tauranga fishing

Page  <1 403404405
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 5:03pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'd bet my house that one never had milky flesh Kitno. Bloody good looking fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 8:51am
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Finally, some good weather. I have the boat a birthday / Christmas during the crap weather, repainting it and fitting a new canopy. Took her out in the harbour yesterday for a stunning day.
Snapper were hard on the bite at change of tide but lots of small 25cm to 30cm. Managed to keep 2 at 40cm and one trevally.

I noticed that none of them put up much of a fight. Some I didn't even know they were on the line.

The pink flasher rig with lumo on was hit the most. Ironically I wouldn't usually use these, but I forgot my tackle box and I found a new pack of flasher dropper rigs under the seat so I modified it to a 2 hook strayline. It got hit about 3x as often as the bare hooks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 3:45pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My grandson has been nagging me to take him fishing so Saturday made a plan to target Tarakihi out of Town Point its he enjoys that, bad call as wrong time of year and didnt find one. One highlight was he caught a Porae, new specues for him and pretty rare catch, got a few snapper so got a feed or two.
By the way check the Kaituna bar cam, the channel is hard left, they swung the camera today but before that the cam was beach with no river showing. Must all the big storms of late.

Part 2 of this post the grandson and I took our dinghy out in entrance today drifting with sofrbaits and had a much better day. Kept 10 snapper 40 to 50 cm so the boy has now had a good fishing fix.

The moral of the story is fish your feet first.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 3:46pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 4:13pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Before cam got adjusted, wheres Kaitune river
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 4:14pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

After cam adjusted
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 7:12pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

A good lesson Greg.
Your Gson will be hooked for life after nailing that big as Porae.
Nice bin of snaps too ~ & I was too lazy to get my share, lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 9:06am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Found them hanging out in 0.7m last night. A few more tags out there and kept a couple of eaters.

Top 10 finish
2023 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 5:06pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not very busy out there Uncle which is a real bonus this time of the year and only ten trailers at Pilot Bay at 11.00am.

0.7m deep Kitno, gotta love that, the shallower you can catch snapper the better.
You would have motor tilted up to get there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 9:26pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by GregS GregS wrote:

Not very busy out there Uncle which is a real bonus this time of the year and only ten trailers at Pilot Bay at 11.00am.

0.7m deep Kitno, gotta love that, the shallower you can catch snapper the better.
You would have motor tilted up to get there.

They run n fight real good in that shallow water. If my sounder is accurate, I'm guessing that's the depth from the transducer to the sea bed. The water line is maybe 3-400mm above that. So technically I'm possibly in 1m?
Top 10 finish
2023 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 6:29am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

That's correct Kitno. Although if you want too, you can offset it to water line in the sounder settings. I don't do that because, I'd rather know how much water is under the boat.
Page  <1 403404405