tauranga fishing

Page  <1 293294295296297 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:46pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

There's virtually no structure along there Aramoana so there's nothing to hold the fish to any area.
That means the fish are where you find them on the day.
I generally head down toward Karewa Island & start from there BUT, sometimes sign shows along the way so plans go out the window.

After the onshore winds of the past week, having a good look in shallower would be on my agenda.
I'd start looking around 6 mtrs & work out from there.

Any birds working are a good indicator of kahawai & often snapper are in attendance, especially if the birds have been working for a decent period. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 9:48am
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I do much the same, head left but keep my eyes open for any sign of activaty. Sometimes where you find them one day the next there will be nothing around.

Im not sure ive got my sounder set up that well as i dont see much on it haha but if im drifting in 5/10 mtrs im casting well ahead of the boat anyway. i normally only use the plotter to chart my drift in that case.
I have found being steathy helps, the last few hundred mtrs i do as quite as poss, if i can i dont drive over the water im going to fish. I dont fish the same area for too long if nothings there, if i cant find them along the island at 5mtrs i try 10 then 15 etc but im just learning too.
I change colours too till i find something that gets a bite and if its quite normally drag one along behind the boat too but did have more luck with that before xmas??
got these last week so they are there, had to do some scouting to find them though!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JasonEdward62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 9:59am
JasonEdward62 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi good people,
I'm wanting to chase some skippeies and/or albacore this weekend and on light gear if I can find them in numbers.
Looking to launch either Whangamata or Bowentown - I think the warm water is closer in from Whanga??
Any tips on where to find them? Depth. area, best lures currently?

Thanks people
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tga fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 10:44am
tga fisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Aramoana. I do much the same as 14foot too. I thought my sounder wasn't working either but when crusing along slowly if I see even a tiny blip on the bottom I give it a go. I don't usually try in as close as 5m but certainly going too give that a go if nothing deeper. My preferred depth is around 15m and out to 20m. Also head up to the left when heading out the entrance. Trying different colours certainly great advice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 8:43pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Took my step son out harbour fishing last night. Set off from Omokoroa just on dark. Young fella sat there happy as a pig in #### catching jack macs while I casted out baits. When the baits got hit I'd hand him the rod to wind it in. Half a dozen snaps came home with us with the best one going 47cm.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 9:25pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Took my step son out harbour fishing last night. Set off from Omokoroa just on dark. Young fella sat there happy as a pig in #### catching jack macs while I casted out baits. When the baits got hit I'd hand him the rod to wind it in. Half a dozen snaps came home with us with the best one going 47cm.

Nice one, Kitno. I rowed out yesterday up our way with my 3-year-old in the old dinghy - times to treasure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:47pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Had a evening session just before along matakana in the shallows, put 7 snappers and a jonny in the bin so happy days! Had spent the bad weather tieing up some snapper flies on jigheads, wasnt sure how they would go but first cast was a solid hook up. All the hits on them were super aggresive, maybe its that time of year??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Won tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 7:11pm
Won tong View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Haven't been out for awhile... where are the snaps biting ATM or am I better off going out to try catch kings? Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 9:26pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Won tong Won tong wrote:

Haven't been out for awhile... where are the snaps biting ATM or am I better off going out to try catch kings? Cheers

Their biting everywhere at the moment. I'm sitting in the harbour right now, 3 in the bin. Been here since 8:45pm
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:58pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Some good bait schools at the bowentown end of matakana from 5/15 mtrs. Some snappers and good kingies down there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 6:06am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Still good snapper in the harbor, we had the mount Sport Fishing Clubs Kids comp on yesterday and the tide was great for an early harbor fish on the outgoing tide up Omokoroa way. In a couple of hours fishing my two grand daughters (4 and 8) got 11 snapper (upto 2 kg) and 2 trevs (to 2 kg) plus we let some smaller snapper go and a heap of piper. They had a ball but complained a bit about sore arms.

At prize giving Madden (8yr old) who got the big trev got heaviest smallfry other species and Indie (4yr old) who got the 2 kg snapper got 2nd heaviest smallfry snapper and they were over the moon with their prizes. A big thanks to Shirl & Igor and their helpers on the day for a well run comp as always.

This comp is run at the same time every year, and is open to non-members kids as well ($10 entry fee non members and $5 for members), it runs just for the one day, two sections - Juniors (11-16) and smallfry (10 and under). Great prizes and there are heaps of spot prizes on the Friday night briefing and at Saturday's prize giving (all kids get a spot prize each night worth at least the entry fee). So all you Tauranga guys with young kids or grand kids enter them in this next year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slugga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 3:50am
Slugga View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just out of interest - anyone know who owns the 24ft bertram Deception in the Bridge Marina? Nice wee launch but looking at the state of it below water hasn't moved for a while. Had a look after Gone Fishing/ITM take a kid fishing event today. Lots of happy kids and the odd stressed parent. Even a few fish caught.
Konacat Greatwhite - ZMU3871
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 12:51pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hit the water while it was still dark yesterday with a plan of finding the anchovy schools that have bee up matakana way but couldnt find any. Once light enough to fish I flicked around some softbaits on a tiny bit of sign and found the snappers were on the chew. Picked up 13 fish over the next few hours, just stayed on the same drift and didnt even need a shoot with the light winds. Only a few undersized and a few big ones up to 13 lb that were sent back, left me 7 in the 33/35 cm range.
Had a scout up towards bowentown for a kingie but didnt find one, were some big schools of kahawai there though, Did find the anchovies later in the day on the way back down but was nothing eating them so called it a day as had had enough of the swell by then.
Had a try with an Okuma nano matrix 7'9 2/5kg softbait rod paired with a shimano stradic 3000 and really liked it, managed to get the lighter jig heads that bit further out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 2:22pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thats good fishing on softbaits.  I headed out toward Penguin and started pulling skippy lures about 6 ks from Penguin.  One strike and lost.  Nice day so trolled back in toward Karewa.  Got double strikes in the middle of nowhere with no sign.  Ended up with 7.  Nice end to the day with half a dozen pannies off Matakana.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 2:40pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Coutta Coutta wrote:

Thats good fishing on softbaits.  I headed out toward Penguin and started pulling skippy lures about 6 ks from Penguin.  One strike and lost.  Nice day so trolled back in toward Karewa.  Got double strikes in the middle of nowhere with no sign.  Ended up with 7.  Nice end to the day with half a dozen pannies off Matakana.

Choice one whats a good speed for trolling for skippys? Pretty keen to give it a go, have to be a good day though for my little tinny
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 5:54pm
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

for skippies 11km/hr does it for me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 5:59pm
Cocker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The one with blue hull? Saw it there 2 years ago.Got one myself. What a waist eh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jack Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 7:32pm
Jack Hammer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

First fish in ages on Saturday and it was a good one.  Early start and as many snapper as you wanted at the Papamoa end of Motiti. Soft baits at anchor were even working.  Bin filled so went targeting a kingfish at Okaparu Reef.  Schools of kahawai and trevs everywhere.  Jigged up plenty of kings but all too small.  Spotted a white dolphin between Motiti and Okaparu.

There were a lot of boats on the water and Sulphur point ramp was......'entertaining'.  Confused

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Won tong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 8:10am
Won tong View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Had a good fish up matakana on bait then got a few on softies in 5metrws heaps of big bait balls in there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SliderC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 10:00am
SliderC View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice catch won tong Thumbs Up 

Page  <1 293294295296297 413>