tauranga fishing

Page  <1 397398399400>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 10:11pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Coutta Coutta wrote:

After a few weeks of **** weather then a week on the West Coast of the South Island (the Hokitika and Greymouth river entrances cured me of any thoughts I had of moving there) I got for a fish out of Tauranga yesterday. I started in 70 ft off the pipe on Matakana Island. A couple of pannie snaps and a 450 mm gurnard. I had a surface burly out as well as one on the bottom but had to leave due to being harrassed by the birds. Moved to the same depth just to the Mount side of Karewa and picked up another few snaps, another gurnard, a good trev and a few kahawai for the smoker. Trout and skippy was about even bait wise.  Back in by 1pm and beat the rush. A lot of boats out. Good day.

Good result Coutta!

How god damn frustrating are those little brown / white birds... Never been so much of a pain in my ass as they have the last few trips! Used to be the bigger brown mutton birds... but now these little buggers LOL
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 10:37am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For dealing with those little birds eating all the berley. I carry a small squirty bottle of vegetable oil. A light squirt on the water surface, about half a teaspoon. Is enough to disperse them. They'll fly off to clean it off their feathers. No harm caused. This technique is advised by sea bird watchers nz.
Top 10 finish
2023 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 11:55am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I just use a water pistol, you occasionally get a hardy one to puts up with it, but usually after a couple of streams of water get them they piss off elsewhere.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 2:56pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A tennis racket works great, and is good fun.

Jokes obvs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 3:28pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Originally posted by Coutta Coutta wrote:

After a few weeks of **** weather then a week on the West Coast of the South Island (the Hokitika and Greymouth river entrances cured me of any thoughts I had of moving there) I got for a fish out of Tauranga yesterday. I started in 70 ft off the pipe on Matakana Island. A couple of pannie snaps and a 450 mm gurnard. I had a surface burly out as well as one on the bottom but had to leave due to being harrassed by the birds. Moved to the same depth just to the Mount side of Karewa and picked up another few snaps, another gurnard, a good trev and a few kahawai for the smoker. Trout and skippy was about even bait wise.  Back in by 1pm and beat the rush. A lot of boats out. Good day.

Good result Coutta!

How god damn frustrating are those little brown / white birds... Never been so much of a pain in my ass as they have the last few trips! Used to be the bigger brown mutton birds... but now these little buggers LOL
Funy how they arrive and sit 6ft away,I always give them scarps and after 10/15 minutes they leave.Usually end up with a shag hanging around and chases what ever we release.Guess thats how the food chain works.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote barafat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 1:47pm
barafat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just wondering whether at this time of the year it is still worth fishing the 15 - 20 meter depths or whether I should be targeting the 40 - 50 meter depths more.  Are there still good catches being made in the lesser depths along Matakana? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 2:12pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

4th July (Belated Post)
Finally got to go for a well overdue fish....been 2 months!!!
Launched at 10am and headed for a scan around at the 5 mile. Low tide on the ebb so expected it to be quiet till incoming. Also the moon was up.
Had to wait till 2pm before the bite came on. Nothing big, all over 32cm but just look at these conditions. Absolutely amazing and really warm with no wind.
Enjoy

I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 2:20pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey CEEBEE when was this? did not look like that yesterday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 2:22pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just updated BELATED post m8
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote barafat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 2:46pm
barafat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Ceebee,
I was out that day at around the 9 mile with very little to show for it.  Sounds like I packed up and came in a little too early.  Beautiful day though.  There were patches of birds working but they seemed to be on krill or small stuff because there were few fish working under themand they weren't interested in a lure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 3:54pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yer, the MAX bite time was 1500 till 1730 and I came home at 1500 so also missed out. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 4:05pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by barafat barafat wrote:

Just wondering whether at this time of the year it is still worth fishing the 15 - 20 meter depths or whether I should be targeting the 40 - 50 meter depths more.  Are there still good catches being made in the lesser depths along Matakana? 

I was out yesterday with my Grandson. A dozen snapper 36 - 50cm from around 20 metres of water off Matakana not quite to Karewa. Bottom burley and ledger rigs did most of the damage. Bait was trout, skippy or fresh kahawai. Fished from 8 till 11 on the incoming tide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote barafat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 7:27pm
barafat View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Coutta.  I was out from 10:00 to 1:00 yesterday at the 40 mtr mark towards Pudney.  Very patchy with 4 snaps caught all under size.  Thought about heading towards Karewa and Matakanabut again the wrong choice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 11:55am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bell rd ramp

Top 10 finish
2023 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 7:01pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Seen a lot on small logs (small enough to miss but big enough to do some serious damage) in the water along the Matua waterfront, be careful if you are out this weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 8:42am
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I saw a weather window yesterday morning so launched at Bell Rd before 7am, pretty muddy there at the moment Kitno.
Shot straight out to the knoll at Motiti and had good snapper fishing with softbaits.
All my fish were caught in 6 to 8m, hardly a boat around which helps with the shallow water fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoolinfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 12:30pm
Skoolinfish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I took that same window, went out from Sulphur Point, was surprised how quiet it was. About a km behind Rabbit there are a couple of rises. Only got 3 snapper and a kahawai but thats enouhg kai for dinner, plus I was back and cleaned up by 10:30.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 2:12pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Kaituna barcam report. Just got off the phone from the BOP Regional Council harbour masters office. I was informed a new contractor is starting this or next week who will be in charge of the camera. I would have thought BOPRC would have had the expertise on board to install it so it actually worked. Hey Greg, I'm looking at going out Thursday. Whats the water depth on the bar like?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GregS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 10:02pm
GregS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Coutta, I thought the depth was pretty good, maybe its had a good blow out with all the rain water, the channel was angling out towards Motiti as it mostly does. Watch  the sharp bends near the cut, the one by the diversion where the other ramp is and the last bend by the coastguard jetty, go wide on those corners, there seems to be more sand etc built up there. Since the diversion the corner by the coastguard jetty seems to have more sand extending out from inside of bend.
Good luck out there, small increase in swell for Thursday but the tides are on your side.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 11:38am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The Kaituna Barcam is up and running at the moment. Brilliant picture but I reckon they could adjust the scan slightly so it goes more to right. Bloody great improvement on what we've had.
Page  <1 397398399400>