tauranga fishing

Page  <1 389390391392393 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 8:25pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I was a bit snotted that I had a prior commitment  when I saw the conditions this morning.
Won't be all that good now 'till Saturday.
Good effort Greg.

What softbaits were the go for you? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 10:12pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheap day today Bill,used 2 gulps, a curried chicken crazy legs and new penny shad although probably any colour would have worked.
I did try a Zman darterz for a few casts, should have stuck with it, they worked for me along there recently, 3/8 jighead 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 12:38pm
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey everyone, got out early this morning with my son from Sulphur point, headed towards karewa in front on Matakana Island in 14 - 18mts..pretty slow going initially. Moved further out in 20mtrs, enough for a feed, snaps in the 40 to 50cm and a lonely carrot. Orange sliders came up trumps, with the wind picking up softies were difficult to work. Came back to half of Tauranga at the ramp and escaped home with no dramas 👍 hope everyone else got on well!
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 1:08pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished the harbour last night. 7 snapper, 2 trevally. Came home with 2 snapper. The rest got tagged.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 1:22pm
Silver
Silver

Fishing with bait kitno?
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 1:36pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good work,, sliders are great
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 1:39pm
Silver
Silver

When they're working sliders are almost unfair...almost 😁
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 4:46pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MrWildabeast MrWildabeast wrote:

Fishing with bait kitno?

Yes

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 5:16pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

True once you get the technique sorted,, I quite often don't take any bait as we have had such good results.

I've tried them at Rags a few times and they have caught some solid fish. Trouble is there are some large fish there and it gets expensive if you start losing gear  Cry
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 5:26pm
Silver
Silver

Sure does add up, loosing gear is never fun or cheap!
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 7:41pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

There is a substantial algae bloom down toward Karewa way plus the salps are making themselves known.
Softbaiting down that way this morning was tough, for me anyway, so I moved out deeper & nabbed a few tarakihi before the wind was too much for me & my wee tub.

& the ramp was busy, much like a normal Sat/Sunday.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 8:15pm
Silver
Silver

Hey uncle, I thought the wind got stronger quicker than forecast which was a bugger. Saw heaps of salps on the surface and on the sounder, snaps would be having a good ol treat, just not on my offerings either unfortunately.. I try to not go out on weekends just to beat the chaos at the ramp, a lot of people must of had Friday off �£
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 9:00am
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Excuse my ignorance. What is a Salp?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 9:03am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Crochet Cast Crochet Cast wrote:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 5:50pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Originally posted by Crochet Cast Crochet Cast wrote:

Ahh that’s what they’re called. Didn’t realise Snapper ate them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote WillyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 2:24pm
WillyG View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Long time lurker, first time posting.
Only newish to fishing the Tauranga area as i'm here for study and normally fish from Whakatane.

Went for a fish on Saturday morning out front of the harbour entrance, slightly to the west (Matakana Banks?)
Managed 4 Snapper and 1 Trevally in around 2 hours, all on soft plastics. (smallest at 32cm)

Only fishing from a 12ft tinny so don't really like pushing out too far.

I only really fish with plastics and jigs as I don't have a bait freezer where i'm living (might change eventually), but was one of my more successful fishing missions with plastics.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 2:55pm
Silver
Silver

Hey fella, welcome and glad you got yourself a feed! I fish out of a small tinny as well, just shy of 12ft..if you pick your day and conditions there are so many options Wink Especially going towards summer when more snapper in and around the harbour, best of luck 👍
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 6:05pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi guys, stink weather for long weekend so here's a report from wednesday. It was a rostered day off for me and my supervisor took day off as he had mental fatigue. Softbaiting at Motiti and a scallop dive was the plan. Went out of Kaituna cut and fished on sand 10 to 20 mts on the way for not much. The rest of the day we fished around the knoll area of Motiti,  was slow but we ended up with 14 snapper mostly 40 to 50 cm and in good condition. The morning was mint conditions and when forecast easterly turned up my workmate went for a scallop dive which was out of the easterly. 
It took 25 minutes for him to get 40, the area was picked over.  They were also in good condition. Highlight  was last drift for the day, the wind went more to north so went around to Wairere bay and got a few nice snapper in 3 to 4 metres. Big casts ahead with 3/8 jigheads, fast retrieve to avoid snags so snapper would hit hard to catch that moving target(Zman paddlerZ). Real good scrap in shallow water on light gear trying to stop them getting into the weed and rocks. We were stoked to get a good day out before this run of NE weather.
Apologies if I've waffled on a bit but it is an indoors  weekend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 11:37am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shot along Matakahana first thing Sunday.  Managed a good size snapper and a large JD within the first 30 mins then a couple more pannies before the bite shut down once the sun got up higher around 7:30/8 ish.  Headed out to 30m and deployed some burley and managed to add a few more snappers, some Kahawai and Blue cod to the bin before pulling the pin with a mixed bag of 14, was pretty slow going, water temp was well into the 17's which I think will be contributing to the low numbers of snapper in shallower.  Conditions were pretty damn good
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote barafat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 6:25pm
barafat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A question.  How do you harbour fishermen (and ladies) handle the sea lettuce?  Do you retrieve and clear the line regularly or di you just leave it as per usual and hope the fish find their way through the lettuce to the bait.  Are there certain places you can go to avoid the stuff?
Page  <1 389390391392393 413>