Southland Divers

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kuuni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Southland Divers
    Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 11:14am
kuuni View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

In less than a month I'll be in sunny, sunny Invercargill and staying for at least a year - so, where the heck can I dive down there? Are regular dives even possible or is it only on rare calm days?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote oldfela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 12:00pm
oldfela View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Kuuni, give this guy a call hes in dunedin, but knows all the boys down there,
here is the details for the south Island champs,would be a good place to meet most of the divers from down that way
Entry form attached
Kelvin Milne   [email protected]

SI spearfishing  champs 2011

Date : 5th February 2011
Registration & Briefing : 8:00 am Tautaku Beach Carpark
Competition Start :10:00am              Competition Finish : 2:00pm

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote oldfela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 12:22pm
oldfela View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

there is some very good diving to be had down the bottom of NZ heeps of paua crays  trumpeter ,  and the water can be very clear , there is a club in Invercargill
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 12:35pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is plenty of great diving around Southland - trumpeter, blue cod, butterfish, Blue moki, paua and crays. Bluff has some good diving, right from the harbour entrance and along the coast. Some good shore diving around the Catlins. There are heaps of options. I can give you some contacts if you PM me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kuuni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 2:00pm
kuuni View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Argh, bugger - I won't be there til the 6th Ouch  Cheers though.
What's the club name?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 3:32pm
Philip van Zijl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I will be shifting to Oamaru on the 30th - I will have a boat by then text me or call my on 021 026 26667 or at the Oamaru Library.
Never underestimate and old man with a spear gun ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote oldfela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 3:46pm
oldfela View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I,ve edited my post with kelvin,s contact he will be able to give you a lot of info

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kuuni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 5:23pm
kuuni View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great! Thanks guys - now I've just gotta sort a 7mm suit Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote oldfela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 6:13pm
oldfela View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

you should only need a 7mm for winter, I dived down there in the comps in a 5mm for 4 hours with out getting cold
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote redfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 9:35am
redfox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Kuuni, I head down to Invercargill fairly regularly for work. Will be down twice in Feb if you want to catch up for a swim at some point.

I've done a little in the Catlins from time to time but that's about it. Often see divers out by the lighthouse in Bluff, looks pretty nice around that area.

Andrew

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 9:45am
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by oldfela oldfela wrote:

you should only need a 7mm for winter, I dived down there in the comps in a 5mm for 4 hours with out getting cold
Yep, 5mm is OK for much of the year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote clash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 3:12pm
clash View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

gidday I'm looking at going spearing in fiordland. Is it possible to spearfish in milford sound without a boat? and is there very good access if so?

- cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 5:47pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not really, the bit you can drive too is dominated by the river/estuary. That said, I haven't dived that far in. So if you can get below the freshwater layer, you might find something. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:06pm
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by clash clash wrote:

gidday I'm looking at going spearing in fiordland. Is it possible to spearfish in milford sound without a boat? and is there very good access if so?

- cheers
Seem to remember a fair chunk of milford is a reserve. Check out the brown trout under the fishermans warfes. But don,t touch the fisherman treat them as pets lol.
If you can get down to one of the other sounds like "George" or an area called the fingers???. We got pup hapuka in 50ft of water along with the cod, trumpeter etc. The crays can get to scary size in shallow too.

CBF
Whk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 7:57am
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mean. Were you spearing the puks?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kuuni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:30am
kuuni View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'll be interested to hear if you go! I think I cleared out all the cod from my first spot... Cry
...Need to dive somewhere new...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:44am
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

No we were anchored for the night in one of the sounds and someone dropped a line over the side. After been in the water all day spearfishing was not high on the agenda. Saw one or two while picking pua along the north side of charlky inlet. The crays in the photo came from the southern end of Fiordland were gathered for a function in about 20minutes by three free divers the size limit was they had to fit in the pot we had so we left bigger ones alone.
CBF
Whk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:45am
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Whoah! So you actually saw a couple? Awesome. More info, more info!!!!!!
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:49am
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Trip to Fiordland to satisfy your mainland Puk fetish LJ??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 10:17am
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!
DD has suggested it may not be that easy but...what would he know?
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Page  12>