FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Southern Bluefin Tuna Updates 2019

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:20pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

BIG tuna will also hit very small lures it seems, summertime it would only likely be a skippy, alby or occasional mahi.

Marlin will quite happily go through a pattern of bigger lures to nail a 3 or 4 inch skippy lure at the back of the boat, so always run your skippy lures on an outfit than can at least give you a fighting chance when this happens.
[/QUOTE]

Ask Matt what eats skippe lures ! LOL he had a black a year or so back - landed it to, more due to light line angling skill rather then line wright and capacity
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:29pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

BIG tuna will also hit very small lures it seems, summertime it would only likely be a skippy, alby or occasional mahi.

Marlin will quite happily go through a pattern of bigger lures to nail a 3 or 4 inch skippy lure at the back of the boat, so always run your skippy lures on an outfit than can at least give you a fighting chance when this happens.

Ask Matt what eats skippe lures ! LOL he had a black a year or so back - landed it to, more due to light line angling skill rather then line weightand capacity
[/QUOTE]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 6:00pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Too true, we had a full spread of lures out and this black came in and smashed the albie lure. I still tell my mate I was thinking about cutting the line as we would have no chance of landing it. We landed it, and learnt a lot about using drag, line belly, and fish was 10 to 1 ratio.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 4:54pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I could not of landed that fish without a top crew, first mate and excellent skipper.
Rolled into one that's Ynot.
Great experience thanks Geoff.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 4:36pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hoping this works.
PEI Blue fin tuna,
The beginning of the comeback and an interview with Peter P.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phzIOzw0Q14
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 6:22pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep it worked Mat,

Cool info and developments from 2011, I wonder how the tuna are fairing there today?

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 7:01pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I believe the fishery is quite healthy for fish, charter, commercial and tourism.

Tony Orton is a regular up there.
It would be great dor his input here.
Page  <123