Drank my whole flask of hot coffee to warm up. Decided to have a flick on what looked a good spot and got a few. Decided to head back to motel for a hot shower.
The walk warmed me up and the sun was strong so had another few casts and took jacket off and a wasp just landed on my arm and stung me. A few minutes later , playing a fish, I high-sticked my rod and broke the tip.
Hell of a day!
Moral - don't cross a high river in the dark

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sako Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 2:34pm
Sako View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good read fishb8. Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 1:59pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We did a few days at Kereru a couple of weeks ago. The river is low and clear and all the usual spots including , train station, Ladies mile & rangers were very average. 

There were some fish under some vegetation at the head of the wire pool, and some more in the lower third along the colour change line over by the far bank.

Our best fishing was the main channel directly below the cliff pool. There were spawners in the bypass as usual, but the better quantity and quality fish were in the main channel closer to the bank along about a 50-75 metre stretch. Quite unusual, we haven't found them there before.. 
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Page  <12