tauranga fishing

Page  <1 399400401402403 414>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 2:53pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Waihime .... incoming or outgoingand were you anchored or drifting? Got a window of opportunity tomorrow before eye surgery on Thursday rules me out for 10 days.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 9:08pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by lizid lizid wrote:

Waihime .... incoming or outgoingand were you anchored or drifting? Got a window of opportunity tomorrow before eye surgery on Thursday rules me out for 10 days.

We fished both incoming and outgoing. Caught them at all tides including slack. It was real consistent fishing all the time we were out.
Looking forward to your report tomorrow night, and good luck with the surgery on Thursday Lizid.
I was hoping to get out again this Saturday, but forecast isn’t favourable at this stage. Fingers crossed it improves.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 9:09pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ohh and we drifted only.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 3:17pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

OK ... we (mate & I) were on the water (Bowentown club) at 8:30am this morn. Straight out to 46m (on sounder not plotter) then sideways southwards for less than 1km until an occasional sign was seen. Anchored and (homemade) burley down to 2m off bottom. Gentle ESE current. 1st snapper 35cm almost immediate then more with rests between. Lifted burley another meter and put a 2nd one down on other side. Wind dropped, sea flattened, sun out, sweat on brow from catching and dealing to. Limit of snaps each - most in mid 30s, a couple each in mid 40s. 1 gurnard - good size. 6 trevalli (2 good, 4 medium) and I love my smoked trev. 2 rat kingis - one almost worth a cheat but both returned. 1 good barracuda (with usual tangle). Home for lunch at 12. Real gentlemen's hours. Snapper on ice for firming until morning so won't know condition til then tho most seem chubbyish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 8:54pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

OK ... we (mate & I) were on the water (Bowentown club) at 8:30am this morn. Straight out to 46m (on sounder not plotter) then sideways southwards for less than 1km until an occasional sign was seen. Anchored and (homemade) burley down to 2m off bottom. Gentle ESE current. 1st snapper 35cm almost immediate then more with rests between. Lifted burley another meter and put a 2nd one down on other side. Wind dropped, sea flattened, sun out, sweat on brow from catching and dealing to. Limit of snaps each - most in mid 30s, a couple each in mid 40s. 1 gurnard - good size. 6 trevalli (2 good, 4 medium) and I love my smoked trev. 2 rat kingis - one almost worth a cheat but both returned. 1 good barracuda (with usual tangle). Home for lunch at 12. Real gentlemen's hours. Snapper on ice for firming until morning so won't know condition til then tho most seem chubbyish.

Awesome result Lizid! Hopefully weather is ok for me on saturday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:06pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Saturday not looking that flash but Sunday looks OK.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:39pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good to hear some reports thanks guys, sounds like  fishing is going well at the moment, the weather from now till Monday looks hopeful for getting out there. Waihime keep an eye on  Saturday, the weather is evolving and it might be ok yet, I'm looking forward to getting at least one days fishing out of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 8:03pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Forecast seems to be changing every 5 minutes atm for the weekend. Sunday certainly is the best bet at this stage. Hopefully Saturday will turn it on as I like to muck about and take my time cleaning boat and gear Sunday
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 8:03pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Like nearly every boatie in Tauranga had to go out for a mish before the next front came in.
Launched at the Mt ramp and despite being very busy at my launch time of 0900 was very orderly.
Gave TCG radio my usual trip report and headed out to the "Middle" ground.
Surprisingly no one was around for long and most headed out wide it seemed.
Arrived at a reliable GPS spot and deployed the Minnkota to keep us at anchor.
Well pretty much as soon as the baits (Oiled Barracoota) hit the bottom, there was a steady flow of fish aboard.
Of note was the huge blue cod that went 45cm!
Max Bite time was 04:56 - 06:56 Min 17:22 - 19:22
High tide at 1300hrs.

I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 9:41pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sure was a mint day out there CB, no wonder the ramp was busy, great shot of your sounder. Waihime you were right that easterly quarter wind came up in the early hours of Saturday and put a wobble on the sea.
I took the grandson out Kaituna cut today and went right fishing our way to East Plate. We got 5 snapper and 10 tarakihi, pretty slow but good day out. Highlights were whale watching and a visit from a small shark, the boy was stoked.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 9:41pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 9:42pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 7:52am
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Very cool. Do you know what type of whale it was? And was there just one or a pod? Humpback maybe?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 11:52am
Gold
Gold

I caught quite a few just undersize snapper in the harbour at the weekend (28cm ish), so that is a good sign that we have a good stock in there. I also hooked onto 2 unknown monster species - maybe kingies or small sharks. They took a whole pilchard in the berley trail and raced off - 7kg of drag would barely contain them. One bit or snapped the line, the other shook or spat the hook, or it wasn't hooked well. I got one very close to the boat but didn't see it. Definitely wasn't a stingray. It had headshakes like a snapper, but ran like a steam train. 
Any ideas what it might have been?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 4:06pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Coastbuster - what area were the steamtrains in? water depth?

I shot out along matakhana at first light yesterday morning, the softbaiting was pretty slow and after a couple of hours moved out to around 30m of water, called it quits late morning with 5 trevs, 11 snapper and 12 turkeys in the bin, back at the ramp just after 12, MINT conditions out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 4:34pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Coastbusters I don't know what type of whale, there was just the one and he was swimming around in the same area not going anywhere, maybe feeding. Good to watch as I shut down motor and didnt hace to chase it, bit wary of getting too close after the Kaikoura tragedy. We took of out to sea and when we came back 2 hours later he was still there.
Your bust offs must have been Kingi or Shark.
Good haul strx7, it was a minter alright.
I also we along Matakana Friday avo in my dinghy for a softbait and was pretty slow fishing, I did catch a Stargazer or something, not the most handsome fish fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 6:04pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stargazer is very tasty and excellent for making mock crayfish, as in a crayfish cocktail. Also known in other parts of the world as monkfish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 7:56pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I got out Saturday from Bowentown. Found the schools of Kahawai at about 28mtr mark and did the same as last week drifting around them using a combination of sliders, soft baits and cut baits. Wasn’t having any luck at all and started to think this could be my first day in over 5 years of returning empty handed.
Then midday as tide changed the slider which I just had sitting in the rod holder started to get hit continuously but the bloody things wouldn’t stay on. It was a new lure so eventually after about 5 lost fish I thought I’d wind it in and try the same slider I had success with last week. Thats when I found the small pvc tubes over the end of the hooks!!! Removed them and had 5 good snapper in the bin in 15 minutes before calling it quits.
Then nephew turns up in the afternoon and he wants to go fishing, so off we went again Sunday morning. No Kahawai but found snapper sign on the sounder at 30mtrs. Dragged every lure we had on the boat through them but the weren’t interested in anything. Not a single strike for over an hours effort. So dropped the pick over some sign and deployed a berley. Bonito baits had them on a super hot bite within about 30 minutes. Back at the ramp by midday with a very happy young nephew having caught his biggest snapper ever. Seems like every day is different atm and its just a matter of trying different things to get them to bite.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 9:28pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great work. Not many would have owned that lure snafu. Eyes settling down and outboard getting an error message (low temp) seen to tomorrow - should be good to go again next weather window. Very keen on finding Tarakihi - not had much luck last couple seasons since the trawlers hammered my spot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 7:04am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by strx7 strx7 wrote:

Coastbuster - what area were the steamtrains in? water depth?.

4.5m at the edge of a deep channel,
Page  <1 399400401402403 414>