Spirits bay advice

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pawan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spirits bay advice
    Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 7:15pm
Pawan View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys, I am heading to spirits bay for the first time. Never fished anywhere far that up north before. Really excited about it espicaly reading old reports about it. Will be staying there for 2 nights, any recommendations on any other locations.

Was planning to fish the spot called rod holders and primarally stickbaiting. Is this spot accessible on all tides or only on low tide? And is it possible to access the end of those rocks ?

Thanks
Pawan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishFingers29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 8:21pm
FishFingers29 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Was up at spirits over Xmas. Did all of my fishing surfcasting at night. Caught nothing but a large tope, others had some success with snapper. Saw a guy land a Kingi off the island. Rod holders can be fished over the high tide but you’re best to access towards the bottom end of the tide unless you want to swim... good luck!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pawan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:03am
Pawan View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for that fishfingers. Will try and access rod holders on low tide. Will update it after the weekend on how I go!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:40am
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Rodholders can be accessed 2-3 hrs after high.  If stick baiting I suggest going further along to Bucks Ledge.  This is as far along the rocks you can go before striking an impassable crevice.   Google earth it to see what I mean.  A lot more current, water movement etc.  Because the ledge is steeper then rodholders, fighting a fish can be more of a challenge. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pawan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:49pm
Pawan View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Shilo, thank you for the recoomendation. Just to understand the spots would

No 1 be rod holders 

no 2 be bucks ledge.

Thanks again for your help. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:50pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1 is rod holders, 2 is the end point unless you want to abseil best to stay away from there, bucks is about 2cm back towards rod holders, that shadow you can see is a gut you can't get past walking round the rocks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 8:10am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

2 is Hoopers Point and to get there you need to walk over the hill and then down to the point. No abseiling required.

Bucks and rod holders both easily accessible from around half tide and you can stickbait all along that ledge really as long as not others fishing etc

The island is also worth a shot but watch the tide as have had to swim back before. Wife wasnt too impressed LOL

Good luck!
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pawan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 3:17pm
Pawan View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks jk and deacs, will try and get to hoppers point as well. Will put up a report on how I go this weekend.!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 4:19pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you're camping take loads of anti-mozzie spray.
It's a magic place - enjoy👍
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 4:33pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have known a few try to get to hoopers and turned back as it was too steep, i would suggest ropes at least, but let us know if you get onto it maybe we just didn't have the balls
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pawan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 5:24pm
Pawan View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys sorry for the late report had a busy week on getting back. Spirits bay was a great place we had great weather. Unfortunately not much fish was caught got a few good sized kawahai, 1 trev and got one snapper when casting of the beach at night. Got to bucks ledge and rod holders unfortunately had loads of sharks swimming around. Never seem so many sharks before! Tried to get to hoppers point but turned back because we didn't think we could get down there.

We had two decent sized kingfish turn up but weren't interested in either the live bait or the stick baits.

We even saw the big bronze waler that was in the news! Was certainly scary!! Haha. People at the campsite mentioned that there was a big great white swimming around the bay as well. On the last day on the way back we stopped over at te hapua wharf and first cast on the stickbait got a rat kingy which was fun! But went completely dead after. The locals were saying the fishing has been bad because of the sharks.

Spoke to a guy in the camp site who came back from cape Maria van deemen who caught a 16 kg kingfish!

But will be definetly looking forward to going back there!

Thanks every one for your advice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 10:48am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cool place to explore and on the right day can produce stonker greenbacks. I took a walk in the evening at high tide while we had some drinks at the beach few years back. I didnt walk far along the cliffsbut saw a bloody solid kingi chasing bait into a cave. That was surreal.

The bay is a nursery for juvenile great whites. We caught 3 as by catch while we anchored up for the night on our way back from 3 kings.