Southern Bluefin Tuna Updates 2019

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Southern Bluefin Tuna Updates 2019
    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 12:59pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Update from Ben Carey

*This just in by Graham Beaufill on the boat 'Lured' targeting southern bluefin tuna of Waihau Bay yesterday (11 June 2019) �£�£

Sent in by Graham Beaufill, Graham says
" Hi Ben, just got home from Waihau Bay.
"Had southern bluefin tuna porpoising and feeding at 2150 metres around the boat yesterday off Hicks Bay".

Graham says, " We got to within 50 metres of them but they sounded and stayed down deep around 150 metres".
"We are fishing wider and further east but there are definitely tuna there though.
"We found some bait from 300 metres out to 1400 metres out of Waihau Bay, but the best sign we found for bluefin tuna was further around , in 1200 metres of water out to 2400 metres off Hicks Bay.
Beyond 2400 metres the temperature was going well over 17.4 degrees but the bust ups of bluefin tuna was in 17.1 degrees.
There apparently was a southern bluefin tuna also caught by another vessel yesterday also.

So there you have it, take this information as you wish, and thanks to Graham Beaufill on the boat 'Lured' for the report.
A bit of interesting information for those planning on targeting tuna this weekend anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 7:04am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

From Waihau Bay GameFishing Club

If you are coming to Waihau Bay to fish for SBT please remember to show respect at all times. Keep the road clear for local traffic to get to the shop and Lodge. Do not dump any offal. Weigh masters will be able to help you if possible. Remember the allowance of one fish per person.
Today Club Talk weighed two fish 70.6 and 61.2 caught Azure Lures. Reel Game also had two fish both 78 kgs caught in Trophy Lures (NZ). Strictly Fishing had a strike of five fish, landed two, tagged two and lost one. Great effort with two on board.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 12:24pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

awsome !! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 8:42pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

From Waihau Bay GameFishing Club:

Today about 14 boats and 9 fish.
If you are fishing here please try and get your fish in for weighing before dark. Definitely no dumping of any offal or frames on or anywhere near shore.
Take care out there
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 9:48pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Going for a look next week hopefully the weather plays nice.

A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote beer_cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 7:03pm
beer_cruiser View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Any news?
Seems to be a lot of big trailer boats moving between Tauranga and Opotiki when I was down that way
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 9:11pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Good action today @ the 1000m contour according to Trophy Lures
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 6:35am
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

heard one caught had a sand paper tag in it ,very coolCool

Sand paper is Ozzy if you wernt sure lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RAMCO600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 9:14am
RAMCO600 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sure did we caught it on Wednesday, it's going to be cool to see it movements
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 1:38pm
seawolf View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

1000 meter contour around the sea valley, see them on the sounder and lots of big albacore scools as well!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 5:37pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great fish, nice line weight result.

Where is sea valley?
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 5:42pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We where fortunate to get one ourselves on a spur of the moment jaunt.
Looking forward to eating it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 6:18pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work Matto. How deep. I have been down twice in the last 2 weeks first trip only caught a few skippys 2nd trip caught a few Albies biggest 19.2kg other were a bit smaller. Only kept a couple each and let a few go. You dont own a BT50 as I seen one day a BT50 had lights left on and the trailer had southern sport on it.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 6:51pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Muzz,
Can't afford a bt50, that would be nice.
Just an old landcruiser.
Approx 1800 m.
NNE of lottins.
First time to waihau and second day fishing for them.
Second to last fish on my list now, one to go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:17pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

very well done Mattoo, what was the weight and any exciting story to tell the class?Clap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:19pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great to meet you Mattoo, apologies for not shaking your hand but diesel handshakes dont go down wellLOL. Good to see you got a fish, tried calling you on the VHF after we got our fish. 82.4kg and 130.8 from a double back at the ramp by 8.30 for weighing. Didnt bother carrying on trolling as 2 fish were more than enough.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:27pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

yo Mattoo
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:29pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Holy crap,
There amazing.
Not sure why I had such poor reception, that's unusual I'll have to check.

Diesel, an every day thing for me, The noise of your private refinery was my biggest challenge.

I'll have to call you and have a proper yarn.

Beautiful fish.
Nice rig you run too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:34pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fantastic guys, some great looking fish
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:37pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes Al,
Like most fisherman there's always a story.

I suppose there is a tail there, with newborns, unexpected leave passes, crew from kaitaia, non stop driving, lack of sleep,a crew full of flu, no idea what were doing, endless plan changes, Lady Luck in spades, epic environments and people, generosity of support received and given.
Tall tales lies and shattered bodies swathed in memories of satisfied success of goals achieved.
Yeah maybe a tale to tell.
Page  123>