FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tauranga fishing

Page  <1 339340341
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 5:00pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Marli, I was running 4 - a bungy off each quarter and a rod each side. One rod's lure double the bungy's length back and the other triple the bungy length. 3 lures from uncle - 2 pink/white, 1 black/purple and one other proven producer. Looking at sea temp http://www.fishtrack.com/fishing-charts/north-new-zealand_58667 I see big area south of Motiti sitting on 21.5 degrees C. Really too far for me - cheaper to buy burley grade 20kg boxes in Cross Street for $55 than do the miles. Got plenty of skippy bait in freezer just needed more for a burley make mission cos my freezers are full of buckets of bits for the purpose.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 6:18pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lizid, nothing wrong with your lure pattern that is for sure. The other thing I find with skippies is that if it is really calm they are often lure shy during the middle of the day, but will bite well early in the morning.

With respect to skippies for burley, one of the things I used to do when we were getting big skippies was to take the fillets off and burley the frames. That way you could get a heap of skippies and it wouldn't take up much room in the freezer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 7:10pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Marli, trolled from 11:30am til about 4pm - sea was lumpy. I normally take the sides off, lay them skin side down then remove the "hump" leaving about 3/8" of flesh on the skin. That "hump" plus head, frame and guts plus the blood from the bottom of the bin all goes into burley pile. The "bait" sides I cut in half, put into small freezer bags and squeeze most air out before freezing. My bait fishing is so efficient that I now have quite a surplus of these quality pieces. I have 2 machines for chopping then mincing up my "brew" and generally aim for 30 - 40% skippy, 20% old pillies and the rest being kahawai and pretty much anything else except snapper (policy decision). This year I have 40kg of minced hoki heads to mix in. Make 4 & 5kg bombs with only enough salt water added to allow mixing (very hard work that bit). Very very effective burly. Now and again have gifted one only to be subsequently pestered by offers to buy more from me - turned down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 8:42pm
Titanium
Titanium

Lizid, sounds like you are onto it. When it is a bit lumpy they usually bite through the day s you must have been in an area with no skippies, they can be hard to find sometimes or just not there at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 6:59pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got on the water this morning at 6.30am in a 14ft tinny my wife made me buy for our trips to Houhora. (true) Way easier to tow for a short day than the Senator.  Started fishing at 7am about 500 metres up from the Matakana Bank in 50 ft.  All over by 8.30 with snapper from 35cm to just over 50.  Home in Rotorua and cleaned up by lunchtime.
Don't have to go far at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 7:03pm
Titanium
Titanium

Well did some miles chasing those elusive skippies today, got 4 early on just outside Pudney and that was it. Spent some time around the 10 mole looking for kingys but only got rats. The tried for a terakihi but only got small snaps. So trolled back in and came across a heap of sign on the bottom in 60m, so down with the kabura and straight into small snapper got 6 32-36cm jobbies plus 82cm kingy which cam home with me, that took ages in that depth of water on the light gear. So all up a pretty disappointing day but got a feed anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Comfortably Numb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:18pm
Comfortably Numb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hello all
As I write this I am in Japan, Tokyo.
Very interesting country, peeps are into their fishing/raw fish.
Couldn't find a fishing shop though.
We have it very lucky in NZ so ... fish on!
Kanpai!
CN
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:31pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Coutta ... what / where is the Matakana Bank? Surely not where those island rascals stash their ill gotten gains? Anyone else ever witness them hauling their nets (that were right across the creek up Blue Gum bay) with 4 wheel drives on the beach?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 4:44pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by lizid lizid wrote:

Anyone else ever witness them hauling their nets (that were right across the creek up Blue Gum bay) with 4 wheel drives on the beach?

There was an old guy, known as Johhny Sausage who grew watermellons on the island.
He used to purchase old station waggons for the locals to net from.
When the vehicle was too rusted out to be useable, he'd buy a new one.
I never actually saw them in operation but well remember the ol' boy telling me how it all worked.
He used to cart around a small chillybin with a dozen cans to get himself through the first part of the day, lol.
Page  <1 339340341