tauranga fishing

Page  <1 409410411412413 414>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 10:17am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"when others take out kids or grandkids do you actually get to wind in a fish? I just drive the boat and pay the bills."

Thats what grandads are made for. Just takes a while (few decades) to get there.
Got the same coming up in a few days.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 10:58am
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I gave up trying to fish with kids years ago. If the bite is on you're busy helping them them, if it is quiet you have to keep them occupied. Same with wakeboarding, I am still waiting for my turn from last summer. Never mind--it is good to see others having fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2023 at 3:48pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Busy busy

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2023 at 8:32am
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Busy busy alright, there has been some good fishing weather leading up to xmas.

"when others take out kids or grandkids do you actually get to wind in a fish? I just drive the boat and pay the bills."

I had a good laugh when I read Couttas post as I've resigned myself to the role of deckhand when I take kids and grandkids out, I do get satisfaction when we have a good day out and they all catch fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 10:50am
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Grandson and I had a nice evening fish in the entrance last night, slow fishing but nice conditions. Came home with 5 snapper around 40cm, boat traffic died down about 6.30 on, there was a few boats heading out for an evening fish.
The fish were mostly skinny and somewhat milky flesh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 10:51am
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 10:51am
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2023 at 10:16am
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That looks a perfect snap! Looks to have been a great day out
Seems to be a few reports of milky snap up north - haven’t encountered any so far
Thanks for the pics and update
Cheers
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2023 at 10:45am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looking at the belly on that fish is a good indicator for milky flesh. It's a bit sunken in with no roundness to it. But still a nice fish for the young man.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 12:58pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good observation there Kitno, I'm always looking at the top of the fish.
Looks like some good fishing tomorrow onwards
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 11:29am
Silver
Silver

Hi all
Good feed of snapper from the mighty 12 footer on Tuesday but slow Wednesday
Good condition fish all around 50cm
Shallows and up the harbour too
Good luck all
Cheers
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwikoro. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 2:22pm
Kiwikoro. View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fished the harbour last night, caught fish on turn of the tide and first of the incoming until we caught an eel so called it a night after that ,few small rays to annoy us but 7 snaps,35cm -50cm and a surprise Gurnard ,a first for me in the harbour and I’ve fished it for over 50 years. Best baits were skippy and fresh Mack’s caught in the burly trail. Another good feed of fish for the family.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 9:22pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out this morning to around the 32m range in front of Mauao. Only got two snaps for around 31/2 hours of water time (around 45 and 55cm so at least they were good sizes). The water was clear, I could just make out the bigger fish at around 10m (change of braid colour).Talking to a guy at the ramp on a jetski, he had a boat cut in close behind him and catch his line. Result was a lot of lost line and a spooled reel with what what left. It's been awhile since I've had a mishap, hope I havn't just jinxed it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 7:45pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Grandson and I went out of Kaituna cut this morning, only bought home 5 fish but had a couple of good ones. When we were launching I talked to an older couple going out on a jetski and he mentioned getting some pannies last Friday in 7m to the right heading out the cut. So after getting some livies in front of cut we gave that area a try, pretty quiet but grandson got a 60cm snap so happy days.
We fished our way deeper using softbaits till we got to a spot in 25m where livebaiting is good and ended up with a good kingi 115cm long. My kingfish mojo has been pretty sad for a while so was very stoked.
The snapper we caught were in good condition, one still had roe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 7:46pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 7:48pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 5:43pm
Silver
Silver

Hi all
Great still morning but slow fish wise
At change of tide bite was on for about 30mins - shallows
Very warm water
Got a few good condition snaps
AND a bloody huge mullet (on a hook)
Cheers
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 6:25pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Even though I haven't fished the waters around Tauranga for a while, I thought I'd do a report on how Tauranga is fishing over the last month. Mid December has seen quite a drop off in the number of snapper coming in from outside the harbour. Probably averaging less than 2 per bin. Some big trevally have been getting caught and more gurnard than I would normally expect at this time of the year. Kingfish on the other hand seem to be plentiful with good solid fish being landed. As for the harbour, it's been going really well. Lots of healthy looking snapper with a decent average size. I suspect these harbour caught snapper have spawned early and are now feeding up and putting on condition.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 10:03pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

yeah kitno, I reckon your appraisal is about bang on..
Saturday morning, we did a "tour" of the outer harbour, 47kms, looking for tarakihi & snapper.
Tons of baby snapper that might have been takers a few years ago, 27~~31 cms..
I'm not prepared to take anything less than 32 on my measure, just to be sure..lol.

Was a cracker day out there & the highlight was a pod of dolphins came to visit.
The water at that point was glass & us moving at about 3 kts gave us a magic view of these mighty animals.
I'd swear they were eye-balling us.

Anyway, that was the highlight of the day, & just enough snapper for one meal ..
****!, I think I need re-programming 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 8:50am
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for report Kitno, it matches my fishing efforts for the last month, I havent fished upper harbour, only around entrance, so need to get some bait and berley and try the upper areas.
I think by February the snapper will spread out more
Page  <1 409410411412413 414>