Tauranga Squid

Page  <12345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 3:07pm
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

that thing is huge mate is it a squid or a cuttlefish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 3:14pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thats a donkey kong. looks like broad squid to me Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote *stu* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 4:44pm
*stu* View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have caught a broad squid on softbait during the day the same as that but not as big.  Think it was off Motiti somewhere.  That is big.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Drew123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 3:09pm
Drew123 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Is anyone catching squid around the mount or pilots bay?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingySlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 8:52am
KingySlayer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thought i would put a post up here as a few seem to be looking around the TGA area for squid over past years. Anyway we had good success at the southern end of Motiti in 15 of water. got 2 from around 10 casts. Straight onto the fry pan for the starter.

www.assassinsportsfishing.com
www.facebook.com/assassinjigteam
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 9:09pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey guys, 

I'm pretty keen to try and score some squid in Tauranga and I think I'll have a go at bringing them in with a custom light of some sort. After I've finished making it, I'll test it out and let you know how I get on. If it does work, it'd be good to have organize a few squid sessions with fellow members. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 8:18am
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds Good Daniel, 

Had a try last Monday under the protection of the mount to keep out of the 20 knot winds. Took a giant spotlight hooked up to a heavy battery pack. Worked well in bringing round the piper and jack macs, but no sign of squid for us. They must be somewhere
TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 8:39pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Argh, I was going to try around the Mount as well. I've got myself one of those green underwater LED lights and I think I'll go around Sailsbury once it arrives and try around there again. When that light used to be there, it would go absolutely nuts. A lot better than down at Tamaki Drive or Mission Bay(in my experience). I remember when catching 4 or 5 every half hour at Sailsbury was the norm. Although, that was when you could catch Kingies, and John Dory every now and again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 5:45pm
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah we tried sailsbury wharf but was blowing 20 knots of 'fresh' wind. Had to take a bit of cover. I would love to have access to under the harbour wharf lights. There must be some Squid somewhere. 
TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 6:54pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah i think you're onto something. The rocks that surround the edges of the bridge stretch out quite a bit and are covered in a lot of weed. I think it's well worth a try there. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Squid brain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 5:21pm
Squid brain View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I would wait till the harbour dredging is done. Should be finished in a couple of weeks. Squids seem to like clear water. Ill be down there trying once it clears up a bit.

Off to Papa Aroha for a landbased sesh this weekend, shoul be some squid action there.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 7:48pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Will be giving it a crack this evening. Will report later with our results. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 7:52pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

..good luck Daniel, will be awaiting a positive report Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 1:44am
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well just got back. Started at 9pm. Used the new underwater green LED light and that worked superbly. Unfortunately, not a singe squid seen. We fished Pilot Wharf. Next spot to try will be Sailsbury then Leisure. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 8:51am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Perhaps try some berley in conjunction with the light?
Keep at it Daniel~~there must be one somewhere lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Failbait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 5:42am
Failbait View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tried it out couple of months ago around the mount, caught pretty decent sized one, been out bout 4 times after that with no luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 6:48pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well there are no squid in Tauranga that I can find. Lots of octopuses but nil on the squid front. I'm going to give it a couple of more tried then I think I'll call it quits. I have to say that the light that I got is the bees knees. Attracts every bloody critter in, except for the squid haha. I'm sure if I took it to some weed beds out of the harbour I'd have more luck. Will keep everyone posted. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 7:09pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Well, that just reinforces my findings Daniel.
I gave it my best shot about 5 years ago & came to the same conclusion, along with 2-3 other f.net members.
Maybe they don't like nitrogen or something/ whatever might be in the harbour, dunno.
But we did try pretty hard for a nil result.

Outside the harbour, no probs so there's got to be some sort of explanation.

Who knows?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 9:22pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i dont think they like the amount of current we get in our harbour and especially trying to get in or out the entrance.  Places like auckland etc where people are catching squid are more 'open' ocean so to speak without the crazy tidal flow we get around here.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 12:14am
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah I think a lot has changed. I still remember when you could catch them by the truck loads at Sailsbury. I'm going to keep trying to bring them in. 
Page  <12345>