Spotlight options for boat

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 12:21pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Phantom Menace Phantom Menace wrote:

Steps - you can delete old pics if you like.  It is not restricted at all by "admin permissions".  

Click on "Member Panel" then "File Manager" then select the pic you want and click the delete button.  

It's simple.

Bear in mind that it will make the posts that included that pic less useful as the pic will no longer show in the post.

I had forgotten how to do this as it's been some time since I have deleted a pic so TBH it took a few seconds to find - but it's there.
So you can't clean up the old library of pics without taking them out of the old posts either?
Thats not very useful?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 1:05pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks AP, never thought of night vision …hmmm.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 2:18pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Depends what you want to use it for I guess. I think the one thing you can take from this is it is tricky getting the right setup you want, and working properly.
It is easy to night blind yourself. It sounds simple, but it is not straight foward.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 2:22pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

thanks AP, never thought of night vision …hmmm.

He's got me thinking too

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 2:38pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steps - you can delete old pics if you like.  It is not restricted at all by "admin permissions".

Sry those permissions have not been granted ever since being a member...
 And its good practice for Admin not to do so, or at least limit those permissions to certain groups..mods, groups of members with a 'senior ' statis etc.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 2:47pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anyway, here as promised, few closeup pic of Hella Sea Hawk-470 light bar.
Some time i've installed in the back two Sea Hawk-XL dual colour (blue&white) LED lights.
Hope that helps someone/ anyone who considering fitting one of those lights.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 3:03pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 3:22pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

those vids looked great 

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 5:48pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

So you can't clean up the old library of pics without taking them out of the old posts either?
Thats not very useful?
Alan

That was an assumption based on how the site used to work.  I will test it now by including a pic then deleting the pic from my pics on the site.  Various forum used to do it that way so that they would only have one copy of a pic stored on the servers rather than multiple copies taking up space.

If you see a pic below then I was wrong.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 5:51pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What pic

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 6:01pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Cannot delete also comes up with something Administrator.

Click file managment,then brings up photo,select photo,hit delete  tab,pop up appears ,do you want to delete,yes. then up pops above message.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 6:10pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by RockCrashing RockCrashing wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFUUzbySaGw

Two videos from Hella.
Did you notice they werent bow on for too long and you couldnt see nav lights,best thing at night is head up away from screen lights or dim and natural darkness,found spots give a false sense of distance,things appear closer than they actually are.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 6:32pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Originally posted by RockCrashing RockCrashing wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFUUzbySaGw

Two videos from Hella.
Did you notice they werent bow on for too long and you couldnt see nav lights,best thing at night is head up away from screen lights or dim and natural darkness,found spots give a false sense of distance,things appear closer than they actually are.
Haven't seen the vid - but this is my experience too.
Have a mate with a 7m Surtees. He wanted to rig it for night stuff to fish before dawn like me. I don't use my lights for that. He had the boat rigged up - and had to travel thru a minefield of reef/bommies to get to clear water, then thru a narrow channel to open sea. We could not see a thing with his lights on. He thought it was going to be like headlights on a car - but forgot - no reflector markers, center line etc. I told him before. Eventually he agreed to switch them off - but could not navigate in the dark on instruments. Finally gave the helm to me. Not as easy as it looks.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 8:35pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My 2c I am often heading wide in the wee hours and lighting is well worth it. 
I was like above, hand held spot out the side waved around by crew. Not very good. I now have 2x LED light bars. The one on the roof is super grunty 200+ watt it needs serious wiring and a relay. You can see the drain on the battery when this puppy gets lit up. It has the disadvantage of reflections off the bow. I use this when I am close to land and could possibly encounter a cray pot buoy or similar (includes idiots with zero lights). The second and smaller light bar is mounted on the bow rail. This I can leave on most of the night trips as it has no reflection but I'm not hopeful of it's durability at this location. Waterproof etc but it's only been there a couple months. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 7:13am
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just thought id chime in with pointless information.

We have a 20inch led bar on the roof of the little bathtub which is only good for mourings and anchored vessels when navigating in the wee hours of the morning. Absolutely kills any night vision with the reflection etc

On my ute ive got a 42 inch lightbar mounted on my roof tray and 2x 9inch spotlights. The light bar essentially floods light to the same distance as what my highbeams reach. The spotties do around 1.3km of light.

When driving along a beach at night it still doesnt seem like a lot of light..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 8:33am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Flood light: floods a close area with light
 Spot light, narrow beam of light that goes for.. miles.
Car headlights are sort of a mix between the 2 .. a spot that spills quite a bit light outside the edges.

So it sort of like sound proofing, weather to insulate or or to stop reverberation depends very much on source, sound and type of panel.

Back in the day (way pre leds) I put flood on the top rail behind the cab on my datsun ute (thats goes back a bit and was brand new)...reflected light back ff the hood, and in rain, hopeless... but excellent for  lighted work area in front.
Then added with a couple spots (interdependent circuits) and if directed beams to miss the end of the hood (bonnet) excellent... as work lights, lot dark shadows, limited area from each spot.
Floods reflect real bad

That little spot on the front cnr of of my cabin, does work reasonably , other wise would have removed it yrs ago.
It is angled to just miss the bow, but still slight spillage/ reflection...But still see the water out in front enough to pick up anything un lit traveling at speed on flatish water, and slower speed with bit of swell/ chop.
Going towards harbour , moorings etc ...the beam is too narrow to pick up stuff when direct changes.
And thats when the hand spots by crew come in.

Now effective hand spots by crew is very dependent on instructions of what you need at the helm.
Basically they pick out and object/ obstacle up front on their side of the boat... and hold that object in the beam until we have nearly drawn level, then go to the next , and next... Do not shine it directly on other boats, shore or people.. that really p155es my off so I  make a point of not doing it
I thought about going to those remote control spots..then scraped the idea, rightly or wrongly, not just because of the cost..reason was ideally need 2 spots for both sides... like car headlights go (sort of ) left and inside the center line of the road. So at the helm, watching controls , then add to that , remotely moving spots from one object to the next, steer...

That spot on the front cnr of the cabin, thu not as good as would like has picked up  a log out off Anita (bottom end) couple times a small un lit  dingy fishing in Waiheke channel, a kayak off dudders,  couple long line bouys off the front of pakatoa...all at bottom end of cruise speed in a slightly choppy water to flat.

Page  <12