Softbait - rod and reel combo

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lrs96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Softbait - rod and reel combo
    Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 9:16am
Lrs96 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys

New to soft baiting - wanting to use my boat rod initially, wanting to know if it will be fine

Rod: Shimano Raider BTR 7 Foot 10-15kg
Reel: Shimano Baitrunner 12000OC
Spool: 15kg mono

If this is no good please recommend a cheapish setup

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 9:37am
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I don’t think that combo will work very well for soft baiting. Too heavy and you definitely want to use braid with a mono or fluorocarbon leader. Mono mainline has way too much stretch

Suggestion for an affordable combo would be the NEW Shimano Nasci FC in a 3000 or 4000 size and a 7ft Catana rod rated 5 to 9kg.

There are plenty of options available go into a tackle shop and ask their advice but be prepared to spend $250+
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 9:54am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

LRS, best to use a dedicated softbait rod & reel. People do get by with other stuff but heavy gear isn't much fun to use - especially a set as heavy as you have. Mono is not good for softbaiting or jigs - it stretches way to much and as most softbaits are small and light, you will have trouble telling when you hit the bottom - if at all as the buoyancy of line that heavy will not only help float the lure but that line will have too much drag in the water

I have a budget set that cost about $200 (a few years ago now) on a Catana rod with a 4000 reel similar to what Crochet Cast suggests, loaded with 10lb braid and that will handle most applications.

Yes you can use heavier braid/reels/rods but the lighter gear will perform better and be more fun to use.

I'm not familiar with the reel CC mentioned but that sounds like great advice to me.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 11:30am
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The 2021 Nasci FC has some significant upgrades from the previous FB model. Might be a little hard to find in NZ but smart marine seem to have the best price ATM.

Looking at the schematics the Nasci FC is basically a Stradic FK except it uses an oscillating gear rather than the worm gear used in the Stradic.

Screw in handle, core protect sealing, decent main gear and a good drag the 2021 Nasci FC looks like real value to me.

Probably worth upgrading to carbon drags once the felt ones get worn.

A cheaper option would be the Sienna which is an OK reel and will work but is unsealed and a bit agricultural. They are don’t like the salt much without regular maintenance and not worth fixing once they start running rough.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lrs96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 9:44pm
Lrs96 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys - I’ll look in to a bit more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 7:03pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Crochet Cast Crochet Cast wrote:

The 2021 Nasci FC has some significant upgrades from the previous FB model. Might be a little hard to find in NZ but smart marine seem to have the best price ATM.

Looking at the schematics the Nasci FC is basically a Stradic FK except it uses an oscillating gear rather than the worm gear used in the Stradic.

Screw in handle, core protect sealing, decent main gear and a good drag the 2021 Nasci FC looks like real value to me.

Probably worth upgrading to carbon drags once the felt ones get worn.

Great input, there, from someone who obviously knows their stuff.
I think as a beginner it's worth spending a little more than absolute lowest budget, mainly for a reel that will do the job if you hook something decent.
Otherwise you'll soon find yourself wanting an upgrade, and that initial outlay is pretty much wasted.

As the others have said, your heavy mono straylining outfit isn't suitable.